Thread: Diesel swap: help needed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    Wait, you recommended the 4BD2-TC as a good swapper before, didn't you? That was part of my basis for posting that link; what did you figure out? It's just too heavy for the VX?

Funnily enough, I was looking for swap ideas for the CUCV and stumbled upon that link, referenced it here, and what do ya know, the only other CUCV/VX owner is the 1st to notice! Do ya think the 4BD2 is a decent candidate for the CUCV? I have a 700R4 that I think will bolt up although it is a 2wd unit so I would have to have a divorced t-case as well. My other choices are a Banks Turbo kit or perhaps a Cummins 4BT... Been leaning toward the Banks but thought I would check out some options. I'll have to change my screen name to IDon'tKnowWhatIWantEither!
    Yeah, it's just too heavy for our torsion bar suspension. Great engine though, although the more I learn about the 4JG2 the more I like it. I mean, it's not like Isuzu makes bad diesels, right? Of course the folks in Oz are getting their flame-typing gloves on to skewer me about the 4JX1!

A while back I picked up a Silverado minus engine as a cab donor for my M1028 and it came with a freshly built 700R4. It's tempting but I'm going to hold out for Kodiak/Top Kick 5-speed manual, that way I get the best of both worlds. Once I'm done putting a flatbed on my Mack I'm hoping to finally do the cab swap on the M1028 and put it back on the road. Too many projects!
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

hmmmmmmm....ok
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...

Not relevant to diesel conversion, but my longterm plan is to eventually convert mine to two wheel drive and 100% electric - much like the RAV4's that Toyota built several years ago. The VX - sans rear seat - makes the PERFECT candidate for an electric conversion. Lots of room behind the seats for a battery bank, full frame construction, (already) heavy duty suspension, and ultimately, a good roof platform for solar panels. The battery technology is getting better/cheaper/faster quite quickly. Look for substantial "energy credit(s)" - especially here in California - in the coming years, as we continue efforts to reduce our dependence on foreign oil. It was all part of my "master plan" in actually picking the VX in the first place; I'm looking forward to this project in a few years!:bgwg:

Thumbs up

The weight of the VX is the killer in an all-electric application since mass is the enemy of efficiency. My fantasy electric is a VW Vanagon: unibody construction for light-weight strength, plenty of room, phenomenal underbody space for simple full length drop-down battery trays to optimize balance and lower CG, existing transaxle for simple bolt-up motor mounting with existing electric systems (either AC with regen or DC), and best of all you can make a "safari roof" of solar panels the full length of the Vanagon to not only provide supplmenary power and off-grid charge but passive cooling just like on older Land Rovers. You could even get radical and use two motors with a Vanagon Synchro for AWD!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Black View Post
    ... My fantasy electric is a VW Vanagon...
    Wow, that's a pretty sexy fantasy there...

But hey, get it right and this could be you:

4bd2

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Black View Post
    The weight of the VX is the killer in an all-electric application since mass is the enemy of efficiency. My fantasy electric is a VW Vanagon: unibody construction for light-weight strength, plenty of room, phenomenal underbody space for simple full length drop-down battery trays to optimize balance and lower CG, existing transaxle for simple bolt-up motor mounting with existing electric systems (either AC with regen or DC), and best of all you can make a "safari roof" of solar panels the full length of the Vanagon to not only provide supplmenary power and off-grid charge but passive cooling just like on older Land Rovers. You could even get radical and use two motors with a Vanagon Synchro for AWD!
    Hey man I just bought my first VX, thinking of doing a swap. I found this guy with a 97 4bd2 with 37,000 miles witha jatco and he was asking 4500. Has all the accessories for going in an isuzu box truck and what not. I was just curious if it will be a eligible swap. A lot of people say the 4bdt1 is the way to go but from what I've read the d2 is pretty much the same. I am also thinking a northstar swap, what transmission would you suggest if I was to go the v8 route?
    Thanks