Thread: Adding lights to the front.

Talking Adding lights to the front.

All right people, I need opinions here. (And please, seeing what this group is capable of, lets keep the opinions relevant to the question, OK?!?!?) I bought a set of Hella 2020 fog/driving lights to go in the holes on either side of the front license plate location. I’ve made a set of brackets to attach the lights to the support bar that runs across the front between the grille and the front cladding. After taking a last look at the holes and the cladding, I now think I have two options. Mount the brackets to the bar and the lights to the brackets, OR, use the plates of the brackets to stiffen the cladding and mount the lights to that. Either way, I’m drilling holes. One way in the bar, the other would be holes in the cladding. Personally, I’d rather drill the bar and be able to hide the holes if the lights should need to be removed, but, y’all know a heck of a lot more about these fine machines than I do. What do you think, drill the bar, or drill the cladding? Let me know what you think.

D.W.
    Last edited by DarkWing : 12/17/2007 at 07:26 PM Reason: I'm an engineer, like I could spell

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    I driller & through bolted the cladding with stainless hardware & never looked back.
    Last edited by Ldub : 12/17/2007 at 09:17 PM

i'm not exactly sure how your mounts work but i would probably try to trill through the top of the opening in the cladding so that the holes are hidden if you decide to pull the lights for whatever reason... also not sure about your intentions with the fog lights but have you considered taking out the stock ones and replacing them with hella micro fog lights they fit in there pretty nicely... i would try to avoid putting a hole in that bar

another thought.. theres a brace up the center of the front of the vx just behind the bumper, i bet you could easily fab something that would bolt to that with existing bolts and no drilling would be required, not sure how you are with fab work but i dont think it'd be too bad

Extra lights is the reason most of us bought the safari bar.

The higher you can mountthe lights the better. Huge difference when I moved my lights from under the bar to on top.

John C.

"(And please, seeing what this group is capable of, lets keep the opinions relevant to the question, OK?!?!?) "

Who's he talking about???

I agree with Eric's suggestion: "have you considered taking out the stock ones and replacing them with hella micro fog lights they fit in there pretty nicely" Just don't try to use the stock wires unless to control a relay (won't handle the current).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Talking Tanx

Well, I thought about the top lip of the hole of the cladding, it just didn't look like there was enough there to drill and have a good base, but I will look at it again.

I will say I am surprised, I thought the cladding was sacred ground, not to be drilled upon. That is why I went through the hassle of making the brackets.

I am planning on the replacement of the OEM "fog" lights, sometimes called the parking lights. It is all in the name of illumination.

Thanks for y'alls input. I sill start work on mounting this weekend and post pix when I am done.

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.

Hi Darkwing.....

Quote Originally Posted by DarkWing View Post

Thanks for y'alls input.

Did ya get my e-mail regarding the full brush guard?????

Seems from your posts that youre still interested......

....Its an ML320 unit...modified.

Ya PM'd me....I sent a response...silence followed???

I'll help more if I can....

jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    Bolt right through the cladding, using good hardware and a backing plate (just 18ga. stainless).

These are micro fogs on the bumper, and KC slimlights on the grill (mounted using the same method, but with rubber washers to dampen vibrations).

I didn't want my lights sticking out further than my bumper, and these tucked in just enough...

Thumbs up

If I PM'ed you, I couldn't tell you how. I don't do any of the IM stuff. I know I sent an e-mail, and yes, I got yours in return. Thanks for the information, but I don't think I'll be trying that one myself. No real metal working capability. Again, thanks for the info.

D.W.

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.

Hey Darkwing....

No problem.

I was just concerned that ya didnt get my reply..
    .... cause I heard nothing after I answered the questions you e-mailed me.

jo