Thread: Now this rocks!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    I dunno...somehow, in my mind, hybrid & rocks don't belong in the same scentence.

Talking

No complaints Bart, just teasing a bit. The Jetta certainly isn't a head-turner but it isn't repulsive either, and what I like most is the interior and layout. It is a fun car to drive, absolutely no torque-steer and gobs of GO. If it weren't for the traction control I'd be on my third set of front tires by now! After monkeying with the Mercedes diesels the decision with this car was simply to get something new for me to use as a daily driver for my job as I travel to 36 different locations, whereas my wife takes the VX about 12 miles each day.

As has been put forth time and time again here in the forums, being a VX owner really makes apparent how cookie-cutter the majority of vehicles are. When I usually find a new model visually interesting it's not more than a few weeks before I see one at every intersection. Here in central Florida you can't drive more than half a mile without seeing an FJ for example!

In any case, just thought to share the info as it's technically interesting and could open the door for more efficient designs and further movement away from gasoline.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Wink

I'm pretty much not sold on the gas-hybrid avenue as far as out right buying one. I think that they might be better for someone to lease (2-3 years) when taking the battery replacement costs down the road into consideration.

I keep thinking I might go the VW Jetta TDI diesel route as I know a friend with the pre-TDI diesel in a bug that gets like 50+ miles per gallon to work. Plus, I love my Kubota GR2100 diesel AWD tractor...

My only concern here though is the high cost of diesel...especially during the home heating season as it seems like demand is intertwined with home heating oil & therefore both go up alot during the winter months.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger VX'er View Post
    I'm pretty much not sold on the gas-hybrid avenue as far as out right buying one. I think that they might be better for someone to lease (2-3 years) when taking the battery replacement costs down the road into consideration.

I keep thinking I might go the VW Jetta TDI diesel route as I know a friend with the pre-TDI diesel in a bug that gets like 50+ miles per gallon to work. Plus, I love my Kubota GR2100 diesel AWD tractor...

My only concern here though is the high cost of diesel...especially during the home heating season as it seems like demand is intertwined with home heating oil & therefore both go up alot during the winter months.
    I once bought 50 gallons of diesel to heat a house that'd run out of oil in the winter, on the weekend. Pretty much the same stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    I once bought 50 gallons of diesel to heat a house that'd run out of oil in the winter, on the weekend. Pretty much the same stuff.

They are both #2 diesel

home oil is less, no road tax figured in.

With the problems of in-ground tanks leaking, if you heat your home with oil,
    you could easily add a valve to a tank near your garage and buy tax free bulk rate diesel for your VW. farmers do it all the time for their tractors.

A good fuel additive for moisture is helpful, about 2 oz. per tank.
    Sometimes I Wonder......
    Why Is That Frizbee Getting Bigger?
    Then It Hits Me

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldoggie View Post
    They are both #2 diesel

home oil is less, no road tax figured in.

With the problems of in-ground tanks leaking, if you heat your home with oil,
    you could easily add a valve to a tank near your garage and buy tax free bulk rate diesel for your VW. farmers do it all the time for their tractors.

A good fuel additive for moisture is helpful, about 2 oz. per tank.
    Sure, I can siphon off the reefer fuel...same deal. Do not get caught with the wrong colour fuel in your tank! Problem for class 8 guys more than commuters, but really expensive if you get caught.

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    Sure, I can siphon off the reefer fuel...same deal. Do not get caught with the wrong colour fuel in your tank! Problem for class 8 guys more than commuters, but really expensive if you get caught.

I said a person "could".
    I would never tell anyone to avoid taxes, or break the law

The farmers have to sign waivers, that state they will not use on public roadways.

I used to deliver the stuff, and we used to fill our trucks fuel tanks directly from the delivery tank hose.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger VX'er View Post
    My only concern here though is the high cost of diesel.
    I get that comment a lot. My standard response now is "what's the difference between diesel and regular gas price, and would you pay that much more per gallon to make your current vehicle go 54 MPG?". Then I watch the lightbulb go on over their head when it all comes together.