Thread: 12 bolt lockers are now available

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger VX'er View Post
    A bit off topic...I installed one of these in the rear of my 2WD Dodge Ram for daily driving street duty with occasional "yard-duty" and love it! The PowerTrax locker is very quiet for daily driving...testing it in the snow and am very happy so far. You hear no clicking after 50 miles of break-in. They list Isuzu applications but I don't know if it is compatible with our axle. Their conventional "lunch-box" locker that is noisy is called the LockRite.

http://www.powertrax.com/
    That's good to hear, how long did the install take? Does it make the rear end get sideways easier?
    I'm guessing as I haven't checked out he link, but their Isuzu application may only cover the models that came with Dana rear ends.
    Thanks for the info.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    That's good to hear, how long did the install take? Does it make the rear end get sideways easier?
    I'm guessing as I haven't checked out he link, but their Isuzu application may only cover the models that came with Dana rear ends.
    Thanks for the info.
    The instructions were very good...most of the work is putting all the locker pieces together in your hands...inserting tiny springs...lubing the specified surfaces with assembly grease...removing the Limited slip unit was easy...the only snag I hit was when doing the actual swap there didn't at first appear to be enough clearance to install it...made me think it wasn't the right part# but it finally slipped into place. Tight fit. like 2-3 hours of being overly cautious to install..probably could do it again in like under 2 hrs.

It reacts differently on different surfaces. The best I can describe it is if you give it the right amount of gas on a slippery surface (snow) it reminds me of a NHRA dragster "shaking the tires" in that they oscillate rapidly as if "hunting" for traction and it rapidly subsides as you begin moving forward. If you "hot-dog" (i.e. too much gas) you will go sideways like a crab but, it is pretty forgiving...I did this for like 50 yrds showing off...lol. The closest I'll probably come to "drifting".

If you stop at an intersection and make a right or left turn with normal throttle you won't even know it is there...but, if you are aggressive on the throttle when turning you will bark the inside rear tire as it is trying to drive both tires equally under heavy throttle. The instructions say to ease off the throttle when turning on slippery conditions as heavy throttle will cause the front to understeer (plow, push) but, I haven't experienced this yet.

Personally, I like your idea of using a "lunch box" setup for only the rear axle and using an "air locker" for the front. I woudn't use it in both axles.
    Last edited by Jolly Roger VX'er : 12/15/2007 at 06:40 PM Reason: add time to install.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger VX'er View Post
    If you "hot-dog" (i.e. too much gas) you will go sideways like a crab but, it is pretty forgiving...I did this for like 50 yrds showing off...lol. The closest I'll probably come to "drifting".
    I'm guessing with a longer wheelbase comes more forgiveness...I've found in the past, that the VX being rather short, can & WILL swap ends in the blink of an eye & go crunch into a tree...
    Guess I'd better plan on toning down the skinny pedal during our slippery winters.
    Thanks again for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    I heard that some Isuzu's came with a winter mode switch that does some crazy thing like start in 3rd gear. Actually, try icy driving with a 6" lifted YJ on 35" BFG MT's with 4.56's, Detroit locker in the rear, and Auburn LSD in the front. The only good thing there was you could glide over half the things you would normally just slide into... curbs, fire hydrants, children, your boss, etc...
    LOL...sounds like a line from Johnny Dangerously.

It shoots through schools, Johnny...

Thumbs up

Got my open carrier from the man in brown today...also, from a man named Brown.(Matt)
    Just sittin' on my couch, dry fitting all the new innards into it, visions of nearly vertical ascents drifting through my brain...

Dunno if I'll be able to get it done in time for Moab, but having a "sort of" pre assembled locker in your lap has a certain motivational effect...
    Last edited by Ldub : 04/15/2008 at 06:42 AM

LDub whatever happened here?

This is the only 5.38 they have for the front now:

https://id211.chi.us.securedata.net/...roducts_id=461

So basically this "RD94 ARB Airlocker" works by using copmpressed air to lock and unlock the front end (on this particular product), so when in the "unlocked" position (in daily on road driving) how would this effect handling/drivability?

Would it be stupid to have a ARB Airlocker on the front and rear end?

ARB air lockers are a lot more expensive then the aussie lockers, mainly because they allow you to choose when it is locked. They are a better locker because of it. The aussie locker is always engaged unless it senses that you need to be unlocked, like for turning. The arb you choose when it is locked and unlocked, which makes a much better solution for daily driving. Though with the cost of an ARB at $800-$900 and an aussie half that, usually that makes the choice for most people.

Also, the 5.38s are pretty low gears and would be too low for any tires we run for the street. It would take it past the stock ratio with larger tires on. You would have a lot of power, but the top end would be really limited. I think I figured with my 33" tires I would be running 3500 rpms at 60 mph, which is a far cry from my 2200 now.
    Ryan Christiansen

Trooper Skid Plates, OME 912's, Stric9 Sliders, Load Warrior with extension, Apline sub in rear door, Apline front speakers, Alpine head unit, Definity Dakota MT 285/75 R16, Aussie Lockers Front and Rear, 4.77 gears and Warn Manual Hubs.http://picasaweb.google.com/RyanVehiX

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast View Post
    LDub whatever happened here?

This is the only 5.38 they have for the front now:

https://id211.chi.us.securedata.net/...roducts_id=461

So basically this "RD94 ARB Airlocker" works by using copmpressed air to lock and unlock the front end (on this particular product), so when in the "unlocked" position (in daily on road driving) how would this effect handling/drivability?

Would it be stupid to have a ARB Airlocker on the front and rear end?
    Unfortunately, I haven't installed mine yet. Summer sort of slipped away...

I'd check with Matt(Indy 4 X) via phone call before getting a setup third with 5:38's...Unless he's been able to get some 5:38's made for the rear 12, you'll have a hard time (if at all) finding matching ratio rear gearing.

IIRC, the only Isuzus that could use 5:38's, were the ones that came with Dana 44's...check it out, I hope I'm wrong.