I had this leak on my power steering. It was there since I bought the VX. It was using about 1 quart every two weeks. Annoying and stains everywhere I parked!

Right after I bought the VX, I degreased the area around the pump, hoses, and steering box to locate the source of the leak. I let it run for a few minutes and the first drip came from what seemed to be the output shaft of the power steering gearbox. I asumed it was the seals in the gearbox leaking.

A new steering gearbox costs $400 - $700 so I wasn't looking forward to that. I found a seal kit, ordered it, then got a call and was informed that it would be back ordered up to four weeks. I deciced to wait and investigate further so I cancelled the order.

Fast forward a few months to this past weekend. I decided to pull the steering box and have a look. After a complete disassembly, I found NO wear on the seals that would cause a leak. In fact, the internals looked to be in great shape.

So I reinstalled the the gearbox, topped off the fluid and started the engine. I let it run only a minute and there was that drip. I shut it down and started tracing the oil trail. There was drip spot on top of the gearbox. Hmmmm... I removed the protective plastic covering that winds around the pressure hose from the power steering pump to the gearbox. The hose was wet with oil!! I dried it all off, cleaned it with spray-on parts cleaner and fired it back up.

AH HA!! There it was, right next to the crimped metal sleeve on the end of the hose that connects to the pump. I needed a pressure side power steering hose assembly. I called every parts house on the island, nothing. Not even a listing!!

So, I took the old hose to my local hydraulic hose maker and had him make me a new one using my old metal fittings. It cost me $85 and it's better than OEM. No more leaks!!

So the moral is, when looking for leaks, take those hose coverings off!!!