Thread: No luck with differential whine

No luck with differential whine

Still have rediculous differential whine from 60 mph and up. Had the local rep ride in it and he says he owns one and it is normal. Personally I don't buy it, I will be going to the Ocala meet and will ask to ride in others, and have them ride in mine. If they have it I will shut up and try dynamat to quiet the cabin. If they don't I am going to be asking for help with signatures for my petition to Isuzu. Appreciate any further comments and help.

Angry yup

im kinda in tha same boat too, so if it isnt to much ima probly wanna bum a ride with some one also @ tha meet to hear the difference. In return ill offer a ride as well ....x

Might want to take it to an idependent mechanic and get a quote from them on the problem and then return to the dealer with it in hand. What weight fluid are you running and what is the average temp where you are now? What is your mileage? Have you changed fluids at the intervals in the manual? See manual for proper weight for your area.

I had a very similar problem. The diff whined under acceleration and stopped when you lifted off the throttle. I had raised the issue with two dealers on four occasions and they just said it was normal.

Last week I took my VX into a third dealer for the 30K service and I asked them to check out the while. They told me the diff is shot and have ordered all new parts.

You know your truck best and what is "normal' or not. Make them look into it further if you feel that something is really wrong.

I wouldn't buy it either. a differential whine generally comes from an improper ring and pinion setting. If it hasn't done it forever, then most likely either the carrier bearings are going bad, or the pinion depth is changing. Change pinion depth could be caused by pinion bearings, or something as simple as the need to re-torque the nut on the yoke. (on the outside where it bolts to the driveline flange) I would try that first. I believe it is supposed to be 200 ft/lbs but don't quote me on that one.
    Andy
    Its the thrill of the chase

TECHHARDT, I am having the exact same symptoms, please let me know what the diagnosis was, and any other info that may be of help convincing my dealer we have a problem. If you can it would be great to have the info of the dealer that is making your repair. thanks

Problem sounds like gear whine to me.

Torque on the Yoke is 46 Ft Lbs
    Neither ordinary or extraordinary, just indefatigable.

2000 VX Green Dragon- Chick Demagnitizer-Supercharger-Injen Intake- Cold air box-K&N- Power Vault SS Exhaust-265-75-16 BFG MT kms-On Board CO2- Custom Boulder Bars- Custom Skid plates- PIAA 520 Fog Lites-3inch lift with OME 912 Springs-LINE X Bedliner on Cladding & Hood Insert-ARB Front Lockers & Custom Bull Bar. Vintage Offenhauser Hood scoop Thule Rack. XM Radio-Custom Storage Box-First VX to surmount the RUBICON.Thanks Sierra Stompers

Its a high pitched ring 60 mph and above, I am willing to try a different oil, what weight should I use for Fla. and which synthetic does the board like the best?

I only use Amsoil for my tranny & gears! Best stuff around.
    http://www.amsoil.com/products/tgr.html

75W-90, don't forget the rear needs LSD additive.

Dave...
    Always a kid at heart!

Fluid required depends on temps in your area - Royal Purple has a great new 75-140W that works in the widest temp ranges and can be used front and rear. Most synthetics, including AMSOIL, do NOT require the LSD additive.