Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Will NOT start!!!

Angry Will NOT start!!!

Washed it, put it in garage Saturday with full tank of gas, checked oil and did not drive it till today. Well I attempted to. It will turn over fine but seems a lack of fuel. If I gas it and hold it it will run, let off gas she dies. Any ideas out there? please chime in.........

Maybe you shouldn't have 'wqashed' it. (Couldn't resist)

Are you getting a check engine light? My first guess would be the mass air flow sensor. Try removing the airfilter & blowing some air through it.

Dave, sounds like it may be a fuel pressure regulator...not a big deal if that's the case.

Got it to run via applying gas and eventaully it continued to run on its own, seemed alittle unstable with RPM's. I am wanting to get it to Isuzu not sure what to have them do to diagnos problem.

i would agree with chopper.. id start off with the fuel pressure regulator.. its an inexpensive part (50) and takes about 30 minutes to replace.. has done wonders for my idle and rpm drops

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Cheapest thing to do first is to look at the gas filter and make sure it's not blocked with crud - $10 part and a few minutes for the swap. Run some gas treatment through your take to melt out any water would probably also be a good idea - those two things are cheap and may fix the issue. Next I'd look to cleaning the EGR and Throttle Body (might as well change out the PCV as well) - that can affect the idle by fooling the EGR, as this may be an idle issue (running too lean or rich will affect the motors ability to idle) - once again cheap fixes. After that I'd look at the fuel pressure regulator - some have reporte improved mileage by replacing with new so there could be an added benefit. It's hard to tell exactly what's going on if you aren't throwing a code.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Maybe- if you washed it, you got water in some engine electric stuff? Until it dries out, it may not run/run well. Used to be a big problem with distributor/older cars and wiring looms under the hood. Not as common today, but possible. If you can get it to run well enough to warm up under the hood, and it goes away, this was probably the case. I wouldn't panic just yet. Maybe eyeball all your fluids, filters, dash lights, etc. before warming it up as a precaution.

I just had the same problem and they had to replace my intake gasket. I don't know why yours would alll of a sudden start acting up but mine did that same thing. Good Luck.

George

Intake gasket replacement was on down the list of causes - I was trying to give a list of cheap "first tries" - the VX manual has the wrong torque values for the intake so they are generally over-torqued, causing gasket failure over time (even if not immediately apparent).

-- John

What it the correct torque on the intakes? I'll make a notation in my manual.

navistar

Revised value is 13 ft lb (think the old was 17?).

-- John

Seems it worked its self out. Got it running long enough to work out whatever caused it not to want to fire up. Ran rough for a while but longer it ran and idled better it got. Has been good all day.. Would like to know what casued it to have the problem for piece of mind...

I'm betting that it'll happen again, and that the cause is trash in your gas filter.

-- John

Just replaced fuel filter couple months back so unless I got soem really dirty gas not sure.

VX Adopted Out. 2005 BMW 325CI & 2006 4Runner.
    does sound like the fpr to me. i had the same issue (sounds like it anyway). had is replaced. fell in love with the vx once again!

(funny how small victories can make me so happy...)

-biju.

He lingers -- happily -- in a new hybrid state of semi-hormonal adolescence and responsible self-reliance.