Thread: Diesel swap: help needed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dforester View Post
    Alright, already some good thoughts and suggestions.

Zeus & JoeBlack- I think this is an even better solution:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=280170384684

But, WOW does that cost some money. Has anyone out there seen half cuts for less? Does anyone have any experience with an imported half cut?

Dave
    I saw that one yesterday after I posted but didn't understand what a half cut was I have never heard of that. Did you figure it out?
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

A "half-cut" is where you literally receive one half of a cut-in-half vehicle, so you'd get everything in that half like the driveline, suspension, hopefully the electronics and such. That's not too bad a price if it's already here and convenient to go get, at least the engine would have the mounts, harness, accessories and should be somewhat protected by the rest of the truck.

Piotr, that 3.0L is the dreaded 4JX1 which is absolutely the last diesel you want to be looking at. Ask any Australian Isuzu enthusiast about it and they'll either roll their eyes or admit to being some kind of weird masochistic diesel fetishist.

As for mileage with the 4JG2, it should be in the mid twenties. But remember, going diesel isn't necessarily about economy so much as it's about using a more environmentally friendly fuel you can brew at home, should you so desire. If you go with the 4JB1 you'll see less as you'll be working it to death in the VX. Go drive an '84 Diesel VW Rabbit and if you like that go with the 4JB1. The NPR motor is the 4BD2 and is quite popular with the light-truck crowd, but is just too heavy for the VX. You'll kill the handling and would have far too many suspension mods and clearance issues. One thing you have to remember is that all Isuzu diesels have industrial counterparts and Isuzu is very, very big on drawing from the common parts bin which translates to good parts interchange.

Another thing: How much of a diesel mechanic are you? If you aren't at least a fairly competent one now, you better have some extremely deep pockets. Diesel mechanics see dollars flying past at warp speed when someone wanders in with this kind of project.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Black View Post
    As for mileage with the 4JG2, it should be in the mid twenties. But remember, going diesel isn't necessarily about economy so much as it's about using a more environmentally friendly fuel you can brew at home, should you so desire. One thing you have to remember is that all Isuzu diesels have industrial counterparts and Isuzu is very, very big on drawing from the common parts bin which translates to good parts interchange.

Another thing: How much of a diesel mechanic are you? If you aren't at least a fairly competent one now, you better have some extremely deep pockets. Diesel mechanics see dollars flying past at warp speed when someone wanders in with this kind of project.
    Well, I'm not much of a diesel mechanic. I've worked on a DD 4v71 & 8v71 during my bus to rv conversion phase, but these engines were probably among the world's simplest. I have a good friend here in Santa Fe that does JDM engine swaps as a sideline business and he works at a GMC dealership during the day. His estimate is around $3,000 in labor and some misc parts for an engine swap. Plus $2,500 for the Viacross and this puts me at $5,500. The $4,500 front clip puts me a bit over my budget, but that would give me a custom diesel Viacross for around $10,000, which is comparable to what most people are selling their Gas powered ones for.

Joe_Black, I hear you on the biodiesel front. I think it's the wave of the future: more sustainable than E-85 and much easier than Hydrogen. So, having an engine that will run for several 100,000 miles and runs on biodiesel (or at least B20 for now) and gets a decent mpg will work for me (my econo Subaru Forester doesn't get any better than the mid twenties and I don't complain about its gas mileage). I'll put some more energy into finding a reasonably priced 4JG2, since it is becoming clear to me that this will be the easiest swap (hey, you only had to say it a half dozen times before I got the message).
    Last edited by dforester : 11/07/2007 at 08:12 AM

I'm pretty much as ignorant as they come, but I'm also not particularly shy about sharing what little ignorance I've managed to cure at great expense (financial, emotional, mental... You name it) to myself. A few years ago we decided as a family to do two things: Get 100% off-grid and convert as many gas-powered devices to diesel-powered devices. So far we've got one gas-powered device left and that's the VX (motorcycles don't count, yet), which is why it now does short haul and I'm doing the long driving with the TDI Jetta. But along the way there I've got a number of Ford and Caterpillar diesel tractors to care for, not to mention a Thew-Lorain dragline with a DD 4-71 and an IHC Transtar cabover with a DD 8V71. And there was the recent Mercedes diesel interest which currently numbers five cars, so if you're interested in a vintage diesel Benz...

If you've got a local vocational school look into an evening diesel course if time permits. Reason is, the general rule of thumb when dealing with mechanics on "special projects" is to double their estimate and prepare for triple. Plus diesel engines are incredibly simple compared to gas, and you'll be amazed at the simple stuff you can do yourself. It will require an investment in proper tools, and you never skimp on tools! But things that your mechanic might pop a few hundred for you can usually do for just a few bucks and and hour or so of your time. Prime example is injector tuning and balance. Very important on a diesel and where you can get some good economy and performance, but it can set you back at the shop. I ended up building my own injector tester for less than $80 so now I can take 'em apart and rebuild at my leisure. Used injectors can be had cheap on eBay or craigslist, where I just picked up a set of 16 for my 6.2L CUCV. I picked up an M35A2 recently so now I can look for injectors for that as well, so I can rebuild a full set just to have on hand.

There are a lot of good resources out there, but consequently hundreds times as much misinformation. Take your time, compare and RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH. Anyone like me can be spouting off about this or that without knowing squat to lead you down the gilded path, so check it out.

Thumbs down Turbo D troopers

I have a friend in southern N.M. with 2 86 Turbo troopers. Fantastic fuel economy. they both have over 250K without overhauls. They both have a hard time getting up and going. Even in low range 1st gear hill climing 4wheeling is not very much fun. 5th gear with the A/C in a new mexico wind makes the turbo work hard and fuel economy go down. way underpowered compared to the 4 cyl gas versions I owned for over 10 years. I do not think that engine has enough power for the VX- unless you ride around in LOW range all the time. Just my guess! The stock VX is at times underpowered some would say. SO go for as much power as u can. remember , Santa Fe is HI altitude. get it right the first time!

If you’re going to do a swap, Make it worth your while...at least.
    Cummins 4BT is what I would recommend. One of the newer ones, they aren’t as loud and can produce an extreme amount of horsepower and torque.
    I once swapped an ISB 24 into my 98 H1 Hummer was all tricked out.
    The vehicle really rocked!
    Check it out, yeppers that’s mine....

http://flashoffroad.com/features/Cum...el/cummins.htm

nice pics but do you think it will fit?:

Quote Originally Posted by WiSDoM View Post
    nice pics but do you think it will fit?:
    If you get one with the side mounted turbo, a suitable tranny that you choose, electric fan.
    I believe it can be done.
    I will get out there this week-end and do some closer measurements.
    Joe