Thread: Shattered Driver's Side Window

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Had a windshield replaced early this year. My State Farm ins. covered 100% and had Safe-Lite come out to my house and change it it my garage. The total was around $800 for the glass because of tint trim and the defrost-heating element, but not having had to pay $0.01 was great and it didnt affect my rate at all with the claim. Oh, this was on my WRX, not my VX, but still worthy to know perhaps.

In this case, you shoudl get your own glass and do it. The deductible isnt worth it. And note to yourself.... dont keep valuables in the car anymore.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Quote Originally Posted by WormGod View Post
    Had a windshield replaced early this year. My State Farm ins. covered 100% and had Safe-Lite come out to my house and change it it my garage. The total was around $800 for the glass because of tint trim and the defrost-heating element, but not having had to pay $0.01 was great and it didnt affect my rate at all with the claim. Oh, this was on my WRX, not my VX, but still worthy to know perhaps.

In this case, you shoudl get your own glass and do it. The deductible isnt worth it. And note to yourself.... dont keep valuables in the car anymore.
    Deductible isn't worth it? You mean to pay more premium to lower the deductible?

Since you have a $500 deductible if you had a total loss of $1000 the insurance will only reimburse you $500 ($1000 loss - $500 deductible).

So it is in your best interest to accurately report your claim with all of the stolen items and repair costs for damage at fair value.

Some states, like Arizona, have a separate $0 deductible for auto glass.

Quote Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
    Deductible isn't worth it? You mean to pay more premium to lower the deductible?

Since you have a $500 deductible if you had a total loss of $1000 the insurance will only reimburse you $500 ($1000 loss - $500 deductible).

So it is in your best interest to accurately report your claim with all of the stolen items and repair costs for damage at fair value.

Some states, like Arizona, have a separate $0 deductible for auto glass.
    Basically, if the repair cost is less than the deductible, its worthless. If its close to it, use your best judgement. If its significantly higher, hop on the that train. I have been down all 3 roads a LOT in the past, let alone having been a tech in a body shop for many years and butting heads with insurance companies, heh.

As for reporting any stolen items from the vehicle, not all insurance companies will honor that. Mine will, IF I have receipts from the purchase of the items claimed.

I am pretty sure MD doesnt dictate windshield coverage to insurance companies, but I could be mistaken. It was covered under mt insurance as Road Hazard. The $0 was acually a surprise to me. I was fully expecting to pay something.