Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Lift options

Actually the rear axle might have a slight nose up angle when lifted. The adjustable lower links could restore the axle to level. The lateral rod still might still have to be lengthened to center the rear axle left to right.

When I do this I'll take a lot of pics and measurements for the "historical records". :bwgr:

Navi

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by navistar View Post
    Actually the rear axle might have a slight nose up angle when lifted. The adjustable lower links could restore the axle to level. The lateral rod still might still have to be lengthened to center the rear axle left to right.

When I do this I'll take a lot of pics and measurements for the "historical records". :bwgr:

Navi
    Well, that's true, but you will also be putting a steeper angle on the U-joint.
    I doubt that the slight change in axle angle is going to have much of an effect on how much oil the ring gear is swimming in.
    I'm not 100% for sure, but you MAY be over thinkin' this a tad.
    (see lift & live happily ever after comment above)

Yeah..maybe I am over thinkin it.

But still......

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by navistar View Post
    Yeah..maybe I am over thinkin it.

But still......
    I know... you're just tryin' to do it right.

Jack up the VX and put some jack stands under it to see where the lift will take the suspension geometry. All your questions will be answered. Otherwise, Lift it and then think. If you don't like something after you lift it, then change it.
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

QUOTE: "A lot of people get the low-profile bump stops to allow for more front end down travel but since the Ranchos don't provide the needed down travel for the VX, the bumpers would be a waste."

Are you saying that I should not use the Rancho 9000xls after the 912 lift? Or are you saying to keep the stock bumpers otherwise the shocks would end up taking the hit of the downward travel using the low-profile bump stops?

Please clearify.

Navi

As posted by Green Dragon:

"Shock Travel Compressed-Extended

Isuzu OEM
    Front
    10.24-15.35
    Rear
    12.56-19.25

Rancho 9000 or RS 9000X

Front PN RS9214 or PN- RS99214
    9.67-14.82
    Rear PN RS9215 or PN- RS99215
    12.66-19.78"

So by these numbers the front Ranchos are about 1/2" short. May not matter with stock bump stops, but increasing the downward travel of the A-arms may damage the Ranchos. So ideally, if the XL's specs match the X's you could maybe use a 5/8" - 3/4" spacer at the top of the shock to compensate. The low profile snubbers could then be used as intended. I had planned on fabbing up new shock towers for mine but am still researching.

Of course that's one extreme to the other as in off-roading requirements but for normal every day driving and Interstate it probably wouldn't matter much.

Talking

do any of you guys know of a websirte, that i can buy some offroad shocks, cuz my stock ones are starting to go and i really like the stiff and rough ride, cuz it pays off on turns and offroad. I really would like to get me some nice offroad shocks with the oil tude on the side of it, just like our stock ones.

Whats the Point of Living, if You don't go BIG.....
    Turning My VX Into Rally VX

I have been checking out some Bilsteins but I would be fabbing up shock towers to fit them. I am still not sold on anything that is supposed to bolt in, aside from the OEM's.

Quote Originally Posted by CoastieCosta567 View Post
    do any of you guys know of a websirte, that i can buy some offroad shocks, cuz my stock ones are starting to go and i really like the stiff and rough ride, cuz it pays off on turns and offroad. I really would like to get me some nice offroad shocks with the oil tude on the side of it, just like our stock ones.
    The other option would be to have your stock shocks re-built here : www.brucessuspension.com

It's about $130 ea. last I checked, & from what I've heard he does good work.
    Do a site search for bruces suspension or shock rebuilds for further info.
    Also, it is my understanding, that new caps have to be fabbed for the remote oil reservoirs (pvc pipe caps & silicone?), as the old ones are toatt upon removal.
    But if your seals are blown & the fliud is gone, it's too late.
    Last edited by Ldub : 02/03/2008 at 06:56 PM

Do your OME 912 springs feel softer or increase body roll on the street? Also I'm going to use Rancho 9000XL's.

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    The other option would be to have your stock shocks re-built here : www.brucessuspension.com

It's about $130 ea. last I checked, & from what I've heard he does good work.
    Do a site search for bruces suspension or shock rebuilds for further info.
    Also, it is my understanding, that new caps have to be fabbed for the remote oil reservoirs (pvc pipe caps & silicone?), as the old ones are toatt upon removal.
    But if your seals are blown & the fliud is gone, it's too late.
    When I checked about 8 months ago Bruce was no longer doing these.

There is a place in Denver that did Jerry's from SLC. RG3 Motorsports is the company... http://www.rg3denver.com Total set will cost you about $900 depending on what needs to be done, but a new set will run you $2,500 so if you want OEM...

If you want a local place to you see if you can find a company that does rebuilds for dirt bikes and motocross bikes.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by dfwvx View Post
    Do your OME 912 springs feel softer or increase body roll on the street? Also I'm going to use Rancho 9000XL's.
    All of the OME Coils are stiffer than stock. They will decrease body roll a little bit.

Has anyone done a 3 inch lift with the Rancho 9000 xl 214's and 215's amd OME 912 springs? Do I need to use longer shocks like the ome's or the secret part number longer Ranchs the independent 4x is selling? Please help.