Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My new friend...

That aqua forest aquarium is an awesome site. Where did you find a link to a site that sells turtles off of kingsnake.com. The navigation on that site will take some getting used to.

Oh, on Kingsnake, just go to "classifieds" at the top. Then scroll down under "US Ads" you will see "turtles". Click that, and you will be taken to the most recent posts for turtles. Matas are rare on there, but I am sure Martins World still has some. Not sure if you are just browsing, but Greg Martin is a good seller and has a lot of other turtles besides Matas. PM me if you want his info.

Bart`

Quote Originally Posted by JHarris1385 View Post
    That aqua forest aquarium is an awesome site. Where did you find a link to a site that sells turtles off of kingsnake.com. The navigation on that site will take some getting used to.

Thanks. I checked it out. I was wondering if Martins had a Mata for any cheaper than I have seen else where. Its average and maybe $20 less than other sites but still $$$. Have you ever had box turtles or tortoises? Iv been thinking about creating an outdoor habitat for a tortoise. That mata is super cool. I like the alligator snappers and soft shell as well.

Turtles I have had:

Common Snapper
    Florida Snapper
    Spiny Softshell
    Florida Softshell
    Common Stinkpot
    Common Mud Turtle
    Chinese Box Turtle
    Eastern Box Turtle
    Diamondback Terrapin
    Red Eared Slider
    Common Map
    Eastern Painted Turtle
    Reeves Turtle

I have never had a tortoise but my nephew has a Russian.

Yes, Matas are HELLA pricey. This is why I never had one until now, and it is the only turtle I will have for a long time, probably. I would love to have another tank, but for now I will concentrate on my Mata.

Boxies and tortoises are awesome also. Where you live, you could EASILY create a natural, outdoor habitat for boxies. You might even get some breeding, which would be awesome. The only thing, is that boxies will climb, and dig. So you would need to proof your enclosure. The climbing is especially bad if they fall. I once had a large outdoor enclosure for boxies back in IL, and I used chicken wire. They would climb up it, and sometimes fall, so it was not the best enclosure.

Bart

Thanks. I checked it out. I was wondering if Martins had a Mata for any cheaper than I have seen else where. Its average and maybe $20 less than other sites but still $$$. Have you ever had box turtles or tortoises? Iv been thinking about creating an outdoor habitat for a tortoise. That mata is super cool. I like the alligator snappers and soft shell as well.

I have had an outdoor habitat for box turtles for years. It was made out of bricks that were left over after building my house. At one time we had about 11 in there most eastern but a number were western males. We also had an occasional painted turtle in the mix to accompy the pond that was inside. And yes we had a eastern male mate with another female and had about 13 babies. We would put a some mulch in where the pond would during the winter for them to hibernate. Pretty nice set up, considering after a couple years all the cherry tomatoe plants that started to grow inside due to the seeds left behind began to feed the turtles quite well over time.

I have always wanted a mata, but i am going to wait to make sure I do it right from the start. My res, map and bearded dragon are enough right now for inside reptiles.

Yeah, that's exactly it. I kept a lot of herps over the years, but haven't had ANY for the last 10 or so. College, moving back to Chicago, getting married, etc. All that moving around and what not kept me from getting any reptiles. But now, we are settling down and I have space, time and money to take care of a turtle, and a Mata has been my life long "dream turtle". So, I will dedicate all my time to this little guy. Its gonna take some time to get it under control, but I am getting the hang of it (pH, live fish, etc).

I don't know why, but for me, turtles have always been my favorite herps. They are so prehistoric and wicked looking, and so cute at the same time.

Bart

I have had an outdoor habitat for box turtles for years. It was made out of bricks that were left over after building my house. At one time we had about 11 in there most eastern but a number were western males. We also had an occasional painted turtle in the mix to accompy the pond that was inside. And yes we had a eastern male mate with another female and had about 13 babies. We would put a some mulch in where the pond would during the winter for them to hibernate. Pretty nice set up, considering after a couple years all the cherry tomatoe plants that started to grow inside due to the seeds left behind began to feed the turtles quite well over time.

I have always wanted a mata, but i am going to wait to make sure I do it right from the start. My res, map and bearded dragon are enough right now for inside reptiles.

NICE! I have a RES (red ear slider) that I got about 3 years ago and he is huge, actually almost too big now (about the size of a 7'' frisbee), and a razorback Map he is just about 1 yrs old and only 3'' or less.

Where did you get yours from? How big is the tank? What is your filter set up?
    Hate to break it to ya....anything bigger than a saucer, is a female. SHE will get about the size of an old LP record...within 5 years