Thread: the sign of a great vehicle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

the sign of a great vehicle

I was just reading through my old blog posts and found one from the day after I bought my VX...

" but also this wekeend I got the car ive been dying for since i started driving (isuzu vehicross) so now i should be able to come down to MD more often, so hopefully ill be able to see people more too... im in a great mood after a great weekend"

I'm so much more enthused about the VX now than I was the day i bought it... what kind of car gets you MORE excited after 2 years? this is about the time most people want a new car!

Its not the fastest... Its not the biggest... Its not the most practical... but after almost two years of ownership i still wouldn't dream of replacing it

Yeah, I feel similar. I have had my moments when I felt lazy and wanted to go the Jeep route and not be creative. But man, I sure do like getting in the VX everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    I'm so much more enthused about the VX now than I was the day i bought it... what kind of car gets you MORE excited after 2 years? this is about the time most people want a new car!
    That feeling hasn't changed after SIX years of ownership. There are probably more than a few owners who have owned theirs longer and still get excited.
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

You mean like me, waiting for weekends to come around so I can park the WRX in the driveway and roll the VX out of the garage to go joy ride? Ya, I know the feeling.

She flipped 45k miles this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm skerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrred!!!
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

yea ill be down in that area starting monday the 17th til the 28th.. maybe ill see ya joy riding

I'm with ya man. I still can't think of any vehicle I would rather be driving! (except maybe a WWII German Half-track)

Long live the VehiCROSS!

Bart

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    For me, the greatest credit to the VX was the number of member/owners who had more than one of them in the driveway.
    I can think of quite a few here.

I've been a member of dozens of auto-enthusiast sites, and I can count maybe two or three other owners who loved their cars so much that they had duplicates.

Thumbs up Just clocked 81,500

81,500 miles and my VX still looks and runs like new. It's amazing how far regular oil changes and keeping it washed and waxed has taken it.
    NAVIGATOR

Whoa the armrest guy. I just read a thread about you.

Not to be confused with navistar.

Good one I liked that.

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
    81,500 miles and my VX still looks and runs like new. It's amazing how far regular oil changes and keeping it washed and waxed has taken it.

I'm at 94K. Looks new, runs great and doesnt drink a bit of oil between changes. She purrrrrs....
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

Thumbs up

I just got the oil changed in my VX for the first time since I bought it, right at the 3K mark. (The guys at the place that does all my auto work flipped out. I took me longer to talk about the V than to do the work, well, almost.) I had checked the oil every time I got gas and never saw any usage. Then the last fill up, only 300 miles before the oil change, I didn't get a chance to check to oil. When they changed it, I was a quart and a half low. The dude said it wasn't even on the stick when he checked. He checked for leaks, none. (He said the car was in GREAT shape, he thought it was new.) The only thing I could find was very sooty tail pipe. He mentioned that Isuzu was known for burning oil when the oil got thin (hot or old). Have any of you heard of that? (Just past the 80K mile mark.)

yep typical of many VXs to burn oil.. try changing the PCV valve and making sure that your oil filler cap seals correctly.. ive been finding quite a bit of oil along the passenger side spark plugs and around the oil filler neck.. i changed out my cap and gasket yesterday (see thread about oil filler gasket) and hopefully that will change, i cleaned up all the oil i could and checked today (maybe 45 miles w/ the new cap) and theres no signs of any oil in the area.. and i was drivin it hard to test it

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    OT:
    Oil Consumption. Do a search for an older post by me on this subject.
    If you're finding oil on the passenger side of your engine, it's worth a look.

My wife's Dragon blew through a couple of quarts in a day as a result of this leaking valve cover gasket.
    It leaves almost no trace of the leak if it sprays in the right direction.

An Isuzu tech told me to switch to 0W30 oil to quiet the motor down, it worked and didn't cause any oil consumption (burning).
    I wouldn't say that thin oil is a bad thing.

The VX's greatest attribute is the knowledge contained within this owner community.