Thread: General Axiom Questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

General Axiom Questions

Yes, I realize we are a VX family, but I figured some of you have either owned or are muc more familiar with Axioms than I, so here goes.
    Toying with the idea of being interested in an '04 Axiom as typical Isuzu they depreciate pretty quick, the '04 had the best motor and I dig its look.
    So, was it rare to find these with leather? I think every one I've seen listed has cloth seats. Did they not offer leather in USA?
    If ya'll could give me some input about them as well I would appreciate it. I figure it's faster than my VX, likely has a slighter better ride, appears to get better gas mileage, carry more stuff. Really, other than looks and handling/braking, I think it has a lot over the VX. No, this isn't heresy (?), the VX isn't going anywhere. I just think the Axiom sounds pretty appealing. Any input would be appreciated.

I've ridden in a few and shopped for one with a friend - also former VX owner Mike Pate sold his proton and bought an Axiom. In general it's a little quicker - I think he bought the direct injected version. I think it's more of a street driver from what I recall (not as much ground clearance - but I could be wrong about that - it definitely doesn't have the approach angles but you may not care if you don't go off-road). I believe there was a leather package on at least the earlier models, but the first two years had unusual color combinations for the interiors - sort of an orangy tan and a parchment white that both struck me as odd/ugly. One thing to note is that when you adjust the front seats there isn't much leg room in the back. They were designed as an eventual replacement for the Rodeo and are on the narrow side, especially if you've ever ridden in a trooper. In general not a bad truck - it also gets slightly better gas mileage.

Personally, I think I would find something that gets better mileage but still does what you want it to do - Joe Black's TDI is awesome at over 50 MPG (Diesel) and is certainly appealing to me. Once you drive in a VX it's tough to feel comfortable in something else - the Cayenne/Taureg has similar characteristics to the VX as far as handling and response, plus the drive height is about the same. All the other SUVs I've tried have pretty much been dogs. I was excited by the FJCruiser, being a former FJ40 owner, but it fails on many levels - sort of a soft-riding VX that handles like a boat. If they shortened up the wheelbase and put a super/turbo charged motor in it I would be enticed to own one again. JMHO.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Leather comes in the S and XS packages. Stick with 2004 for the direct injection.

I am in your dame boat. The woman wants an SUV so I am trying to stick her in an Axiom.

Overall they are good.
    Search Morgan-Tech Axiom on I think cardomain. I think Joe Black has one or had one. Just do a little more research.

Ya know, as much as I like the Axiom (always have), I couldn't justify buying ANY ISUZU now. Fair enough that I have the VX, but ISUZU was still a sign that was seen on dealerships at the time. Now though.... well, I guess it's just a matter of personal interest.

But hey, you find an Axiom that works for you and you don't mind that ISUZU is now lying beside the mammoth, take a shot.

(I say this now.... I am sure my opinion will change by 4pm today and I will be looking for another Amigo)
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

thanks for the input fellas, yes, I would really only be interested in the '04 due to the direct injection, I've read 7.5 for 0-60 which is pretty good for a heavy SUV,
    I was concerned about the rear leg space though as that was one of the complaints, I put the car seat in the back of the VX just to test it out, I have to adjust the front seat a little more upright, but otherwise it does well, as of now the kids are backward-facing so when they face front that will make a big difference with respect to the room they take up
    One of the few bad things about being tall is that you're limited in what you can drive and you REALLY limit the people sitting behind you!
    Thanks for confirming about the leather, I read that it was an option but I swear everyone I saw for sale had cloth, there's one here locally that's an '04 and silver, I will need to try it on for size but thank goodness it's silver, my A4 is silver and I couldn't have two of the same colour in the house, besides, my wife would have a heart attack even she knew I was even thinking about something esle
    Lastly, no, being an Isuzu doesn't concern me, it's not like when they close up shop here that parts will disappear as well and mechanics will forget how to work on them, as I've said in many previous posts, I used to own two Alfa's and while some of their stuff was really good (engine, brakes, great looks), it's safe to say that I needed more work on them than I will on any Isuzu I get, haha!!

Thumbs up

We had an '04 Axiom XS with leather and the Direct Injection ('04 only) and my wife, who was the primary driver, really liked it. Not as much as her '01 Trooper, but in her words it was "like a Trooper/VX hybrid" to drive. I found it a little cramped after being used to typical Isuzu spaciousness, but not so much I couldn't spend all day in it. It is all Isuzu, so good quality and part availability. The only thing I didn't particularly like about it was the location of the fuel tank which would definitely warrant a decent skid plate for serious off-roading. It was VERY peppy with the extra HP and torque provided with the Direct Injection version of the 3.5L engine, with city mileage for us at about 19MPG and hiway in the mid-twenties. We found ours through CarMax at a S. Carolina dealership and they brought it down to the local Orlando location for a little bit extra. The only reason we sold was our fundamental shift to diesel power.

If you have any specific questions or would like hi-res photos just PM or email.

PS: If you like the Rodeo at all you can find them with the Direct Injection engine as well, just look for '04 models. But if you're looking for something unique, brawny with power and economy then look at some V10 TDI Touaregs. Just watch some Dakar footage before you do so you can see them in the correct frame of mind!
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...