Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: HD DVD format dead?

I believe they could fit three standard def films on one HD disk, but it would kind of defeat the pourpose.
    While the disk capacity of HD media is higher, I do not think it would allow more than two films on a disk.
    I get impatient enough just forwarding through a few trailers, if I had to load a disk and look for episode 150 of 300 on a single disk, I may never watch it

If you love watching progressively scanned films, your jaw would likely drop when you witnessed on of your favorite DVD's played through my system and upconverted with the Renon processor on the 5K. Then there is the next level up of a true HD media disk!
    Consider yourself officially invited for a viewing anytime you are in Mammoth...

Best,
    James
    snowtrooper1966
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have a Sith sense....I see Darth people...

Thanks for the invite.
    I mapped your local. Looks like you are closer to a Military survival course, or a gun and bomb practice than a major town
    Maybe someday, I do have a brother in Sacramento
    Sometimes I Wonder......
    Why Is That Frizbee Getting Bigger?
    Then It Hits Me

Quote Originally Posted by snowtrooper1966 View Post
    More like Heavenly! cool.

The reason there is more stuff on a Bluray disc is capacity. A regular dvd has 4.7GB (single layer)8.5GB (dual layer).Approximately 3 hours of record time on a dual layer disc. An HD disc has 15GB (single layer)30GB (dual layer)51GB
    (prototype triple layer).approximately 13 hours dvd quality or HD quality 5.1 or 3.3 hours depending on encoding method. Bluray has 25GB (single layer)50GB (dual layer)100GB (prototype quad layer),approximately 23 hours dvd quality or 8.5 or 5.6 hours, depending on encoding method. So the reason Bluray has more stuff on it is because they can. If the HD format had more space they would put more stuff on it. Both HD and Bluray have the same audio specs and the same resolution so there is no difference there. So it really has to do with the capacity, bigger is better. And also on Bluray the extras are in the same format as the movie ,not in lower dvd quality like on the HD dvd, due to lack of space. shawn
    1COOLVX

I can't wait for these to come down in price.

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10867

I have the matching DL DVD.
    The best "superdrive" I've used.

Greetings, psychos2!
    I do not subscribe to that "bigger is better" theory.
    I just want a quality master recording with perhaps some commentary, maybe a few "making of" featurettes.
    I definately do not want my player to be surfing the web looking for links of the film I am watching, and letting me know while I am veiwing said film.
    As far as I know, neither format has come close to filling up a disk yet. The greater Blu capacity is more of a needless gimmick, at this point, IMHO.
    It seems like Blu is adding "pow, wiz, bang" features because they are trying to justify something. In fact, as I stated earlier, most of these little used featuers seem to only make the disks harder for players to handle, and ruining the simple enjoyment of (gasp) enjoying a film!
    Best,
    James
    snowtrooper1966

Bulldoggie,
    If you had that LaCie, where would you be burning stuff from? Archived material from satalite HD feed? That stuff is full of compression atrifacts.
    It seems that the only quality signal you could record would be a local HD broadcast captured from an HD antennae. Unless you would have it hooked up to a HTPC......
    I do have a home A/V component DVD burner. I remember looking at those when they first came out, close to 10k, if memory serves....
    I bought it to burn series episodes I have captured, but as I mentioned, the quality of the sat feed is pretty badly compressed. Coupled with the fact that most of the stuff winds up for sale, I find myself recording less and less. The majority of my digital recording is on my Dishnetwork HD DVR. I like to record "chunks" of series, and watch a few episodes in a sitting.
    For me, there is pride of ownership in professionally mastered and packaged DVD and HD media material.
    Best,
    James
    snowtrooper1966

HD home movies.
    DVD box sets.
    Soon to be common HD Ripping software?
    iTunes back-up to one disc.

I'll wait till blank media is <$5.
    By then the burner will be <$300.

Some features are worth the premium price.
    But if the source is lower quality, DVD is plenty good.
    A lot of my favorite movies are pre-digital.
    Twilight Zone would not look better in Blu

Yea, I don't think HD ripping is too far off. I have seen video of someone cracking the "unbreakable" hd media.....
    I feel if the mastering is done right, the final HD media can look better than what we have had available on DVD.
    I have a few older films on HDDVD that were obviously done with great care, expertise and reverence.
    Two John Wayne films, The Coyboys and The Searchers come to mind, as does 2001: A Space Odessey.
    While watching The Cowboys, it is hard for me to believe that film is 30+ years old....It is obvious that whomever did that trasnfer was a master.
    Best,
    James

I'm a user of both formats. I like them both. Have a PS3 and a HD drive for the xbox. I think everyone should have that combo... invest in a PS3. (the HD drive is only 120 bucks or so for the 360--and chances are you already have a 360, right?)

Honesty, I watch more movies on the PS3 than play games on it. In fact, I really DON't play games on it--it upscales norm DVD;s great and BLU looks amazing.

Formats are honestly the same. Deciding factor is library. HD is capable of better menu interactivity and potentially better extras (sounds silly---but check out the screen-in-screen extras on the movie 300, bluray vs hddvd side by side...if you have both players and bought the BR version you will feel gipped). BR has the capacity, but thats a moot point as well. (blade runner comes in the same amount of discs either way, for example). NOthing has really come to capacity on either format. This leaves library...I'd have a problem if I had to throw out either my HDDVD player or PS3. Take out the only snag in the equation.. get both

Truthfully, reg DVD upscaled through a good player is just fine.
    THIS WE'LL DEFEND

Star Trek - The Original Series looks pretty good on my HD player - completely remasted from the original, cleaned up negatives in HD DVD with new sound and effects. I got my HD player for Christmas, along with 5 HD DVDs (free) and the ST set. I won't be buying any new, but for now I can at least watch what I have - the unit doesn't take up "too" much space.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Well said, spaceCADETzoom!

johnnyapallo,
    with the recent HD DVD news, prices should be dropping fast. You will be able to get HD DVD's for about the same price as a standadrd def DVD....

Standard def DVD upscaled through a Renon processor in unbeleivable

Best,
    James

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by snowtrooper1966 View Post
    Well said, spaceCADETzoom!

johnnyapallo,
    with the recent HD DVD news, prices should be dropping fast. You will be able to get HD DVD's for about the same price as a standadrd def DVD....

Standard def DVD upscaled through a Renon processor in unbeleivable

Best,
    James
    The chip is a reon not renon. And there are some blu players that have the same chip. And you will not have to put it in the corner with the Beta player. I just cannot justify spending $700 or even $100 for something that I will not be able to use in the future. shawn

Shawn,
    I stand corrected! The Reon-VX HQV® video processor is available in the high end Denon DVD-2500BTCI Blu transport, and the lower end model Samsung BD-P1200 Blu player.....
    I think 700 is a small price to pay to make my standard def DVD's look better than ever. Oh yea, the 5K also plays Blu and HD DVD, so that will not be sitting in a corner
    Even if I just had the Toshiba XA2 HD DVD player, I still think that would be a good investment, with it's top notch reon HQV processor your standard def DVD collection picture quality would be greatly enhanced, and the fact that you will recently be able to inexpensively build up a great HD DVD collection...
    Best,
    James