Thread: trany flush woes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

trany flush woes

I was tempted to go for the D-I-Y tranny flush but decided to take it to the local isuzu to "get it done right" Well now seems like the clutch is gone and pops out of first or will take a while to to gear from 2nd to 3rd. I drove around today for abit and it seemed to go away.. but I have a feeling that I should have just saved the money for a new tranny.. stupid gm parts

I would take the time to crawl under there and check the tranny fluid level yourself. There is a good chance they might not have put enough fluid in there from the start. It is a bit of a job, but worth it if it is just low fluid. Did they change the filter too or just drain and refill?

Thats sucks man.

Bart

Sounds like you're low on fluid, Frank....you still in O-town?

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    I agree with Bart, if it's low on juice, it will make unpleasant noises & slip under acceleration.

wow, thanks for the quick replies! I will get under to check it out.. do I just remove filler bolt and poke finger in though?
    I did notice a slow shift from 3rd to 4th before I brought it in; so when the service guy said my clutch was going because of slow shifts, I believed him. He continued saying I would need to replace my enitre tranny since these tranny's can't be opened up and worked on.. only swapped out. anyway, Thanks again

oh and yeah I'm in orlando doing what I do best.. working insaine overtime for airtran

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Francesco Rizzo View Post
    wow, thanks for the quick replies! I will get under to check it out.. do I just remove filler bolt and poke finger in though?
    I did notice a slow shift from 3rd to 4th before I brought it in; so when the service guy said my clutch was going because of slow shifts, I believed him. He continued saying I would need to replace my enitre tranny since these tranny's can't be opened up and worked on.. only swapped out. anyway, Thanks again

oh and yeah I'm in orlando doing what I do best.. working insaine overtime for airtran
    Somewhere on here is a scan from the manual about how to check the level, just do a search, but in a nut shell:

1) Park the VX on level ground
    2) Start the engine and let it idle for a bit
    3) Gen in the driver's seat and slowly shift through all the gears, from PARK all the way down and back again. Leave VX running and in PARK.
    4) Crawl under the VX (yes, while the engine is still running)
    and open the fill port (have a catch pan ready)
    5) If fluid dribbles out, you should be full. If nothing comes out, add fluid until it dribbles out (and yes, while the engine is still running)

Its not fun, its messy and hot (especially in FLA) but not that hard. Use one of those funnels with a lid attached to some clear tubing from Wal*mart, works great for filling the tranny, but you need 2 people and some extra tubing to reach all the way.

We (Reno VXers) just did ours and my VX is shifting smoothly again.

Bart

EDIT: See, I knew Dub would beat me too it.

And oh yea, probably should mention, if you need to add fluid try to add the same stuff the shop did, I would think mixing (esp synth and regular) might cause issues???

Bart

When you open the check hole, it usually runs out pretty freely (maybe a half pint) a flush machine usually puts it back in under some pressure. Glad you're still around We need to get together out your way this spring or summer....maybe out at Kermit Weeks' place....Joe is right there, and we three have aeroplanes in common, I'll see what he has going on out there this year. Wayne

wow.. nothing.. maybe like a a lil drizzle or like it was spitting a few drops.. nothing significant though.. I called and explained how I checked it. The guy told me to bring it in but I do not want to drive it.. too risky to drive about 10 miles?
    Last edited by Francesco Rizzo : 01/30/2008 at 02:11 PM