Thread: Codes p0171 and p0174

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Codes p0171 and p0174

Check engine light has been on for a few months now. Finally getting around to fixing since I have to get an emisions test soon. Codes read P0171 and P0174. VX has 110000 miles on it. It still runs smooth. Sometimes gets a fuel smell...like a carburated engine running rich. Codes refer to O2 Sensor for the engine bank two. Does this sound right?
    Where is this sensor located?
    Local auto zone has the Bosch replacements for $66. Is this about right for the price?
    Thanks in advance!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Sounds like the 02 sensors that are before and after the cats? I bought a couple of OEM units on eBay for around $15 plus shipping - look there.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

If I remember correctly that means that Bank 1 and Bank 2 of the engine are running lean. I had that come up a bunch of times on our Ford Windstars at work. Normally I try a fuel cleaner first, then filter next. If those don't work you might have a bigger problem.
    06 Nissan Pathfinder LE - Storm Grey/Graphite - Westin Ultimate Bull Guard, PIAA 540 Lights, 35% tints, Nissan iPod Integration
    01 Isuzu VehiCROSS - Kaiser Silver/Grey, Westin Ultimate Bull Guard, PIAA 520 Lights, 35% Mirror Tints, Alpine CDA-9883 Deck, Kenwood KFC-1661S 3-way Speakers

P0171
    Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1
    P0174
    Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 2
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Does anyone know where the Oxygen sensor(s) are located and ease of changing? Any special tools?
    The computer read out says could be a MAF however I have no power/idle problems. The other thing it says is the Oxygen sensor could be defective.
    Other causes it lists would have other sythems such as rough idle or loss of power which I don't have.
    Ebay is out just because I procrastinate and need to get it done quick!
    I will pick up some fuel system cleaner also just to be safe...and it probably needs it since its been a while.

Bank One is the passenger side, Bank Two is the drivers side. (Bank One, Sensor One = before cat, Bank One, Sensor two = after cat. Bank Two, Sensor 3 = before cat, Bank Two, Sensor 4 = after cat). It looks like those two codes are telling you that both sides/banks are seeing lean conditions, so it's doubtful that O2 sensors on both banks would go bad at the same time, but stranger things have happened I guess.

They basically thread into bosses on the exhaust pipes, so removal and installation are relatively simple using an open-end wrench. The only specific requirement during installation is the use of O2 specific anti-seize for ease of future removal.

While it doesn't necessarily narrow things down much, other possible causes could be vacuum related issues with the intake manifold , the pcv valve, and/or the egr valve.

With both codes could it also mean the MAF is dirty or defective?

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    With both codes could it also mean the MAF is dirty or defective?
    Yes. One of the P0171/P0174 diagnostic steps in the downloadable manual suggests checking the MAF sensor inlet screen for damage, or the presence of foreign objects which may partially block the airflow sample through the MAF sensor.

There's also another MAF diagnostic step that involves disconnecting the MAF sensor electrical connector so the vehicle can be monitored in "closed loop" mode, but it also requires a "Tech 2" analyzer (Isuzu tool?).

Thanks Y33. I think I'll do the MAF clean first...its the cheapest! I'll let you all know how it goes.

My 171/174 woes have been intermittent for the past year. I ended up just learning to deal with staring at the CEL.

FWIW, I have no vac leaks and MAF cleansing never helps. Considered the o2 sensors but just never got around to it. In a sense, it's really not a big deal to me since I only drive it on Sundays, heh.

Well, it's been on for the passed few months straight and things are normal as ever. I gassed up yesterday and I recall when I was putting the gas cap back on, I had some difficulty just cause I simply wasn't lining the threads up well. Well, once on, I gave it the super duper annoyingly amount of turns and clicks. Just for good measure cause I felt like an idiot trying to get it back on.

Once back inside and ready to roll, I turned the key and imagine that.... the CEL was gone. I never made it home last night to check to see if a leaky or loose cap could cause a 171/174, but it went all last night without coming back on. Anyone know if a cap issue can cause these or if it throws a different code altogether?
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT