Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: DC area meet

DC area meet

"Tom, I didn't notice your name on the Moab thread. Its only a 24-25 hour drive from DC.

How about a GW National Forest camping trip? I'm ready for some light wheelin'"

CSTYLES - I'm interested. If you Honcho this one, I'll Honcho a lake event this summer (Lake Anna) for a cook-out & SeaDoo fun. If no-likey Lake Anna, we could do Potomac around Lorton (nice regional park there).

ooh ooh ooh!! im in! im leaving now.. be there in 2 hours!

Okay, done deal. For your consideration, either some "on sand driving" at Assateague Island or some off-roading in GW National Forest. Both options would involve camping, so I would like for it to warm up a bit. Plus I've got a couple more weeks left of this snowboard season.

Last fall I researched two trails in GW, Tasker's Gap (Peter's Mill Run) and Rocky Run Trail. I ran one in a Jeep and the other I rode dirt bikes. You can avoid most of the big rocks and still feel like your "crawlin'." Both depend on sporadic closing by the local ranger station. Neither was very crowded and we saw no rangers the whole time. Tasker's is close to Luray, and is 30 minutes away from canoeing/kayaking at the Shenandoah River Outfitters

I can do the beach around May. Assateague allows off-roading on the MD and VA side. Camping and fires allowed with certain restrictions. The driving is restricted as well, so the novelty of driving on the sand might get old quick.

We could do one or both, just need to find the right weekend.

Tom4Bren Can you pull a wakeboard with the Sea Doo? What are the water temps like at Lake Anna?

Etlsport Can you bring some cheesesteaks - "wiz, without?"

hah! Wiz Wit only!

i prefer the woods over the beach.. but I'm up for either if the consensus goes towards beach

I think I'd prefer the area around Luray for this event. Someday I'd like to drive on Asateaque but not equipped yet.

I've got the SeaDoo Sportster (boat) for tubing, skiing & wakeboarding. I've also got 2 PWCs for the crotch rocket enthusiasts. I need to work on the boat before pulling anyone tho - picked up some gravel last summer on Occoquan & may have damaged the impeller (runs but cavetates under too much power). Lake Anna is warm (especially near the power plant - referred to as the hot side of the lake) June-September & tolerable May-October.

Eric - we'll have to rely on you for the cheese steaks wit. Brother in law & wife are expecting this summer so they won't be attending. Actually, wifey requests sausage pretzels instead (still steaming please).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Okay, agreed then. The bad news is that the trails near Lurray are closed until March 17th this year. The weekend after that is easter. The first weekend I can go would be April 12th and 13th.

TRAIL INFO:
    The Lee Ranger District has two OHV trails, Peter's Mill is about 6.5 miles and Tasker's Gap is about 4.5. They are both rated easy, which means I'll be able to make it without damaging my ride. One trails leads up to the Woodstock Tower, which offers panoramic views of the mountains. The car-camping grounds are also located at the end of the trail.

Close by, the Shenadoah River Outfitters rent canoes and kayaks, with pick up and drop off, for a leisurely 3 mile paddle down the north fork.

On the other hand, Rocky Run in the Dry River Ranger District has no advertised closures, offers 10 miles of trails and camping is permitted anywhere along the trail. This one is located about an hour north, exit at Harrisonburg near JMU.

Originally I planned to hit both in one weekend since I hardly ever get down to VA. You more experienced off-roaders can tell me if that is too much.

they are close enough together that hitting trails in both areas wouldn't be out of the question

As for timing, im not sure what my April - summer schedule will be but for now i have friday-sunday off and will have the week off from March 22-31

I'm thinking my tires are gonna feel inadequate next to u guys lol

April 12-13 would prolly work for me. I'll have to check with Wifey. That'll give me time to equip for camping since it's been YEARS since I've been. I'll tell my wife that the trip & equipment will be my birthday present.

Sorry about this, but the weekend of April 12th is no good. I forgot I have a bachelor party that day and the wedding is the first weekend in May. Besides that I have nothing on the horizon. Maybe we can move the trip to either of the two weekends after (April 19-20 or 26-27). Hopefully we can all agree on a new date...

I'm keeping both weekends open till Y'all decide.

right now i don't have much concept of which will be better.. if I had to guess offhand.. I would say the 19th because the 26th is a good friends b-day so I'm sure there will be something going on for that

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

I will say the 19th is a definite, but I'll keep the following weekend open just in case. When the date gets closer I'll start the rally cry. Maybe we can entice others to join us.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTYLES View Post
    When the date gets closer I'll start the rally cry. Maybe we can entice others to join us.
    I'll try to make it. I'm in Warrenton, so it's fairly close for me.
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

I would love to make it, its only an hour away from Leesburg. Although I can't say yes for sure yet. I'll be picking up my VX this week . Assuming I don't get to lifting my VX before the 19th, think these trails are going to be easy enough for a stock 99?

Thmstec,

I would guess that you would be fine in a stock 99 - hey that rhymes.

I'm lifted with 33x12.50 Wranglers. I haven't been 4 wheeling in my 00 Proton yet & am concerned that I may get some tire rub with the suspension articulated so I want the trip to be 'mild' for my first attempt. If the trails get too difficult, I'll probably 'bail' before you (besides, it's my wife's VX so I'm not allowed to tear it up).

Tom