Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 1/4 mile track times

1/4 mile track times

Went out to the drag strip this weekend and got some times, and a trophy! It was my first time at the drag races and I had a blast! I am running Mickey Thompson 31x11.5 Baja Belted tires with Eagle commet rims, otherwise its stock. At 1/8 mile I was going 65mph and at the 1/4 only 80mph. My best 1/4 mile time was 16.720 and that had a terrible reaction time of 1.2 sec. I believe (I don't have the slips in front of me). It was wierd, since on another run I had a reaction time of .612 (still not that great) and ran the 1/4 in 17.1!

I got a 2nd place trophy in the trophy class with the winner being a Mustang who ran 14.78 and said he would run 14.75.

Next weekend I will install my PV muffler and interceptor and see what times I run then. Then in three weeks I plan on having the SC installed and I will get times then too!

Very cool, I'd love to see real-world drag time changes for those mods!

Cool! I look forward to seeing what you clock in with the Interceptor, the PV, and the S/C. Keep us posted.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Oh and I forgot to mention that the track anouncer bought me a beer for having the wierdest car out there! The anouncer first said that I was driving an Amigo sponsered by NASA, I went up and corrected him (you can't call my car an Amigo!!) and for the rest of the day he announced me as a NASA Vehicross!

Sounds like fun.. Maybe next time I can go? Let me know and would love to go with you.
    I always take life with a grain of salt. Plus mashed potatoes and gravy!

I'm going out this Sunday (fathers day) I think. If you don't have plans, it should be a lot of fun.

I took my VX out to the dragstip once last spring... I managed several back-to-back 16.3x runs pure stock except the Injen intake. I've since added the interceptor and PV muffler as well, and would love to know what difference it would make. I'm betting nearly 1 second, based on the SOTP meter.

BTW... just FYI - reaction time does not count in your elapsed time. The clock for ET doesn't start until you move. Oh, and also, .612 is not bad at all -- a "perfect" amatuer light is .500.

Mark
    Last edited by VX Mark : 06/15/2003 at 05:40 PM
    2001 Proton #442

OK well just got back from the drags, I put the PV muffler on on Thursday. I had descent reaction times all in the low .6's but there was very little differance on the 1/4 mile times. Every run it got better but I only did 4-5 runs this time. My best time this time is a 16.84. I think I should have maybe reset the computer or something after I installed the muffler. Well anyway next week I will have the interceptor on (and reset the computer) and I will post the times then. After installing the muffler my TOD seems to be going on a lot more when it shouldn't, I'm sure it's something else though. But WOW, I got a lot of looks and questions, I guess it sounded really good going down the track!

Thumbs up

This is real information! I can't wait to see the difference after your reset your computer. I guess other factors like octane and weather temperature must affect the results.
    Michael

I always use Chevron premium (92 octane). I also have a speaker box with 2 subs (100 lbs) that I am pulling along. Yesterday was a cool cloudy day (after a big rain storm the day before), and last weekend was sunny and warm with good sticky track. Records were broke last weekend and the same guy was out again and ran .3-.4 under last weeks time. Every run that I ran I knocked off .07. I thought that I was running slower so I changed my dial in time and ended up breaking out, running the 16.84.

So far, you added the PowerVault muffler and it didn't change the times, is that right?

Thats right

Just put the Interceptor on last night, took me forever to find the plug in. The picture at Tones site helped a lot. I was looking at the pic and underneath the car and found where it was supposed to be, but my car was REALLY dirty and it was invisible to me until my brother reached up in there and played with it a little. Anyway after I found it it only took about a 1/2 hour to 45 min making sure everything was zip tied up. First impression is that I like it! It switches gears much quicker than before, every once in a while I get a hard shift but not that bad. Going out this Sunday and will be posting times. I am running about 25% pressure and 100% delay. I will take a guess and say that it will run a 16.5 to 16.4 with Mickey Thompsons and speaker box. For racing how high should I turn it up?

what's an interceptor? i saw it on tone's site...let us kno if it helps a lot.

and about resetting the computer...what would that do? yah im askin a lotta questions and lookin stupid...better than sittin in the dark. and would you ahve to take it in t isuzu to reset? thanks

To reset the computer you just unplug the battery for a 1/2 hour+. This will force the computer to learn your driving habits again (with the new mod), If you don't reset your computer than it slowly learns the mod but it is still remembering your previous driving without the mod. With the interceptor your shifts go a little harder and faster. When your driving the shift takes a second or so and then starts out at low rpm's in the next gear. With the interceptor my shifts are quick and have higher rpm's entering the next gear. Makes it feel quicker, but will see at the track.