Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: 1/4 mile track times

Thanks again SGT. BATGUANO, you have been great help. I'll look around in town and see what I find. Can I double flare tubing hehehe I've never even heard that term before so I think I'll have to say no .

Wyrejj, well I actually lined up with an Audi and it seemed a little close, up to 3rd gear, but then it was gone. The Audi ran a 15.0 if I remember correctly.

The track is open and I got my first run of the year in. I ran constant 15.8's! I am going to go all out one of these weekends and drop the front drive shaft, hook up TOD on/off switch, and loose some of that weight! BOARZHEAD ran a 16.29 I think, and he just disconnected his TOD and the elbow to the air box. I would be willing to bet I get into the 14's if I run in 2 wheel, without speakers, back seat, and all my guns and crap in the back.

OK well one thing that seems pretty crazy is my 1/8 mile trap speed is 70 and the 1/4 is only 84. It takes me 5 seconds to get from the 1/8 to the 1/4 and I only gain 14mph!

Here is the link to my Time Slip
    Last edited by AlaskaVX : 05/17/2004 at 12:59 PM
    2001 Ironman Daily Driver... 3.5" suspension lift (OME912 springs and 1" spring spacer), ball joint flip, 1.5" front diff. drop, 33"x12.5 TrXus MT, 16x10 Eagle Alloy rims, Interceptor, PV muffler, K&N air filter, Alpine Supercharger, Bilstein shocks, and some trimming.

2000 Ironman Project LS-1 VX... very slow progress but someday....... ohhhhh someday......

wow....u broke into the 15s.....tats amazing....gl in gettin to the 14s
    ________
    VOLCANO DIGITAL VAPORIZER
    Last edited by MZ-N10 : 09/05/2011 at 03:13 PM

yeh I got a 16.283 at 80.46 mph. Not bad for a stock vx.. I think with all that lift the air just went below me. hahaha. Alan.. Don't forget to go to alaska raceway web site and look at the pics there. your truck was there.
    I always take life with a grain of salt. Plus mashed potatoes and gravy!

Ha your VX at the strip! I am a little disappointed the times of the VX with the SC and such, I swear mine is faster than that... need to get my butt to the strip to see...

Cool pics...

-Dave

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/...um=0&adjust=-1

Has anyone ever thought about running 5.38 gears in the VX? This would drop times dramatically for you 1/8 and 1/4 mile racers.
    Also, the reason no one really sees an improvement with a disconnected TOD for mileage or acceleration times is because the front hubs are still connected no matter what you do. Install some of the old fashioned "get out and put it in 4wd" hubs. They are readily available for the Trooper, and would allow the front wheels to be free spinning. Then disconnect the TOD so the transfer case wouldnt even spin the front driveshaft, and you would have true 2wd. You could then engage front hubs when wanting TOD.

The only way to go- then factor in a S/C!

How would we go about getting some 5.38 gears, I'd be up for that?
    -Dave

The VX already has low gearing - 4:33 ratio. I'm not so sure lower gearing - especially something as low as 5:38 - would be of that much benefit. 1/8 mile - probably, but not for the 1/4 mile. It may be of benefit - but probably not as much as lower gearing does in many other applications. To take adantage of a set of 5:38's - the engine must produce alot of hp at high rpm.
    I think one of the reasons is that the VX engine appears to produce much of its power down low (at lower rpm) ..... unlike many other dohc engines. The power curve appears to be 'flat' - I suspect the maximum power achieved by the Isuzu 3.5 is at a relativley low rpm ........
    This may also be one of the reason that many feel the VX is faster than the published figures .........
    The camshaft profile may be one (primary) reason. Variable valve timing (ala Honda, Toyota, Nissan ?) would probably prove to be very beneifical for the 3.5. Still - I would bet the engineers were more than happy with the performance of the 3.5 given the intended application.
    Again - this is just a theory - I have never been able to locate a chart with the horsepower and torque figures.
    ..... and speaking of gearing, I would prefer 4:10 gearing - over the OEM 4:33. The gearing is a tad low for my use. I never realized how fast I drive on the highway until I started driving the VX. I would not be surprised if the Trooper - especially the US spec Trooper - has higher gearing.

Originally posted by MrCrowley
    Has anyone ever thought about running 5.38 gears in the VX? This would drop times dramatically for you 1/8 and 1/4 mile racers.
    Also, the reason no one really sees an improvement with a disconnected TOD for mileage or acceleration times is because the front hubs are still connected no matter what you do.
    Well BOARZHEAD just snipped the TOD wire and he was definately pulling some better times than I was stock, so it must do something! I think I really need an intake! My 1/8 mile seems pretty solid, however after that theres not much there. I will hit up the track a lot early this year, unltil I get my lift and tires. I will hit a 14.9, hopefully in the next 2 weeks!

I ran 16.49 totally stock last summer. I wish I had the funds for a super charger

how r u launching the car?
    r u reving it in neutral and dropping it into drive?
    holdin the brakes and holding the gas?
    stomp the gas?

im plannin to go to infineon(sp?) raceway 2morow...sure could use some tips on how launch....
    ________
    Grianxx live
    Last edited by MZ-N10 : 09/05/2011 at 03:13 PM

2 foot driving one on the break and one on the gas, I could probably give it more gas off the start. I never look at what I rev it up to since I am looking at the lights of the tree, but I would guess I rev it to 2500-3000 rpm's then release the break and stomp the throttle as fast as possible. I keep it in 3rd gear but I think it shifts to 4th. BOARZHEAD said he had his in 3rd and it was redlining at the end. Mine is definately not redlining at the end, more like 3,000-3,500 rpm's. It has to be hitting O.D. Any way to fix this? I will try to get video from inside the car to see what it does, cus when I'm racing I'm not looking at that stuff.

???
    3000 rpm at the end of the 1/4 mile ......... ???
    I believe I'm somewhere around 3000 rpm at 75 mph ......
    ???

The reason I think the gearing will benefit- Quicker offline stomp Especially with TOD (this is why the WRX-STI kills off the line). 40 mph in 1st gear with stock gearing is way too high for launching. over the last half of the track you are in 3rd - being lower would accelerate a little better. Our trannies have "racing gears. Closer ratio for track style- not drag racing from a stop to 1/4 mile. No one else in the world does this hence no import has good drag strip gearing. around maybe once off the line, and then keep racing between say 30 to 110 mph. Another option would be to use a smaller diameter tire than needed for looks for a trial run. Like a 16" rim w/ wide performance car tires maybe 25" total diameter. This would equate to lower gearing. If someone could try it I would guarantee lower times.

The Trooper has identical gears although the old late '80's Trooper 2 boxy style had a wide tire option w/ 4.77 gears. Hard to find, and not compatible to our larger late model trooper components. Our front axle is the back of an old boxy trooper hence you can get a limited slip from an old trooper rear and put it in our front.

Yes ...I would like the idea of lower gears. Has anyone ever done a change over? Are they available?....this car IMO is not really very well geared for real hard core rock crawling and reverse backing down a really steep hill is awful!~Guys running those 33 inch O.D tires would greatly benefit from those axles

Also, I would advise against a limited slip differencial on the front axle...straight up and straight down conditions would be fine, but side hilling in icy, mud, snow conditions could get hairy to down right dangerous.