Thread: Rally Cross.........

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rally Cross.........

The whole reason i bought my vx was too go rally crossing and to my surprise i was hanging with the STI boys.
    I pimped her out and we had 4 drivers which calculated up to being 29 competition runs in one day!!!
    The damage for such punishment was: My hood lock got loose, my battery died, and i knocked the right exhaust loose. Not bad at all...
    Thats one tough truck! I had 4 offers for her by the end of the day.lol

The real damage was when i got back to my apartment and some one broke out the window to try to steal my cheep CD player. they broke the small window just behind the door on the passenger side. You know the one no longer available from any one! I used "www.car-part.com to find a used one.

Not the best rallyX vehicle, but it is fun nevertheless. I had mine on some trails some time back that are used for Group N rally and she was a whale on a skateboard trying to ride on a thread. Tons of fun but definately not a vehicle to compete in rallyX unless its some sort of SUV class, heh.

I have a WRX as well and it has had its fair share of autoX. Sadly, the VX will never see an autoX course because I dont want to have to roll her back over onto her shoes, heh.

Sucks about your break in. Garage FTW!
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

The times I have noticed either equal performance- or close to it- is short, tight-turn courses that dont allow the turbo cars to get into boost very long. Having a N/A 6 cylinder is great for the short corner to corner stuff. Less shifting, lag, and more steering focus for the turns. Also, when the course gets a little rough, some wont push their daily driver very hard, the VX takes it better unless the other cars are modified with suspension goodies. I think I ran 1st gear the whole course, with a couple upshifts to second on 2 of the longer legs. Other than that I had both hands on the wheel, fully focusing on my cornering. I noticed that the 5 and 6 speeds were shifting a whole bunch, probably wasnt an advantage for that race, never getting past lag, and one car lost a tire from their wheel using low pressure when they caught traction sideways which = a DNF.

As much as I love STIs and would love to own one, 17" wheels without the ability to downsize due to their wonderful brakes just arent the best for rally. I would probably opt for a WRX due to the 5 speed (although the 6 speed does help on some tracks), smaller brakes for smaller wheels, and less wallet dumping as I thrash a perfectly good car

Talking

If you can keep the tires on the rim you can dominate rallycross and even frighten the Subie crowd into jaw-dropping awe. www.rallyrebels.com Check out the pics and videos.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Black View Post
    If you can keep the tires on the rim
    Thats easy...Beadlocks!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

44 psi and stiff wall tires worked well for me. WRX are nice but the trans i think arew made of glass, damn they have a high failure rate when pushed hard. STI i love but the price tag is rather large to beat it like i did my vx.

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    Thats easy...Beadlocks!
    I've thought about that as I need to come up with something once I start running the Ebony in stage rally. Thought I'd give rally tires a shot on the Nissan 15" wheels I've got first, especially since the Ebony will be significantly lighter than stock. Plus stage rally isn't as tight as rallycross so hopefully that will reduce the almost constant lateral stress on the front tires.

this guy got a few pics of the event.
    http://www.printroom.com/ViewGallery...lery_id=888844

Quote Originally Posted by Rene M View Post
    this guy got a few pics of the event.
    http://www.printroom.com/ViewGallery...lery_id=888844
    That early year Subie RS(Ti) on the first page is HOT! Wish I could get my hands on one.