Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Why are the Fans of the VX Community living us.

I am glad I didnt get rid of mine for a Jeep. Maybe someday I will get a jeep to beat up but I love the VX. Wish I had more money to do personalized mods. SUX being broke. Speaking of change, I could use some spending money for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    YOU TRIPPIN'!!!! Serious....a WRX with anything in upgrades is a wrung out, stomped on econo box with delusions of grandeur. In this playground, any bolt on is promptly "stomped on" upon instillation. Also, this thing tends to be a kiddie car, meaning, any "upgrades" were likely bolted on by the owner and his friends.....meaning.....you are buying 3000 pounds of PAIN IN YOUR *** AND POCKET assuming you can fix it Trade out if you want, but that is not the answer. Build your own hot rod if you want ...never buy someone else's . Does it have waste gates(popoffs)? If the answer is yes...your answer should be no.
    I will agree, to an extent. In all seriousness, and as a modded WRX owner, this is true in MOST cases when it comes to USED WRXs/STis. I bought mine brand new and shortly after 3k miles, the modding started. The autoX'ing didnt harm it, but the daily commuting did. I am not the smartest kid digging through the toybox so I suddenly had a track ready car that I had to drive 60 miles daily to and from work. Basically, 2 cars now that both belong in the garage for weekend use. And considering I have since given up autoX, I have no pot to pi55 in. No justification for any of the mods. Selling mine would mean someone is buying a modded car that was quite well babied, but has been run pretty hard on track and sat in traffic 5 days a week, 2 times a day. That car has no idea if it is coming or going. Currently, the struts are on their way out and it has become a rattle trap because of the tighter suspension. And just to reiterate the quote above, anyone who were to buy THIS modded WRX as a second owner would most likely confuse the car even more with their driving habits and slowly, things would start to go bad in random areas of the car. It was modded for me by me to fit my style, and any other driver to come along in this vehicle would throw it out of harmony, thus, killing it faster, heh.

Buying pre-modded cars from a private seller.... NEVER a good idea. If you do, at least be prepared for any mechanical issues down the road. It's good to at least know what you are getting into and be prepared for surprises.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Im not selling my VX. Its been almost 6 years since I bought it new and I cant think of not driving it. 72k miles, 3 miles to work, daily driver, off road often, pulls my quad trailer, paid off, sub, 2 amps, new speakers, sunroof, brush guard, dynomatted, 3inch lift, custome grill, window tint, bigger tires, etc.... IM NOT SELLING IT!

And its 30 degrees in Chicago with 40 mph winds...we got it made, don't we V? The only thing better than driving my VX, is driving my VX out west.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by VCAMILO View Post
    Im not selling my VX. Its been almost 6 years since I bought it new and I cant think of not driving it. 72k miles, 3 miles to work, daily driver, off road often, pulls my quad trailer, paid off, sub, 2 amps, new speakers, sunroof, brush guard, dynomatted, 3inch lift, custome grill, window tint, bigger tires, etc.... IM NOT SELLING IT!

Thats right. Good off-roading 30 minutes from my house & 90 degree temperatures today with a low in the 60's... Can beat this time of year.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    yea the VX is a great car ill give all of you that...but the fact that i need like 6k to get it running again, doesnt sound very appealing...i dunno im not sure yet i just am not looking forward to driving 2 hours in the snow every weekend to go snowboarding in my lowered integra...

Quote Originally Posted by circmand View Post
    Too many blown motors? Spare parts for those of us who take care of our VX.
    To me this has been one of the most annoying myths of the VX, but I've finally embraced and am thankful for the fact this will keep the price down and maybe away from those that would do more harm than good to the remaining stock.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Quote Originally Posted by VCAMILO View Post
    Thats right. Good off-roading 30 minutes from my house & 90 degree temperatures today with a low in the 60's... Can beat this time of year.
    Sure I can....High 78 Low 52Humidity 40%
    This makes the whole summer bearable....ya know it's comming....perfection till May Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Black View Post
    To me this has been one of the most annoying myths of the VX, but I've finally embraced and am thankful for the fact this will keep the price down and maybe away from those that would do more harm than good to the remaining stock.
    Myth?! How can you call it a myth? It seems to be a clear and definite FACT that the 3.5L has a reputation for giving up the ghost! Not that the majority crap out... But too many people have had it happen to them and you are even looking at a VX in New Mexico with a blown motor. And that VX also has a sidekick with a nearly blown motor! pbkid has a blown motor too... I admit your expertise and knowledge is far and above mine in several areas but I just can't understand how you can brush off that 'myth' like that. And yes, that 'myth' does scare the crap out of me! Not enough to outright sell my Zeus but I almost live day to day knowing one day it is going to go tick tick pow! I just hope it is paid off when it goes so I can swap in a Chevy heart and a solid axle.
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Here's why I think it's a myth: The VX received the same engine used worldwide in about seven-years worth of combined production Isuzu Troopers, Rodeos, Amigos, Axioms, light-trucks and even some commercial vehicles. The less than 5000 VX production run represented something like 2 or 3 percent, of which there have likely (no, I don't have "hard" numbers here) been less than 1% with engine failures related to something other than neglect or abuse. In the automotive world that's exceptional quality and reliability, period. Now, when we throw in the emotion of people we know here from our community then it becomes more of an impassioned issue that eventually, as it has, transcends into "the mythical engine deaths".

It is truly unfortunate to have happened to those of us here with a VehiCROSS, but it boils down to luck of the draw. No design flaw, no vast corporate conspiracy, just a VX gets assembled and the engine in the crate happened to have something that got missed in quality control. An undetected void in a casting, the inspector was too wrapped up in the latest manga, the engine was lubed during the fertility festival... Who knows, someone gets a truck with a bad mill. It's not good, it never is, but it happens and I wish I could wave my magic torque wrench so no VX would ever age, break or wear out. But they do, and that's part or why places like this forum exist. There are facts that must be presented sans the emotion so the VX can be validated on truth, and that truth is the engine is amazingly reliable and quite stout.

The 4L30E on the other hand, is an altoghether different story...

I am not saying the VX motor is the problem - I am saying the Isuzu 3.5 motor is the problem. And hundreds if not thousands of people have been saying that too! Here is one page of mostly "typical" negative 3.5 experiences: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...zu_engine.html
    The design flaws have been documented, most engines are not affected by it to the same degree as others (IMO), some not affected at all. Several Isuzu owners speak of the great care given to their failed motors. Of course, why would they say they never checked their oil? But not everyone in prison is guilty either, they just all say they are innocent!
    I don't mean to argue with you Joe. I, just like you, think the 3.5's reputation is helping to keep the cost of the VX down and driving others away from the VX (which is the question posed by this thread anyway). I just see it as more of a legitimate reason than you do, I guess. I tell ya though, my friend, I hope neither of us has to deal with it first hand... I a ticking time

So do u think the 3.2 engine is better? and if so is it possible to swap the 3.5 to a 3.2? and how much work can it be, a really easy swap? also if u swap to another make engine, like chevy, is it possible and how hard?

Whats the Point of Living, if You don't go BIG.....
    Turning My VX Into Rally VX

All I know about the 3.2 is it is loud! Like Joe says, plenty of 3.5's last a long time without issue. So just use what you got until it goes tick tick pow! Or is it "click click BOOM"!?

Joe, having been a wrench myself for a good number of years, I'd have to say I agree with the logic of that 100%.

I'm not so worried about mechanical failures, but part of that is because I can fix anything that may occur myself. What my concern is, after another year goes by and we've all realized that the $100 per barrel mark will NEVER turn around and gas is over $4 per galon EVERYWHERE in the USA, ANY vehicle that gets less that 18 mpg is bound to drop in price.

I'm selling now because of that, and because of the following.

Fossil fuels are wonderful. Energy from a sun that was shining on the earth back when the dinosaurs were around, stored up in plants and animals all caught up in rock and pressure to form these nice long hydrocarbon molecules that we can extract and burn in the internal cumbustion engine. Gasoline delivers 3 times the energy when it burns that hydrogen IF you factor in what it took to extract the hydrogen.

SO..... (there is a point here) gasoline is going to be around for a while, but it's a finite supply. Doesn't it stand to reason that we should use it as efficiently as possible so we can ALL enjoy the wonderful thing that is the automobile??????????????

...and maybe our kids can too? At least for a little while longer...

eh... maybe I'm full of biodegradable soil enhancer
    Sold the VX 11-21-07. It was fun while I had it!
    Thanks for all the help.

Certain areas pose the best solution to Hydrogen production. Iceland in particular. They are gearing up hard to become the first, biggest players. All that lovely geothermal energy, virtually laying around on the ground, waiting to be picked up. Gobs of fat, juicy, electric...FREE...after setup cost, and minus maintenance expenses. The big electric needs are the tickler in cheap hydrogen production. Ya know, in an alternate universe, where the world isn't all that much different....the humans there do it all with little reactors (of course, they'd never developed any religion there, so no zealot has ever thought of grenading one in the name of his particular invisible man)