Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Lowering Springs/shocks

ATTN.... All who want to lower the VX.......

YOU CAN LOWER THE VX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2-3" lower is ALOT easier than everyone is making it sound....

The "bounce" that some of you have felt, when lowering, is the A-arms bottoming out on the bumpstops.

In the front, all you have to do is remove the bump-stops and trim them with a saw or grinder (I did this on mine to increase the wheel-travel) and turn DOWN the torsien bars a bit...
    Also another slick trick is to do a Ball-joint mount flip ON THE LOWER A-ARM, this will allow more up-travel while still using your stock bumpstops and shocks.
    To drop it even further than 2" the torsen-bars will need to be re-indexed.

In the rear, the VX has a rather large bump-stop that can be trimmed also, or removed altogether and replaced with a lower profile one (Ive tried both)
    Shorter springs can be had at a reasonable cost.
    To drop more than 2" in the rear, there is a square-tube piece right above the rear bump-stop that could easily be notched out (w/o sacrificing frame strength), and on the rear axle the "bump-stop pad" on the top side of the axle could be trimmed off for additional clearance.

I have a lot of experiance with the Vehicross' suspension as I have had several different lift kits and shocks on it and ran at several different ride heights, and am always playing with the suspension to achieve maximum articulation.
    Also, I am the guy that drove to Calmini Manufacturing to get them to make/install the prototype lift kit they now offer for the VX. (They also offer lowering springs for some other trucks and may be able to help source a good set for the VX)

No, the shocks don't bottom out...it seems Isuzu had the forthought to allow the shocks to travel farther in each direction than the stock suspension components do.

Anyone seriosly interested in "dropping" the VX is more than welcome to e-mail me with questions.....

Allan
    VX on 36"ers 4" lift

How about Rodeo shocks?

Given the fact that I have OME912s on my 2000 Amigo... which gives me 3.5 inches of lift, and would give a Trooper 2 inches of lift.

so thinking backwards...
    I think that the factory Trooper coils give a stock Amigo a minor lift, so could simply replacing the VX springs with Rodeo or Amigo springs actually lower the rear? Depending on the amount of load, there may be some negative effects - but seems much simpler than custom fabbing something. It seems like that would lower the rear somewhat.

any thoughts?

(plus, those springs would be easy to get from junk yards!!!)

Cool deal BigMeat! If I finally decide to try this out, I will DEFINATELY give you a hollar. Thanks much!
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Originally posted by TimG
    I mean come on, you mispelled one of your made up words.
    I know this post was made one year ago, but I always like to pick on people for misspelling the word "misspelled" (or derivations thereof). I mean, if you're going to insult the another's ability to spell, be sure to double-check your own before hitting "Submit" !!!
    Steve

Originally posted by transio
    I mean, if you're going to insult the another's ability to spell, be sure to double-check your own before hitting "Submit" !!!
    Not sure why you decided to attack someone you don't even know, but you might want to check your grammar before YOU hit submit.

why r we bringin back dead threads?
    ________
    Laguna Heights Condos Pattaya
    Last edited by MZ-N10 : 09/05/2011 at 03:23 PM

Originally posted by Jay Dunford
    Not sure why you decided to attack someone you don't even know
    Attack is kind of a strong word. I was just browsing through the thread and saw this common blunder and felt compelled to pick on the guy, all in good fun. Don't be so serious, man!
    Last edited by transio : 06/08/2004 at 08:25 PM

Originally posted by MZ-N10
    why r we bringin back dead threads?
    That reminds me. Anyone who's successfully lowered their VX 1 - 2" have any suggestions for new springs on the back? I'm looking for something a little stiffer than stock. Thanks!

Still no takers on doing this yet. I have seen a lowered VX in VA, and it was pretty fugly. Mostly because the wheels and tires did not go well with the drop. Looked like he got them off the first gen dropped cars in the early 90's, when it was cool to have wheels and tires sticking out 4" from the wells, and the wheel is actually wider than the tire.

It COULD look ok.... with the right wheel and tire package. I recommend tubbing it out and losing the TOD.

Ah, no one else has done it yet? Well you've got a taker. No ifs, ands, or buts. I will lower my VX 1.5 - 2" but I need people's help in getting information.

Here's the setup I'm looking to install:
    • F/R Wheels: 18 x 10 A/R Mojave Beadlocks or M/T 18 x 9.5 Classic Locks (Offset: ??mm)
    • F/R Tires: 285-60 r18 Nitto TerraGrapplers
    • Frnt Shocks: Not sure. Stock travel is 10.24" - 15.35", so something ~9" - ~14"
    • Rear Shocks: Not sure. Stock travel is 12.56" - 19.25", so something ~11" - ~18"
    • Frnt Springs: Not sure. Either will stay stock w/ torsion bars, or get new torsion bars, or maybe switch to coil-overs?
    • Rear Springs: Custom. I will call Valley Spring Works this week.
    • Other: Not sure. Advice is appreciated.

I think I'll do this in the following order:
    1. Figure out what the heck I need and order the suspension components.
    2. Trim or grind the bumpstops using BigMeat's method. This shouldn't affect anything in the current suspension setup, and could be done in a couple hours, hopefully.
    3. Install new shocks and springs in back, and install new shocks and tighten (or replace) torsion bars up front. Remount ball-joint if necessary. This could probably be accomplished in a day.
    4. Down the road, figure out what wheels / tires I can fit and order and install new wheels and tires. I decided to get new wheels, too, because my stockers are peeling on the inside, and it will be a hassle to have my car on blocks for a week while I have the wheels getting refinished. Anyhow, that's a different thread.
    5. Make other tweaks to the suspension for add'l rigidity as necessary.

Ok, so that's what I've got so far. I will be the first to admit that my knowledge is a bit limited. I've done some of these tasks individually, but never all at once. That's why I want to break it up into phases as much as possible. If anyone can offer ANY advice, I'd greatly appreciate it!
    Last edited by transio : 06/09/2004 at 10:23 AM

I don't know if it's been said, or not, and I can't be bothered sifting through all of the crap on this thread, but in lowering the front end, you might consider finding a pair of 2WD Trooper torsion bars. They are softer than the 4WD ones, and if you were to crank them down, they'd be tamer on the stiffness.

Also, you could replace your front shocks with Gabriel HiJackers, as they are air-adjustable. If you ran 'em at around 85psi, it'd be nice and soft.

I second the Valley Spring Works post made earlier. Just tell them what springs you have, and tell them how much shorter you want them to be.

The nice thing about TOD is that it'll matter less that it's lowered than it would on a traditional t-case.

Or, just disconnect your front driveshaft altogether. It'd net you some more economy and acceleration, especially if you don't use 4WD very often, if ever. It would effectively be a 2WD then, of course, but if you're using it as a pavement pounder anyway, it doesn't really matter. Another gain is that you probably wouldn't go through front tires as quickly, either. I dunno. Maybe it wouldn't make a difference unless you got manual hubs. It's hard to say.

You could always reconnect it if you go to sell it.
    Eric Schoenleber
    '98 Isuzu Trooper S
    '00 Honda Rancher S

Some people are like Slinkies . . .
    not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Eric,

Thanks for the advice. I'm determined not to use "junkyard parts" for this project, though. I also don't want soft. I'll call Valley and see what they suggest.

I dropped my VX back in 2003

Back in 2003 I lowered the front end using the torsion bar and yes, I CUT the rear springs (Bought an extra set just in case) My VX looks sweet lowered down 2" on my 20'' Enkei's and I corner better. However, my ride is harsh. Luckily, my *** can take it :-)
    - To Err Is Human, To GET SOME is Divine -

Lowering your vehicle is illegal in 48 states you know.
    2000 Black VX 105k

Quote Originally Posted by Maugan_VX
    Lowering your vehicle is illegal in 48 states you know.
    What about lifting it?