Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: SC owners... clicking noise from SC

20K miles of rattle on mine and no problems. Call Magnuson if you want a second opinion as they are the manufacturer of the unit.

The rattle *IS* the problem.

John C.

Originally posted by Hotsauce
    OK, I just ordered a coupling from them. I'm gonna be the guinea pig for this thing I guess.
    John C.
    Be sure to take lots of pics. I had Alpine send me a new nose cone a couple of months back, nd from what I saw, he shaft in the nose cone is geared and goes directly into the blower drive gears. The nose cone is lubed via atomization of the oil in the blower (no separate oil res. like in Dallas' link.) I don't see how there could be a coupler in there also. I didn't take the front of the blower off to see since the nose cone can be changed without draining the oil and I didn't want the hassle.

After the install I still had the chattering, just a little quieter and different pitch. Alpine has assured me, and others, that this is acceptable so I guess I'll keep on truckin' and see.

Not sure what rattle noise you guys are talking about but mine has no such noise, I notice that the front of mine is different than yours, is mine a newer cone?

-Dave

Supposedly, the newer kits have "sealed" bearings in the nose cone, as opposed to floating ball bearings. I have actually read that the rattling in the nose cone is very common and shouldn't hurt anything, as this is what Alpine said as well... of course, they sent me a replacement nose cone, too.

I'm thinking of buying a coupler as well, just to rule out any present or near future rattles or problems I may have when getting the new nose cone installed.

Well, the parts arrived. 2 bottles of GM SC fluid, the new coulper, and a suprize, a set of allen wrenches.

The wrenches were the wring size for the cover bolts, but one fit the filler plug perfectly. I put it in, and put some leverage on it, the wrench(china) twisted up. Oh well, its the thought that counts. I removed it with my snap-on sockets.

removing the gear cover is quite simple, just remove the belt, remove all the socket head cap screws,a nd pull the cover off. You do NOT want to pull the rotors out. I cleaned everything off, used gasket sealer on the faces, and reassembled it with the new coupler. The old one didn't appear worn much at all, but the new one is deffinatly beefier.

I changed the main serpentine belt while I had things apart also.

I started the engine up, and.... the noise is still there! So, although ZZP was quick in sending out the parts and all, this is not the solution to this particular problem for us.

John C.