Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: For the burners...

Question For the burners...

OK, a few weeks ago, Ascinder said I should try a different motor oil to see if my burning changes. So I got to thinking about it, and maybe I should try something else. Lately, I have been driving alloverthefreakinplace, back and forth to the new house from the old house from work, etc, etc. It seems that with hwy miles at 65-75 mph, my VX burns about half a quart ever tank, which is terrible.

So, what I want to know, is for those of you who have a definite oil burning problem, what kind of oil are you using? For those of you without any burning problem, what lube are you using in the engine?

Right now I am running Mobile-1 10W40.

Thanks - Bart

I lose about 1/4 qt per 1000 miles or so - it's done so since new, but sometimes uses a little more or less for whatever reason. I use Mobile-1 10W40. I don't think mine is excessive but could be wrong about that - it just makes you more aware of your truck.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

I use conventional oil and burn a quart every 1000 miles or so. City miles
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

I think I am using the Quaker state torque power 10w40 and have not burnt any oil. I changed it the same time we did our tranny's

i burn 1 qt every 3k usually.. i run mobil 1 10w-30

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

2001, Silver, Vehicross, Supercharged, 0492, Sold 3/20/2012
    I have always run Mobil 1 5-30. I see a 1 qt. loss at 1500-2000 mi. I change the PCV valve every other change. I run the oil 3500 mi.
    Roy

Boy, this post did not go where I expected. Mobil1, new PCV each change, and Lucas synth booster in the oil, top cylinder lube in the 93 gas, K&N oil filters. Never used oil between 3000 mi. changes. I drain out what I put in the last thirteen times (I drained all the fluids an' grease and changed them to Mobil1 the day I bought it)It has just over 36,000 on the odo. One of the lucky ones? Or an engine that has been nurtured from birth? You decide

Mobil-1 5W-30 and Mobil-1 filters since the first oil change. I've got 110K+ miles on her now and NEVER burned oil. I've never personally changed the PCV valve. I just hope that the dealership does that when I pay out the yazoo for their periodic checkup.
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

Quote Originally Posted by CrnCnn View Post
    I think I am using the Quaker state torque power 10w40 and have not burnt any oil. I changed it the same time we did our tranny's
    How often do you check it? I notice with mine, that it will be fine, be fine, be fine, and then be gone!

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    How often do you check it? I notice with mine, that it will be fine, be fine, be fine, and then be gone!

Bart
    I check it every time I fill up my gas.

just pulled this from the planetisuzu page.

"From the stuff I've heard on the oil consumption and valve tick issues in 3.2/3.5L isuzu motors, seafoam in the oil clears the gunk out of the lifters so they don't click and clears the oil ports on the oil rings. Clogged oil ports means the oil that needs to run back down into the motor as the piston moves can only go up and past the compression rings, then out the tailpipe. "

Quote Originally Posted by JHarris1385 View Post
    just pulled this from the planetisuzu page.

"From the stuff I've heard on the oil consumption and valve tick issues in 3.2/3.5L isuzu motors, seafoam in the oil clears the gunk out of the lifters so they don't click and clears the oil ports on the oil rings. Clogged oil ports means the oil that needs to run back down into the motor as the piston moves can only go up and past the compression rings, then out the tailpipe. "
    I guess I should try 3 or 4 more Seafoam treatments. I did it once, and nothing really changed.

Bart

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car
    No need for oil between changes - conventional oil. I only use Isuzu PCV's, never aftermarket. Not all PCV's are created equal... IMHO
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

Quote Originally Posted by Anita View Post
    No need for oil between changes - conventional oil. I only use Isuzu PCV's, never aftermarket. Not all PCV's are created equal... IMHO
    Do you just get Isuzu PCVs from the dealer or from Merlin?

Bart

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car
    I get them from the dealership that services the truck. But let me say that I havent had need to change them out every oil change.

The majority of parts I do order from Merlin, but for smaller $$ items I let the dealer make some money. In my situation, the service dept. has been very good to me and my mechanic is top on my list. Though the service dept and the parts dept are under one umbrella, I have no qualms to go elsewhere and get cheaper parts from Merlin. The service dept. doesnt bat an eye when I bring in my own parts.