Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Land Rover LRX Concept

It has now been officially announced as the Range Rover Evoque.

On the plus side - 2-doors!!! On the minus side - Posh Spice is their big promotional celebrity which suggest off-roading isn't high on the list expected uses. Maybe it will sell like crap and be available for a huge discount...

should be a fun UAV... Urban Assault Vehicle (which btw is what my wife and I affectionately call our VX since we don't off-road it)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The front end looks a LOT like the '11 Ford Explorer!

Rover...

Explorer...
    Last edited by Triathlete : 08/01/2010 at 10:58 AM
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    The front end looks a LOT like the '11 Ford Explorer!
    +1 - And that's not a bad thing at all...

I said this back in May, post #15

Take a look at this, being described as a potential competitor to the Land Rover Evoque. It's a concept called the Mini Countryman Coupe:

http://www.bmwblog.com/2010/09/03/ru...nched-in-2013/

Its like the clown-car version of the land rover.

I wonder if Mini will ever outgrow that perception...

Its inherent in the style of the car. Make something more angular with sharper edges and low-slung and it wouldn't be an issue, but a small car with the sacrifices necessary to achieve that kind of style might not be very drivable either.

I'm guessing these are unibody AWD vehicles? It seems like a better looking Subaru, but no serious wheeling?
    '01 Kaiser SC'ed VX #0867

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Biko View Post
    Its inherent in the style of the car. Make something more angular with sharper edges and low-slung and it wouldn't be an issue, but a small car with the sacrifices necessary to achieve that kind of style might not be very drivable either.
    Don't know if you've driven a Mini, but they are a blast to drive. With the wheels pushed out to the corners you feel like you're driving a go-cart, and the clutch travel in the 6-speed is so short it's like pushing a button. This is definitely not your dad's Mini. Interestingly the reviews say that the new Countryman actually sacrifices some of that sporty performance to add room.

Quote Originally Posted by RallyDude View Post
    I'm guessing these are unibody AWD vehicles? It seems like a better looking Subaru, but no serious wheeling?
    Yep, no serious offroading here, especially with how low it will likely be to the ground. Not sure how the LRX would compare in terms of ride height and offroad capability.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Don't know if you've driven a Mini, but they are a blast to drive. With the wheels pushed out to the corners you feel like you're driving a go-cart, and the clutch travel in the 6-speed is so short it's like pushing a button. This is definitely not your dad's Mini. Interestingly the reviews say that the new Countryman actually sacrifices some of that sporty performance to add room.
    That's my point - if they were to make the mini stylish enough to lose the clown-car looks, they might well have to sacrifice drivability in the process.

Thumbs up

We can't wait till next October 2011 to get it at our dealership. The hype is good and will see it at the LA Auto Show next month. I saw the LRX concept car in New York a few years ago and they did a good job in keeping with the conceptual design.
    Larry S.
    99 Astral Silver VX (176k)
    91 Porsche 928 S4 (73k)

It was my understanding that the Evoque was NOT an off-road vehicle and that the base version was in fact 2 wheel drive. I know it's about the same size as a Mini. ****I like it. I think it's a handsome vehicle.....(but likely a hunk o not very reliable crap) Land Rover is nothing if not consistant

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Biko View Post
    It has now been officially announced as the Range Rover Evoque.
    The new 2011 Land Rover - Evoque. I like it. It's a true Coupe with 2-doors and very cool crisp clean lines, although many other brands of current vehicles share simular body lines (except they are all 4-door vehicles). According to the LR website, it's available in both 2WD & 4WD versions, but I wouldn't say it is off-road worthy. It would make a superior "Snow Vehicle" for a very rich couple (hence, 2-doors) to travel up to the Mountains for some snow-skiing in prestine in-your-face style. True off-road capable it is not, and it should remain in the urban-only environment. BTW; once the rich couple decides to have kids, they will part with it just like the VX and opt for a 4-door family type vehicle.

Price has not officially been announced, but based upon other LR's, I would speculate it will easily be $40+ K and may even approach $50K based upon various options. We'll have to wait and see. The LR - Evoque, is currently being displayed as we speak at the "Paris Motor Show", October 02 -- 17, 2010.

Is it worth a speculated $40+K with only a small turbocharged 2.0L and only worthy of being an inclement weather "snow vehicle" (at best)??? I would say, NO. In the meantime, I'll just stick with my off-road worthy Proton VX, and keep my fingers crossed for the Hummer H4/HX or perhaps the retro Ford Bronco (if either are ever built).

What would I do if I had an extra $40K sittin' around to blow on a car??? That's easy-- I'd buy a slightly used 2006 Corvette Z-06 in Velocity Yellow with 505HP and never look back!!!