Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Lowering Springs/shocks

mrtew, funny how it looks like a Volvo when lowered like that, heh. I thought that when i used your image to see what it would look like in Ebony.

I will admit, if I had 2 VX's, I might be tempted to take the torch to one and make her a street glider. What a Sunday driving vehicle that would be, heh.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Originally posted by hchen
    First off, Tim youre annoying as hell. i think it's about time when you quit it with your "wise" comments and start acting your age. if you have nothing constructive to say just keep your mouth shut 'cause frankly, im gettin sick of coming across them 'cause it seems like you have no life and most of your day revolves around following my posts and trying to rag on what i say.
    Dude, what happened? You were doing so well the first sentence.
    You had good capitalization, good punctuation, and good grammar.
    Then, it all went down hill. Well, it was a nice try. Keep at it.
    Just look at how most of the other people write on here and if you
    try really really hard, you may someday learn how to write intelligible
    posts that won't leave people wondering what you are trying to say.

I mean come on, you mispelled one of your made up words.

yea you talking about intelligent to someone who's holding a 3.8 GPA at his university. real good stuff kid. now take your trashtalking act elsewhere 'cause i think it's gettin old, like you. so please, just fade away. i choose to type this way and i will continue doing so 'cause i'd rather not bother with correctin my mistakes or typing properly unless youre gonna give me a grade on my transcript so take your wiseass remarks and shove it son.

Thats great and all that you all want to have a fight, but do it through email would ya. I dont wanna hear it, neither does anyone else who came to this thread looking for lowering information. Thanks.

hchen, have you lowered the front end at all on your VX? I dropped the torque down about 1" and, I wouldnt say it got "better" handling, but it did get a lot tighter. That in turn just caused a lot of bounce in the suspension. I am sure this could be remedied with softer shock or such in the front. Wishing I had the time and money to find all of this out right now.

damn- yall be sprayin at each other like you don't like each other. get overr it hchen...lowering the vx; from what tone wrote a while back it would be tough cause the clearance between the axle and chassis is tight- take a gander in the rear and you will see. The rubber stops are pretty close.... I was thinking if you do it right rock an air bag package...you know, I'm in this venice beach steez, -throw a 3 wheel motion, thats what im sayin'- Another thing too when you throw your dueces on there its gonna tighten your vx even more, no shoulder on the tires, turn in will be much tighter. let us know the word when you do it...you should check out dyanni's vx- he rollin 20's and it looks tough
    peace
    face the mirror

nah i havent dropped the front end yet. dont plan on doing so 'cause it will make the handling worse than before with the lopsidedness. i kno they lower it in japan...i've seen a few done. just cant seem to find the right peopel to talk to. the drop wouldnt be much.

yea rolling on 20's or 22's would be nice....just that im lacking right now with the funds. hahaha.

Cool i missed a few good convo's

Anyhow in my case im not to into the low profile on 20" + size rims, so i would get a bigger tire or the biggest tire possible. Which (correct me if im mistaken) would fill a good amount of the gap. say 45-55 series type tire? I dont know, i think ima take a trip to our local rent a rim shop and let them throw some ideas around....x

Originally posted by WormGod
    Thats great and all that you all want to have a fight, but do it through email would ya. I dont wanna hear it, neither does anyone else who came to this thread looking for lowering information. Thanks.
    Sorry, can't do that. I'm trying to help this gentleman and any others like him out.

Originally posted by hchen
    yea you talking about intelligent to someone who's holding a 3.8 GPA at his university. real good stuff kid. now take your trashtalking act elsewhere 'cause i think it's gettin old, like you. so please, just fade away. i choose to type this way and i will continue doing so 'cause i'd rather not bother with correctin my mistakes or typing properly unless youre gonna give me a grade on my transcript so take your wiseass remarks and shove it son.
    I don't doubt you have a 3.8 GPA. But I would have never known unless you told me because frankly, you post like you are using AOL Instant Messenger. The way you communicate is fine for IMs, because IMs are realtime communication and it is more important to get the information out quickly than it is to get it out precisely.

This forum, on the other hand, is not a real time conversation (usually). It is intended to be a repository for information about the VehiCROSS. When someone who doesn't speak ebonics (or whatever the heck it is you speak) comes here and tries to get information about a particular question that you have asked/answered, the way you write makes it difficult to figure out what you are trying to say. I'm not talking about native English speakers here. Realistically, I can understand everything you have posted (with one exception), but it takes longer to read one of your posts than it does to read one that is written correctly. I'm talking about people (from Japan or Russia maybe) who, while they may be able to speak, read, and write English, they have no hope of understanding your region specific slang.

Also, capitalization and punctuation are very important in making what you have to say clear to the reader. They make it easier to tell at a glance where sentences start and end. It doesn't take that long to post an easy to read message, and it makes it so much easier on your readers. I can't fathom why anyone would be so inconsiderate as to post like you do.

But hey, if you really want to come across as an imbecile, more power to you. I'm sure people will eventually stumble across this thread and find out that you are a really smart guy with a 3.8 GPA (because everyone comes here to figure out how to LOWER The VX). But until they do, most of your readers are going to automatically put you in the same category as IRONBOY79. Anyway, I'm done with this conversation. You're too hard headed to recognize good advice when you see it. Best of luck to you.

The "springworks" you are talking about is Valley Spring Works. You can find contact info on their little (crappy, IMO) page at...

http://www.valleyspr.qpg.com/

Basically, all the have to know is the specs on the stock springs... which they do since they can do lifting springs. I looked EVERYWHERE for a set of lowering springs for the back of my best friends '99 Amigo but had no luck... I called them and they said they could do it. The cost for two rear springs to whatever degree of lower/lift was $200. That's what you usually pay for a quality set of four lowering springs for a car that has coils at all four corners... then again, they have to do a custom run. Maybe all of you guys who want to lower could agree on a 2" lowering spring (or whatever) and then contact Valley Spring Works and maybe get a group purchase going.

Hope that helped. Oh, and about the bickering... whats the big deal. Yeah, we are all adults and maybe sometime there is bitching and all amongst us, but if your REALLY mature, you can read right past it. I know I got jumped a couple times when I first came to this board, but its all good now. Think of it as initiation!

Anyways... TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!

Yike, lotta hatin' goin' on in this post! Anyway, thought I'd chime in with some info on the lowering. If you have no intention of going off-road, then look into fitting the front suspension and tranny from a '01 2WD Trooper. You lose the transfer case and all the weight associated with it and the front axle. Plus you can ditch the meager skid plates. Additionally, you pick up some space in the center console where the low-range shifter was. Stick some real cup-holders or something in there. You can also then use the space under the passenger seat where the TOD computer was for audio components or similar. In addition to being a bit quicker on dry pavement you'll be able to actually spin the rear tires since you'll only have 2WD. Plus an extra MPG or three from less driveline drag. Then you can lower away!

You should be able to find all the components you need at a decent salvage yard as soccer moms are killing 2WD Troopers all the time. Plus you should be able to recoup your expenses somewhat by selling your leftover TOD and 4WD components here to people who actually use 'em.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

joe black and coach reed.

thanks for that useful info. i use my 4wd when it snows...really really fun. haha. just never have time or the courage to do some real offroading things like i've seen in those pictures even tho i weave in and out of traffic doing over a buck regularly. i just dun wanna get my VX all scratched up ....but yah

anyways, joe your idea sounds really good but i would want the 4wd and all. but i'll keep it in mind later on 'cause doing burnouts sounds fun too =P

coach, thanks for the info i'll check 'em out.
    How you gonna stop me im ill-literati/ im like an ill-mariachi wit an automatic shotty/ like tony montana to yo body/ now you really dont wanna come and test me/ i spit verbal fusilades im headin crusades/ to weed out all the fakes like it was da salem witch trials/ yo @ss betta run or else you gettin baked at the stake/ and that'll put a smile on mah face/

Would you also replace the shocks

Would there be any benefit to replacing the shocks when lowering the VX? I am afraid that lowering the VX may create a really bumpy ride. Would anyone recommend spending the extra money to purchase a new set of factory shocks or Rancho RS9000X when putting the lowering springs on? My '99 VX has about 40k miles with original shocks. You could probably guess that I do not do any off-roading, but does anyone think that the Rancho's offer a smoother street ride vs. a new set of factory shocks?
    Last edited by grober02 : 07/03/2003 at 12:41 PM

Re: Would you also replace the shocks

Originally posted by grober02
    does anyone think that the Rancho's offer a smoother street ride vs. a new set of factory shocks?
    DEFINATELY, the stock shocks are stiff and with the Rancho's you can adjust 1-9, if 9 is the highest setting I will guess our stock shocks would be set at 7. This is speculation, I have never owned Rancho 9000's but from what I have been lead to understand is this right.

i was always told not to get aftermarket shocks for the VX because the OEM shocks are the best for it. but if what you say holds true about the rancho...i might consider getting a set and setting it at 9...stiffer ride wooooot!

I have the Ranchos, set at 8, and on the street, the ride is very similar to stock. I haven't really taken my VX offroad since I installed the new shocks, but supposedly that's where the stock shocks should really perform well.