Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Differential drop info

Talking Differential drop info

I have been talking with a couple members here about differential drops lately. I was going to go to the pick n' pull here in town and scavenge some parts off of some troopers and/or rodeos to determine if they could be used on the VX. Long story short, I don't have the time to do that or the money to throw away if they don't work, so I looked it up instead. It seems for those of you wanting to do differential drops to relieve some of that CV angle from lifting, our diff. brackets interchange with 97'-2002 troopers(4 door) WITH TOD. That's not to say the non TOD version won't work, but, being that the brackets may be flimsier on non TOD models is not a chance I'd take or want to be liable for. This would allow you to grab a set out of the junkyard, have your fabwork done while still being able to drive around the whole time, then install whenever you are ready.

I still want to pull a few CV assemblies off of troopers and rodeos to determine if some of the pieces may be applied to the VX. The parts interchange lists them as assemblies that do not swap, but I think that may just be due to overall shaft length. I imagine we may be able to salvage the cups, ball bearings and cages, from one side or the other, and maybe even complete assemblies, provided the differences aren't too great.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

I'd just go buy a wrx to save money and time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascinder View Post
    I have been talking with a couple members here about differential drops lately. I was going to go to the pick n' pull here in town and scavenge some parts off of some troopers and/or rodeos to determine if they could be used on the VX. Long story short, I don't have the time to do that or the money to throw away if they don't work, so I looked it up instead. It seems for those of you wanting to do differential drops to relieve some of that CV angle from lifting, our diff. brackets interchange with 97'-2002 troopers(4 door) WITH TOD. That's not to say the non TOD version won't work, but, being that the brackets may be flimsier on non TOD models is not a chance I'd take or want to be liable for. This would allow you to grab a set out of the junkyard, have your fabwork done while still being able to drive around the whole time, then install whenever you are ready.

I still want to pull a few CV assemblies off of troopers and rodeos to determine if some of the pieces may be applied to the VX. The parts interchange lists them as assemblies that do not swap, but I think that may just be due to overall shaft length. I imagine we may be able to salvage the cups, ball bearings and cages, from one side or the other, and maybe even complete assemblies, provided the differences aren't too great.

Sweet!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Veggiecross View Post

That sounds like a personal problem. There is no fun in that.

This guy is a friend of my little brother. They think it's really mature to come over here and try to get us all riled up. If I drove a bone stock civic, I wouldn't even admit to it on a forum about wheelbarrows and tricycles.:nog::nog:

So with the drop bracket, will I still have enough diff clearance to drive over a WRX? cuz I don't want one stuck under me, people laughing, sparks flying, you know

So Beau(Ascinder) has not been online since like OCT so I wanted to give this thread a little bump.

Mostly in light of Tones recent offering to make altered brackets. I talked it over with Beau and it seems like this could be done pretty cheap.

Darlington OffRoad & Tone both sell the modified brackets & I'll still get them modified for anyone interested for $200 including the crossmember drop brackets.
    Last edited by tom4bren : 01/05/2009 at 02:09 PM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

My issue is cost Tom. I really want this done but cannot afford Tones price and I'm sure Darlingtons either. Not that the price is horrible I just have a hard time spending that kind of mula when I know, working with Beau, I can get it done myself cheaper. Beau posted that the 97'-2002 troopers(4 door) with TOD work. Jolly Roger got some diff drop brackets from Paddoku that look nice but I cannot read the website and I didnt ask how much paid but its another option.

I am not trying to play down Tone, you or darlington. I am just listing thoughts for those who cannot afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by CrnCnn View Post
    My issue is cost Tom. I really want this done but cannot afford Tones price and I'm sure Darlingtons either. Not that the price is horrible I just have a hard time spending that kind of mula when I know, working with Beau, I can get it done myself cheaper. Beau posted that the 97'-2002 troopers(4 door) with TOD work. Jolly Roger got some diff drop brackets from Paddoku that look nice but I cannot read the website and I didnt ask how much paid but its another option.

I am not trying to play down Tone, you or darlington. I am just listing thoughts for those who cannot afford it.
    $200 for diff drop brackets?

How is that expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast View Post
    $200 for diff drop brackets?

How is that expensive?
    Its expensive when i only 20 dollars in my bank account.

It really isnt that bad.

All I'm sayin is that for some effort on my part and whatever this guy at work might charge I can possibly save.

If not, I will be happy to spend the mula when I get it.

I didnt know that Tom was doin his deal when I posted on this. I guess thats what I get for not reading every post anymore. Also, last I had read was that Darlington did not sell them anymore.

Really, I am not trying to make a stink about it. Just posted some thoughts.

Hey, thinking "outside the box" is good. That's how the VX was dreampt up in the first place.

You could always rotate the mounting holes for the axle housing to cut down a little on the U-joint angle increase from the drop. I chose not to since I didn't want to screw up the phase.

You could possibly make spacers to go between the brackets & the frame instead of modifying the brackets. I never liked spacers tho so I didn't go that route.

You could slot all of the holes to make the drop adjustable. I was SCEEERED to try that so didn't.

All kinds of possibilities when you think outside the box.

Tom

BTW, the only way I've ever been in contact with Joe Darlington is by email:

darlington-offroad@nc.rr.com

His website kinda didn't work for me - never fully loaded & didn't have any procuct info - just links:

www.darlington-offroad.com

An FYI...

Darlington-offroad.com is no longer anything to do with Darlington Offroad, it appears as though it was poached by bastards who wait for domains to expire, then they buy them, and use them for their own personal advertising, so by clicking the links, they get a small commission (pennies) but enough people do it to make it worth it to them.

If you're going to work with Darlington I'd email Joe.

Just trying to look out for everyone.

For $200 bucks this isn't a terrible deal depending on the person. I pretty much told Clint my take on doing anything for the VX. I feel if you have the time, equipment and skills to do it yourself and not the money lying around, then it makes sense to me to have direct accountability of the quality control of your product. I am not trying to stir anything up by saying this, but I really wonder how much consideration was taken into account if one of these units failed. Losing your front axle when wheeling or going down the freeway is potentially lethal in either case. I trust myself to modify my own stuff to that effect, but selling it to other people myself or as a broker would give me pause. These aren't exactly simple things like tube doors or a roof rack. High power stuff moving at high speeds and high precision attach and rely on these to function without breaking. I'm not saying don't buy them, they have no reason to be doubted as the their quality or strength, I justy prefer knowing who is ultimately responsible for my safety. That said, with the extended length of these brackets, I would suggest anyone making them add some gussets or even a short tube welded to the outside of each one to surround the CV cup just to stiffen the design. Longer brackets equal more leverage then shorter ones, and therefore bend more easily. Also, welded metal tends to be more fatigue prone that unwelded, so every bit helps.

Good points Ascinder. I hadn't considered any form of added gusseting for strength since it's all a tight fit in that area. I don't think that the differential brackets really carry much of a load anyway. If you look at where they mount to the frame, there is a rubber bushing in there. If they were subject to loads that could potentially break a weld, they would be hard mounted to the frame (IMHO). I've had mine dropped for 6 months now & haven't noticed any signs of trouble.