Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Diesel swap: help needed

so I got an email back from http://www.landroverimport.com

a good used 300 tdi with auto trans and transfer radiator, oil cooler, and intercooler would be 4k and a rebuilt would be 6k

4bd2

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Black View Post
    The weight of the VX is the killer in an all-electric application since mass is the enemy of efficiency. My fantasy electric is a VW Vanagon: unibody construction for light-weight strength, plenty of room, phenomenal underbody space for simple full length drop-down battery trays to optimize balance and lower CG, existing transaxle for simple bolt-up motor mounting with existing electric systems (either AC with regen or DC), and best of all you can make a "safari roof" of solar panels the full length of the Vanagon to not only provide supplmenary power and off-grid charge but passive cooling just like on older Land Rovers. You could even get radical and use two motors with a Vanagon Synchro for AWD!
    Hey man I just bought my first VX, thinking of doing a swap. I found this guy with a 97 4bd2 with 37,000 miles witha jatco and he was asking 4500. Has all the accessories for going in an isuzu box truck and what not. I was just curious if it will be a eligible swap. A lot of people say the 4bdt1 is the way to go but from what I've read the d2 is pretty much the same. I am also thinking a northstar swap, what transmission would you suggest if I was to go the v8 route?
    Thanks

When I was dong research I disovered this: http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showth...4BT-Conversion

Closest I could find. I also spoke with a local builder who was wrapping up a 4BT in a Land cruiser. The biggest issue with these engines is that they are much taller than even a small block V8. But they're the perfect engine for a VX IMO. Good luck!

Hello
    I am not owning a VX but i have a Frontera (Rodeo) sport 2.0i petrol..I love the VX but the mpg and taxes in my country are kinda big for > 3000+ engine
    A 2.8L diesel engine should from fronteras should be nice ?.. My mechanic skills are very low...
    Btw i am from Europe..