Since we have visibility issues with the VX, thought I'd pass this along. I've been using this method for about a year now and it does work - it just takes a while to get used to. This actually came out as a safety bulletin where I work and the write up was better. I'll post the other write up if I can find it.

http://safetynet.smis.doi.gov/SideMirrorAdj.htm

Blind spots resulting from the positioning of rear-view mirrors on vehicles are responsible for many accidents. Most experienced drivers with accident-free records have experienced a near miss due to blind spots. Mirrors are often positioned where the driver's view is not directed properly to view potential dangers. Cell phone users are more likely not to check mirrors when driving and talking. Also, many drivers have experienced fender benders and far worse from "not seeing the other car" due to improperly positioned mirrors and failure to check blind spots.

Many of us learned to position the outside left and right side-view mirrors by adjusting them until you just view the side of the vehicle while sitting in the driver's seat. This method still leaves dangerous blind spots.

A method of adjusting outside mirrors that is becoming increasingly popular positions each mirror so that the driver does not view the side of the vehicle. This position allows a trailing vehicle to be observed immediately after its view is lost from the inside center rear-view mirror; assuming that this center mirror is properly adjusted.

To adjust the side-view mirrors properly, one moves slightly to the left and right of normal driving position, and adjusts the mirrors to just view the side of the vehicle. This can be accomplished by placing your head on the driver's window while adjusting the left side mirror, and by sitting in the center of the vehicle while adjusting the right side mirror.

Always remember that to be 100% certain there is not a car in your blind spot - LOOK - when preparing to change lanes.