Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Nubies

That's another problem with message boards, people tend to interpret the medium of the written word too literally in whatever way it suits them best. While admittedly I do sometimes become a bit abstract, it doesn't mean I'm ignorant to the modern-day practicalities of purchasing and maintaining a dedicated server for the purpose of hosting a website (as reported in this thread - LOOK & THINK ). That said, I don't think I misinterpreted the "Labor of Love" statement posted on the site incorrectly for the purpose of defending my statement.

Despite the namecalling, I do appreciate the efforts and contributions of both this websites' creator and it's supporters. All I can claim to have done to date is chipped in a few guests when the server was being upgraded, and donated some of my time these last couple of years when responding with any information that I could to questions posed by other members.

But with that said, I'll apologize in advance for getting abstract again, but I'm sorry, I just couldn't help being reminded of the South Park episode dealing with Hybrids as I was rereading this thread along with the one linked above. It was along those lines I made my "l33t" reference earlier, and not the subject of monetary contribution...or lack thereof as has so tactfully been indicated.

Yeah, I don't know why I felt compelled to reply in such a way. I'm on your side, buddy, don't worry! I wish everyone would donate so VX.info can stay mighty. I just understand the mentality behind not donating. And I am not knocking Moncha for having the donate option, by all means he should....

I just wish the Internet didn't become such a wasteland with only a few shining beacons of light standing out, this page being one of them. I guess it is foolish of me to expect anything less of humanity. After all, in "RL" we are headed toward wasteland, so why should the Internet be any different?

But that is a whole other thread...

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    Bart, I totally understand what you are saying; I also agree to a point. I know I am of no 'authority' and everyone is free to make their own choices. Like I said, I will get off my high horse, I said my piece/peace. Tom, I am sorry if you had hoped this thread would have gone a different direction... such is evolution! Ultimately, I don't want the forum to struggle and die. I dunno... This is one of those things I feel strongly about and I'm just trying to do my part. I may not be the most tactful person since I can be a hothead when I feel that way. Hopefully, it won't deter others from supporting the site...

I understand where you are coming from regarding the "1337" issue. I really think this forum is beyond that, however. That is why I love this place so much. Rarely does this forum get outta hand with all the "highschool drama" and "childish mudslinging" that seem to inundate other forums on the net.

Usually, we here engage in intelligent, supportive conversations, and most of the time, I think we are try to do our best to not offend or make people feel stupid, even when things do get heated. Trust me, I would not have stayed around so long if this forum was anywhere close to how bad some of the other forums out there are.

This is the ONLY forum I have ever contributed to financially.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Y33TREKker View Post
    That's another problem with message boards, people tend to interpret the medium of the written word too literally in whatever way it suits them best. While admittedly I do sometimes become a bit abstract, it doesn't mean I'm ignorant to the modern-day practicalities of purchasing and maintaining a dedicated server for the purpose of hosting a website (as reported in this thread - LOOK & THINK ). That said, I don't think I misinterpreted the "Labor of Love" statement posted on the site incorrectly for the purpose of defending my statement.

Despite the namecalling, I do appreciate the efforts and contributions of both this websites' creator and it's supporters. All I can claim to have done to date is chipped in a few guests when the server was being upgraded, and donated some of my time these last couple of years when responding with any information that I could to questions posed by other members.

But with that said, I'll apologize in advance for getting abstract again, but I'm sorry, I just couldn't help being reminded of the South Park episode dealing with Hybrids as I was rereading this thread along with the one linked above. It was along those lines I made my "l33t" reference earlier, and not the subject of monetary contribution...or lack thereof as has so tactfully been indicated.

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Yeah, I don't know why I felt compelled to reply in such a way...
    Just wanted to say that I wasn't referring to your post. It just seemed like my Labor of Love reference was being slightly misrepresented.

And I also realized that I short-changed myself a bit when I talked about my past contributions to the Vehicross crowd in general. There were a few times in the past when I helped a fellow VXer (no longer an owner though) do some repairs on his VX. He admitted to being less-than mechanically inclined when it came to repair issues, lived close by, and since I had the skills (such as they are anyway ), I felt it was the least I could do.

That same VXer and I also took a side trip one day with both of our VX's to visit another member who was in the area visiting family.

While those examples don't necessarily warrant a trophy or anything, I guess they're still something.

Zeus,

I have no regrets as to the direction that the thread took. Everyone spoke their piece & no one got hurt. The good of it is that I'll be going out & making 'nother contribution even though t'aint time yet. The value of the site is what each individual thinks it's worth. The support & info I've gotten here is worth far more than the $60-$70 (or whatever, I didn't bother to keep track & don't want to) I've donated so far. The shame is that I didn't do it before the conversation took place. If anyone gets any use from any input I provide - it's free. Any help I get is greatly appreciated. All that means nothing if the site isn't maintained and I'm happy to contribute.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

I think we are all on the same page here...

Bart

Just wanted to say that I wasn't referring to your post. It just seemed like my Labor of Love reference was being slightly misrepresented.

And I also realized that I short-changed myself a bit when I talked about my past contributions to the Vehicross crowd in general. There were a few times in the past when I helped a fellow VXer (no longer an owner though) do some repairs on his VX. He admitted to being less-than mechanically inclined when it came to repair issues, lived close by, and since I had the skills (such as they are anyway ), I felt it was the least I could do.

That same VXer and I also took a side trip one day with both of our VX's to visit another member who was in the area visiting family.

While those examples don't necessarily warrant a trophy or anything, I guess they're still something.

Bart
    But of course.....a handfull of madmen, howling at a lesser moon

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    But of course.....a handfull of madmen, howling at a lesser moon
    Hey hey, watch the name calling!
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    I know I am of no 'authority' and everyone is free to make their own choices.
    Wrong. Please pass everything by me before acting. Thank you for your cooperation.

Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Bart
    Same page possibly. Perhaps just different books.

LOL! True...

Bart

PS - You do know that you live in the coolest area of the state of Illinois, don't you? Shawnee is an amazing place. I wish I would have taken more trips down there back when I lived in Chicago...

Same page possibly. Perhaps just different books.

"Wrong. Please pass everything by me before acting. Thank you for your cooperation."

Bathroom break please boss!!

LOL! True...

Bart

PS - You do know that you live in the coolest area of the state of Illinois, don't you? Shawnee is an amazing place. I wish I would have taken more trips down there back when I lived in Chicago...
    I do. While I don't take advantage of it as much as I probably could/should, I actually did go hiking with my brother in the Shawnee while he was visiting for the holiday. We hiked to a spot where we used to camp, climb, and rapel back in the day. The place is called Cave Hill (to us locals anyway), and offers one of the best views in the area. If you look on a map of Shawnee, the Cave Hill bluff will be almost directly north of the Garden Of The Gods area.

The weather was great, and the view was excellent, but I was certainly reminded of the time I hyper-extended my knee playing golf a few years back.

Even so, it was definitely worth the trip.

Cool I'm a 'Zoid?

what is a 'Zoid? Cuz obviously I am one.

Uhh... Not sure, but I would go with experienced nubie, maybe...?