Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: VX go boom....

Unhappy VX go boom....

Well it more like knock-knock- knock -BANG -BANG -BANG.
    Its was a soft like knock in Houston by the time i got to columbis it way loud.
    I came back the next day with a trailer and brought her home.
    Shes now at the dealer and the fight begins with the ins company.
    I pulled the oil filter off and cut it open to see if just full of metal.
    Its spun a rod bearing for sure.
    Are these engines known for bad oil pressure or something?

The engines are quite robust and are used across the Isuzu model line such as in the Trooper and Rodeo in addition to the VX. However you likely sealed your fate by not stopping as soon as you heard an unusual noise to assess the situation, which your insurance/warranty company will file under negligence.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

it knocked for about 2 min as i got off I10. So if they can pull that then i will just let my company Lawyer fight it out with them. Then file suet for the lost time due to litigation.

The more I see of these types of threads, the more stressed I become every time I decide to drive the VX anywhere. If this keeps up, I might have to end up selling due to health reasons.

You can look and look for reasons why the 3.5 fails like this in Troopers, VX's, and Rodeos. And you'll come up with all sorts of possibilites - bad oiling system, clogged ports in the pistons or somewhere, plugged egr tube, leaky head gasket, loose oil fill tube, low maintainence... it goes on and on to the point that it is best to assume the whole thing is a myth... hehehe. Otherwise, yes, the 3.5 has a reputation for burning oil and going POW! Sorry it happened to you... I am at 64,500 miles now and I wonder how much time I have left.
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Lets clear the air here.
    Ok, i am new to the vx bunch but i am a master tech only i try not to deal with gas stuff, Big diesel is where i choose to stay and make damn good money.

This VX was rough when i got her, i actually had to push French fry's off the floor board to test drive it. The maint up to 93k is a mystery to me and it may not ever had an oil change up to that point for all i know.
    I got it and dumped all fluids ,wp,t belt tein,tires,etc in it with in 1k. She ran well but there was allways the wonder how the insides were because of the poor cond i bought it in. This is the only vehicle i have ever bought with a warranty for this reason!
    So i heard from the service mgr and it sounds like a reman motor will be going in the unit.

Just because my vx blew up does not mean your will!!!! my VX was very abused when i got her.

I bet you'll find #1 spun...Good Luck...Rene
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    " Jeeps are nice, Barbie has one"

Nope # 3 checked out.

Getting one with that much unknown mileage is tough and something of a gamble. I've purchased several of my Isuzus with over 90K miles counting on their reliability and haven't yet been disappointed, but obviously if one has been abused it doesn't matter how well built it is. As for the myth of VX's having engine problems I think I've finally decided to quit trying to educate against it and maybe start supporting it. From my standpoint of being a VX collector it's ideal as it can only further depress the value, making additional acquisitions achievable. The VX is currently between $5K and $10K in pricing, so a good "crap engine" rumor should get that down to where I may finally get one of each color within a few years.

Yep, i knew the risk. But for 8k i could not pass it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Black View Post
    As for the myth of VX's having engine problems I think I've finally decided to quit trying to educate against it and maybe start supporting it. From my standpoint of being a VX collector it's ideal as it can only further depress the value, making additional acquisitions achievable. The VX is currently between $5K and $10K in pricing, so a good "crap engine" rumor should get that down to where I may finally get one of each color within a few years.
    Haha, now that's thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by Rene M View Post
    Just because my vx blew up does not mean your will!!!! my VX was very abused when i got her.
    I'm just a glass is half empty kind of guy! Less disappointment when things turn to manure that way.

Wink

Unlike alot of people here, I worry more about the trannie going ga-boing!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Black View Post
    ....As for the myth of VX's having engine problems I think I've finally decided to quit trying to educate against it and maybe start supporting it...
    Why does it always seem to come down to insulting the intelligence of others to validate beliefs? There was really no need for it. Personally, I'm glad for you that you've had such good past experience with Isuzu products over the last 20 years. But the specific subject being discussed is Vehicross reliability. Overall, Isuzu may very well have had a great track record with all their other vehicle models. But percentage-wise, based just on the total US production numbers for the VX from '99-'01, to say that the failure rate witnessed should be regarded as nothing more than a myth is almost equivalent to burying ones head in the sand. (And I'm basing that failure rate on just this board alone, it's possible that the numbers could be higher, and that some people who experienced problems never bothered to come here to discuss them. What IS the percentage of total, active Vehicross.info owners/posters when compared to total production #'s?)

I don't know why you seem to take these types of threads personally, but I really don't think anyone is implying that because you have been an Isuzu enthusiast over the years, you are now stupid just because their most high profile product to hits the streets in the last decade or so has had more than it's fair share of inherent problems. That would be an unfair generalization. So with all due respect, after having read the factual experiences listed here over the last few years regarding problems fellow owners have had (there's even a specific thread/poll based on engine failure for Christs' sake), I for one would appreciate the same consideration even though I've reached a less than mythical opinion of Isuzu.

I've lost two engines in less than 20k miles and within 13 months of one another so I've formed my own opinion. I think it's the luck of the draw.

Mrcln1
    Last edited by Mrcln1 : 01/20/2008 at 07:53 PM