Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Now this rocks!

Thumbs up Now this rocks!

While I'm not a particular fan of hybrids (too "stop gap" in my opinion) this is a way better angle considering diesel's greater fuel efficiency (75% vs. 25% for gas) and the ability to run biodiesel completely negates the use of any petroleum-based fuels:

Coming Soon from VW: A 69.9 MPG Diesel Hybrid
    By Chuck Squatriglia February 28, 2008 | 10:04:10 AMCategories: Diesel, Geneva Motor Show, Hybrids

It's official - Volkswagen is unveiling a hybrid to challenge the mighty Toyota Prius. And not just any hybrid, but a diesel-electric hybrid it says will deliver 69.9 mpg.

VW's been experimenting with hybrids of the gasoline-electric variety since the early 1990s, but the Golf hybrid it will unveil next month at the Geneva Motor Show is the first production model the German company's rolled out. Volkswagen isn't offering much in the way of details, but the car is expected to have a parallel hybrid drivetrain with a 2.0 liter engine. Look for it to have an all-electric mode at low speed, start-stop capability, regenerative braking and a 7-speed DSG double-clutch transmission, according to Auto Express and AutoBlog Green.

What's all the techno-jargon mean? The Golf Hybrid will get almost 70 mph while meeting Europe's stringent Euro V and America's Tier 2 Bin 5 emissions standards, making it green enough even for California. The car is said to emit just 89 g/km of CO2. (For comparison, the Prius emits 104 g/km and Honda Civic Hybrid emits 116.)

The hybrid Golf may be just the start.

According to Britain's Channel 4, VW is considering the hybrid drivetrain in a Jetta and Audi A3. DailyTech says it also could appear in the VW Tiguan and Audi Q5 crossover utility vehicles.

Auto Express says the Golf hybrid will be offered for sale in Europe by the end of next year. No word yet on when we might see it on this side of the pond.
    What's especially interesting from a historical perspective is that Ferdinand Porsche, the founder of Volkswagen, created the first hybrid car in 1901!

Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Sounds cool, but I am sure it will be fugly. I don't care for any of the current or recent VW designs....but with that many MPG, the look is negligible...

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Sounds cool, but I am sure it will be fugly. I don't care for any of the current or recent VW designs....but with that many MPG, the look is negligible...

Bart

BITE YOUR TONGUE.... lol. actually doesnt look that bad. i saw it on yahoo and looke dlike a golf but things can change. Best looking Hybrid car is the Civic. Looks just like one. Friend of mine has one. Course now Lexus has its hand in the pot as well comming out with a few hybrids.
    "It's not sexual harassment, I am just building up your tolerence"-Dumke

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    VW is up here right now doing cold weather testing of its new designs.
    I've seen some funky vehicles running around town -the badges are off of the trunks, but they are unmistakably VW cars.

I've been keeping my camera in the truck in case I see anything really unusual.

Hey,
    Up here in Mammoth we get manufacturers testing cloaked and debadged vehicles all the time. Guess it would not be a bad idea to keep a camera in the Dragon....
    James
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have a Sith sense....I see Darth people...

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post

Bart
    My "fugly" '06 Jetta TDI has kinda grown on me, especially the 54MPG part.

I'm sorry, I just haven't seen anything new these days that peaks my interest visually. Most new vehicles (save for the ultra-expensive exotics) are just so boring looking. I mean, there are "nice" looking cars and trucks out there, but there are basically no new vehicles that I think look cool or different. I can honestly say, that best looking vehicle I have seen in the last 10 years is indeed the VehiCROSS. There just aren't a lot of cool looking cars in an affordable price range. Nothing Mercedes, BMW, VW, Lexus, Toyota, Honda, etc has made even slightly excites me. To me, its outward appearance first, then whats under the hood. People always rave over the Mercedes and BMWs, and I am sure they are extra nice, perform well, etc, etc, but I just think they are ALL so damn ugly. But I have a very extreme opinion about what looks cool. I think there are some vehicles that you can MAKE look cool, but as far as stock vehicles, they all suck pretty hard to me.

Bart

I read up on this car now....what is the suggested asking price?

Bart - I like the Infinity fx45 - i have been told the same designer of the vx worked on it too as well as the 350z

Bart I was mearly playing. Hey we are all intiled to our own opinion but shouldnt you keep it to yourself??

..... Again Kidding.

ya the old boxy lookin dubs I dont like so much 2bh. I did like the jetta before the new body style came out. Course that is body style I had. Like joe said tho new one has grown on me.

But yes you are correct VX looks the best and that is why I own one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumke View Post
    Bart I was mearly playing. Hey we are all intiled to our own opinion but shouldnt you keep it to yourself??

..... Again Kidding.

ya the old boxy lookin dubs I dont like so much 2bh. I did like the jetta before the new body style came out. Course that is body style I had. Like joe said tho new one has grown on me.

But yes you are correct VX looks the best and that is why I own one.
    Oh I know, sorry if I sounded to serious...

Bart

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    I dunno...somehow, in my mind, hybrid & rocks don't belong in the same scentence.

Talking

No complaints Bart, just teasing a bit. The Jetta certainly isn't a head-turner but it isn't repulsive either, and what I like most is the interior and layout. It is a fun car to drive, absolutely no torque-steer and gobs of GO. If it weren't for the traction control I'd be on my third set of front tires by now! After monkeying with the Mercedes diesels the decision with this car was simply to get something new for me to use as a daily driver for my job as I travel to 36 different locations, whereas my wife takes the VX about 12 miles each day.

As has been put forth time and time again here in the forums, being a VX owner really makes apparent how cookie-cutter the majority of vehicles are. When I usually find a new model visually interesting it's not more than a few weeks before I see one at every intersection. Here in central Florida you can't drive more than half a mile without seeing an FJ for example!

In any case, just thought to share the info as it's technically interesting and could open the door for more efficient designs and further movement away from gasoline.

Wink

I'm pretty much not sold on the gas-hybrid avenue as far as out right buying one. I think that they might be better for someone to lease (2-3 years) when taking the battery replacement costs down the road into consideration.

I keep thinking I might go the VW Jetta TDI diesel route as I know a friend with the pre-TDI diesel in a bug that gets like 50+ miles per gallon to work. Plus, I love my Kubota GR2100 diesel AWD tractor...

My only concern here though is the high cost of diesel...especially during the home heating season as it seems like demand is intertwined with home heating oil & therefore both go up alot during the winter months.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger VX'er View Post
    I'm pretty much not sold on the gas-hybrid avenue as far as out right buying one. I think that they might be better for someone to lease (2-3 years) when taking the battery replacement costs down the road into consideration.

I keep thinking I might go the VW Jetta TDI diesel route as I know a friend with the pre-TDI diesel in a bug that gets like 50+ miles per gallon to work. Plus, I love my Kubota GR2100 diesel AWD tractor...

My only concern here though is the high cost of diesel...especially during the home heating season as it seems like demand is intertwined with home heating oil & therefore both go up alot during the winter months.
    I once bought 50 gallons of diesel to heat a house that'd run out of oil in the winter, on the weekend. Pretty much the same stuff.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger VX'er View Post
    My only concern here though is the high cost of diesel.
    I get that comment a lot. My standard response now is "what's the difference between diesel and regular gas price, and would you pay that much more per gallon to make your current vehicle go 54 MPG?". Then I watch the lightbulb go on over their head when it all comes together.