Thread: A little help...LIFT?????

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast View Post
    So if I jack up the back enough for the tires to be off the ground after unbolting the bottom of the shocks I should not need a spring compressor? I have one good jack and two jack stands I should be able to figure that out. Do I remember someone jacking up the whole back end at once safely using a jack and some wood on the gas tank? That just doesn't sound safe to me.
    No spring compressor needed dude...consider the fact that the block of wood on the gas tank advice came from someone who is a first gen. wrench, & was passing along the advice from someone who calls themself SPAZZ...if you can't figure out whats real, well... I got nothin' more to say...except, always jack on (not off) solid lift points, like frame or axle, & ALWAYS use jack stands.

Also, if you have jackstands under the frame, you can move the axle up and/or down with the floor jack to facilitate (nice wurd eh?) alignment of lower shock mounts.
    Last edited by Ldub : 03/02/2008 at 12:19 AM

The gas tank method was quick and simple.

Zip ties were used when you install longer shocks.

Since I have the hitch mount, I suppose I could use that as a lift point when I get around to lifting?

Bart

i used tone's hitch to lift my vx off of a rock in a pinch.. but he rates the tounge weight at 500 lbs.. i dunno seems risky... why not just lift by the differential and put jack stands back there, if the wheels are off like they need to be to get to the springs you shouldnt have a problem

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

I kept my wheels on. Just get underneath pull them out and put the new ones in.

Lifting by the diff will keep the springs compressed making them really really really really really difficult to remove.
    However, you could lift it at the diff, place jackstands under the frame rails and then lower the jack to drop the diff to full droop (after removing the shock bolt). Then the the springs will drop right out!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    Lifting by the diff will keep the springs compressed making them really really really really really difficult to remove.
    However, you could lift it at the diff, place jackstands under the frame rails and then lower the jack to drop the diff to full droop (after removing the shock bolt). Then the the springs will drop right out!

yah! thats what i meant.. just forgot to add in the part about lowering the jack after placing the jackstands