Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Some of you guys are getting winter

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Talking Some of you guys are getting winter

Sometimes I am jealous. I would love to teleport the VX to snow...just once. I want to toss it around in ten inches of powder. It would be cool to actually see the TOD work! (I've never had more than one bar lit on the front axle) One of the only things I miss here, is driving in snow (and elevation change) Need a big ol' chopper to get us to the Berkshires for a day.:bwgr:

Talking

Ya, you'll want to take it back to dry ground after a day or two...

It's cool with the TOD system that you can kick it around a corner or do a power turn with a tap of the gas on the slick roads.

But, I notice a few annoying things when it gets too cold; my brakes are stiff for the first few pumps and the heater fan will chatter like a card in bicycle spokes every now and then. It also has a tendency to fog up a lot at first inside before the heat goes on. My passenger's side door lock actuator also freezes up in the cold and will not lock/unlock the door.

Not too sure what others have experienced in the cold

Oh, and the worst (fortunately not VX related), my tires like to fall off my aluminum rims when it gets cold and I drive a long distance. The bead separates from the rim and it goes flat quick. The shop has to take the bead off and re-seal it. Just happened to me last week, as well as last winter.

She like Moab weather a lot more (and so do I)...

brrrr.
    Last edited by Kenny : 12/09/2007 at 08:15 PM

We're not quite as far North as Kenny, but here in Iowa get our fair share of nasty weather. Last week we had an inch of sleet (which turned to ice, try getting that off yur windows, took 35-40 minutes). This week we had 4 inches of snow, more in some parts. I know it's not as much as some of you up north or in the mountains, but it does get the TOD going. Everyone take care this winter, as usually it's the other guy you have to watch out for.

Snow is a lot of fun but I could due without the warm up time. My transmission feels like its filled with concrete below about 10F, and that is with a pan heater. Kenny, did you see that there are two VX for sale in Calgary this week? A 99 Ebony for $15,000 and a 2000 Firefox for $16,900. I'm going to go check out the Ebony tomorrow. Anyone know if its a member's? There are also another two in Quebec for sale, plus the one in NS. How many does that make in Canada now that we know of? Sorry for the hijack.

why snow?..

it a river bed or a muddy piece of land... no need for snow only to engage the TOD... unless you don't wanna clean the aftermath off the VX... lol

Seriously, you can have our mid-atlantic winters. I personally love winter. Everything about it. The cold, the snow, driving in the snow and ice, etc.... BUT.... the problem is, I have to share this area with OTHER people. They make enjoying it very difficult. Ever tried to drive in the DC Metro area with 1/8" snow on the ground? Thats right, less than an inch. This place comes to a crawl. No.... a stop. No........ we go backwards! Last week's snow brought the area between 4"-6" and my EASY 40min commute took 2 1/2 hours. The whole day last Wed, I spent a total of 5 1/2 hours in my car. Ludicrous. 2 huge reasons:

Montgomery County Snow Removal: (I hope they are listening) Has no clue how to prepare roadways or remove snow in even a slight dusting. Compared to Frederick County, your system simply sucks.

Drivers: Dear God! If you cant drive in snow, STAY HOME! Hawaii could get snow tomorrow and perform better in it than 98% of the DC Metro commuters could!! JUST.... STAY.... HOME!!! And because the majority of you has a gargantuan SUV does not mean you suddenly know how to drive in anything!! STAY.... The.... !@#$.... HOME!!!!

Needless to say, the VX stayed in the garage the entire 2 days of man-made hell and I drove the Rex. It performs excellent in rough road conditions and I tend to have more experience and less fright in this stuff than 99% of the other morons. So, the VX stayed in the garage to stay saltless and to avoid some chump in an H3 thinking he was invincible and proving himself wrong by shaving the cladding off the side of her. Besides, there would be no FUN involved with the traffic anyways.

Ok, rant over, hahaha.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

I had no problems yesterday in the icy conditions. I love the winter and so does my VX.

I love hiking in the winter also, even at 6° below zero. My hiking page-
    http://www.kaatskills.com

I even go flyfishin' in the winter.
    58 seconds and 13.5 mb, wmv file-
    http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/vids/snowff.wmv

Mark Griffin
    Last edited by deermagnet : 12/10/2007 at 06:16 PM

Attachment 626
    A nice 12/06/07 day in arizona

snow

i remember the snows i played in out in WV. i just jumped in my 4Runner and took off, went anywhere in first gear low range.. then pumpin gas to swing out in open areas. i loved it... 5-speed 4WD. if only i could figure out a manual trans for the vx... anyone know anything on that subject? looks like you guys are havin fun with the snow

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by So-CalVX View Post
    i remember the snows i played in out in WV. i just jumped in my 4Runner and took off, went anywhere in first gear low range.. then pumpin gas to swing out in open areas. i loved it... 5-speed 4WD. if only i could figure out a manual trans for the vx... anyone know anything on that subject? looks like you guys are havin fun with the snow
    Do a search on "manual trans" you'll find that there have been several rally VX's with 5 speed manuals in them.(IIRC, mostly JDM) Also, notice in the pics., the "holy grail" of all that is traction control...the selectable TOD switch.

When I went to sleep it was a chilly 39, when I got up it was 64 Ahh warm fronts
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

low-64 high-83....it's the best time of year here.

Took the VX out this morning and wheeled for about 3 hours up and around the Dog Valley range. Lots of loose fluffy snow, lots of hard packed snow, and some icey spots. The VX did alot better than I thought it would climbing in the powder and generally not slipping to much. The BFG A/Ts also probably helped quite a bit. I did have a little nerve wracking moment however, where I wanted to turn around, so I backed up down another (less traveled) trail off to the left. As I backed down I found out the other trail had a minor decline to it, and I struggled a bit to get back up onto the main trail. I was stuck for about 2 minutes, but two minutes too long when you are 4 miles up the side of a snow covered mountain... But the VX prevailed and with a little spinning and revving I got out of it...whew.

Saw tons of mule deer and just plain enjoyed the winter scenery.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post

Saw tons of mule deer and just plain enjoyed the winter scenery.

Bart
    That's a beautiful picture. Has that made it on a calendar, yet?

We're coming up to 2ft right now in upstated New York! You can all of it you want. Personally I'd rather be driving on a beach!