Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Moab ZuZoo XI 2008

Is it time to go already? My wife is anxious, especially after I showed the videos from last year. She may be more excited than me at this point.

The VX run is open to non VX's. It started as a run to get the noob VXers a chance to see what the VX was capable before hitting runs with all the other Zu's the rest of the week. Size of the group might dictate leaving others behind though. However with that said your friend can always ride along with you for the VX run (if needed) and then wheel his 'migo the rest of the week.

Handheld (FSR) radios are not compatible with CB's...CBs are worth the $$ if you plan on doing any other wheeling. Plus like everyone said it makes the trails more interesting and fun. Most club/groups use them to comunicate.

As far as stock VX's with stock tires... you will see that on a lot of the trails (especially the slickrock trails) street tires will sometimes work better than the off road tires. There will be several stock VX's there. I recommend that if you are new to the off road thing follow another vehicle that is the same as yours and watch the line they take on the obstacle. Those of us with more experience are always more that happy to jump out and spot you. I have yet to see anyone damage their VX's unless they were ,well, doing things to push the upper limits! The VX run is usually pick keeping in mind that there will be new people but with enough difficulty to let you see the capabilities that it posesses.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    I have yet to see anyone damage their VX's unless they were ,well, doing things to push the upper limits!
    You mean like Dub in the Tub?

Bart

Talking

Tysamigo- I went with a fully stock VX. It was my first time offroading ever!!! I hadn't even done a dirt road until Moab. No special tires or anything and I came through without a scratch... thanks to all of my wonderful spotters (Gill...thanks by the way.) But you have to trust your spotters judgement. Remember they can see more than you can. And only listen to one person (the one you deem most trustworthy.) when you have 10 shouting at you...

Can't wait to see you there!

Kenny- F&T Rocked! Great pucker factor, but still no scrapes or bashes! YAY! I can't wait!
    ~*~Cece~*~

- Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    You mean like Dub in the Tub?

Bart
    Yeah, because everyone knows I would not do anything like that

Quote Originally Posted by tysamigo View Post
    First timer has a few questions:

Also, this would be my first time for any kind of real off roading (more than my usual farm field off roading). I have a stock VX. Could I participate and expect my baby to be in just as good condition when its over?

I've read many posts here and it looks like a hell of a lot of fun, i just wanna make sure my baby will be in good shape if I take it out into the abyss lol I'm not really sure what to expect but I think Athlete has a great idea to get a CB, consider that part done. Good lookin!

Is the trail long enough where we would camp out along the way? Any other advice

Last year was my first year and I was bone stock except for a trooper skid plate which can be found used I bought new for 70 something. (bought as precausion just in case) I was on really and I mean REALLY bad tired and I did fine. I went to hotel rock 1st day which had a little more pucker factor than Elephant hill I did the next day and I must say you will be Amazed what these things can do. Yes TRUST your spotter and you will be fine. Even if you think you dont have control they can see more than you and you will be ok.

As far as camping no there wont be camping on the trail. Well as far as I know I only went on two of them.

hope to see you there.
    "It's not sexual harassment, I am just building up your tolerence"-Dumke

Do I even what to know???

Exactly how did this person end up in this situation? And some would wonder why I might not take to the off-road thing real quickly~~~

D.W.

Not to worry.....for every hard route there are different easier paths you can take. You don't have to take a hard one if you don't want to.

That picture with Billy was taken at Hell's Gate during ZuZu 2006. What you didn't see was Victor making a succussful run through Hell's Gate first, then me, an Izusu pick up truck, and then Billy.

Check this thread. http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=8822 There are a lot of great pictures our VXs and all the different slick rock around Moab. Enjoy and hope to see you out there.

Peace.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

I just wanted Larry, who was riding shotgun, to get a better look at that rock!:bwgr:
    I am one of those guys who likes to push the upper limits...not always a good idea to follow my lead!

OK since the subject came up I’ll give you my thoughts on CB’s
    1. Don’t go on an organized trail run without one. Period.
    2. Don’t rely on a hand held. (I have a couple and only use them for spotter duties so that I am THE ONLY ONE THAT IS BEING HEARD in the spotted vehicle) they just don’t work good from inside a vehicle and most of them sound like crap anyway. In a pinch a hand held CB can be used with an external antenna but with all the wires is a PITA.
    3. Make sure it works and that you can be understood (this means you need to do this before the trail not during)
    4. Tune your antenna. SWR meters are cheep or built into the more expensive CB’s.
    5. For less than $75 you can get a CB and magnetic mount antenna that will work just fine. No need to spend more unless you want a good microphone.
    6. Stick with a name brand such as Midland, Cobra or Uniden. To tell you the truth though the quality has gone down the last few years. I have gone through a lot of cheep and expensive radios from the $40 to $500 ones so now I only buy cheep name brand ones. Stay away from refurbished radios you find on the web. I have several and they all have issues.
    7. Big truck stops are the place to buy them along with any other CB equipment like antennas, SWR meters and mounts. Radio Shack and Wallmart just don’t have everything you need so at some point you will end up at a truck stop.
    8. Linda and I also use FRS/GRMS radios but we use them for private conversations, not to talk to the rest of the group.
    9. During Easter Jeep Safari we ask participants to have CB’s but my experience has been that only 75% do have them and out of the 75% only 25% can be understood during introductions at the beginning of each trail ride.
    Todd

Wink

Looking forward to meeting everyone for the first time! Got my vacation approved and reserved a room already! Now I just got to whip ole bessie into shape to make the trek!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Great news! It will be nice to me you.
    Peace.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger VX'er View Post
    Looking forward to meeting everyone for the first time! Got my vacation approved and reserved a room already! Now I just got to whip ole bessie into shape to make the trek!
    DITTO!!.. I cannot wait to see what some of you are like in person. I like the guys I have met so far. Became friends with the two fellow Renonians. Justin (Zues) is a cool dude too.

Ahh shucks... I can't wait to hang with the Reno gang again!
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Wow, we are damn near 20!!! This is gonna be good! Come on, we need two more!

Bart