Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Powder coated wheels

Powder coated wheels

I've been looking at wheels for years now, I just never found anything I liked better that would fit. After a frustrating search for teflons, I've decided to P/C the OEMs...Black, of course. The decision is, satin or flat. The Gatorback coating I got for the cladding is a satin finish and a few shades blacker than the original colour. Flat looks good in a Mad Max sort of way. I think satin with just the quarter inch edge at the bead lip taped off (and left chrome) might be killer. The Isuzu centers will become a VX to match the grill emblem (all five of which may become red, along with the big Isuzu out back) I bought new side emblems (the old ones are disintegrating a bit) but then they'd have to go red (might be a bit much) or go away. Whatcha think all?? You know how much I respect and value your opinions. Chop

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    I've been looking at wheels for years now, I just never found anything I liked better that would fit. After a frustrating search for teflons, I've decided to P/C the OEMs...Black, of course. The decision is, satin or flat. The Gatorback coating I got for the cladding is a satin finish and a few shades blacker than the original colour. Flat looks good in a Mad Max sort of way. I think satin with just the quarter inch edge at the bead lip taped off (and left chrome) might be killer. The Isuzu centers will become a VX to match the grill emblem (all five of which may become red, along with the big Isuzu out back) I bought new side emblems (the old ones are disintegrating a bit) but then they'd have to go red (might be a bit much) or go away. Whatcha think all?? You know how much I respect and value your opinions. Chop
    I'd go satin, flat can be a drag to keep clean...I like the idea of leaving the edge chrome.
    Also, if you use clip on weights on the outer rim,( I know,blasphemy) I'd leave more like 5/8"-3/4" exposed chrome.
    Last edited by Ldub : 04/05/2008 at 06:36 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    I'd go satin, flat can be a drag to keep clean...I like the idea of leaving the edge chrome.
    x2
    for the logos.. i would lose the VehiCROSS logos before I would paint them red..

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

The guys at Nu Metal P/C them a second time in clear. Flat or gloss is the same smooth surface. Yeah, I'm sold on the chrome ring....I see a Black Cayene with gloss black and the chrome ring rolling around here...it's an eye catcher for sure.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    The guys at Nu Metal P/C them a second time in clear. Flat or gloss is the same smooth surface. Yeah, I'm sold on the chrome ring....I see a Black Cayene with gloss black and the chrome ring rolling around here...it's an eye catcher for sure.
    Then it wouldn't matter, but does cause one to ponder...

Is flat black with a smooth clear coat still flat???

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    x2
    for the logos.. i would lose the VehiCROSS logos before I would paint them red..
    They've always bugged me a bit somehow. No one seems to be able to read them anyway:laughr:

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Then it wouldn't matter, but does cause one to ponder...

Is flat black with a smooth clear coat still flat???
    Sure...when we do flat hoods, the "flat" is just a component in the clear. They're still just as smooth. It would last about ten minutes on wheels tho

yea, i started small by taking off the 3.5L.. then i looked at it and remember liking the smoothness of the fender afterwards.. and then everything is a little hazy but i woke up with a bottle of goo gone in one hand, a plastic spatula in the other and my VX was fully debadged!

now i just have CROSS on the front grille and a VehiCROSS visor strip sticker across the back window.. and people still cant seem to read that.. we will be standing 2 feet from it and i say its a vehicross.. they are like whaaat.. i tell them again.. huuuuuh? then i just point lol

i think satin will just generally look nicer on the wheels.. esp since the rest of your VX is always so shiny

Can't lose the big Isuzu...not that I'm waving the Isuzu flag, just that spot looks so weird without it. Take it off, and the rear goes out of balance. Can't think of anything else to replace it, that provides that same equilibrium.

i just took the ISUZU from the back and i think it looks great! i was really doubtfull if i should take it off or leave it i liked it with it but i decided to take it!
    i left my girlfriend to do some job at the zoo here in milwaukee and i was waiting for her in the parking lot and decided to wash it in the meanwhile and take the ISUZU from the back and fter i was done i walked aways and then starte seeing all the people surrounding my car and looking for a name or something, it attracted more people than the lions and snakes together!
    ----------------------
    A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
    Albert Einstein

Yeah I thought it would look blank without the ISUZU on the back gate too but once it was gone I realized that you'd never suspect that anything was supposed to go there if you didn't know. Now when I see it there it looks silly to me, like someone tried to cram huge bling chrome letters into way too small of space. It's just what you're used to. Those puffy, squished, unreadable, italic, cartoon VehiCROSS logos on the sides definitely have to go. I wish someone would make new side and rear logos that we could all proudly display. I'm not ashamed of driving an Isuzu or a VX, I'm just ashamed of whoever designed the badges for it! Anyway, as to the wheels, get them done as soon as possible and post some pictures..... I'd love to see it because my chromes are looking a little old. Maybe I'll just go get a can of Krylon.... that worked fine on my old car.... just had to re-do it ever couple of years.
    Canadian VXer!

The Gatorback coating I got for the cladding is a satin finish and a few shades blacker than the original colour
    So have you sprayed he gatorback on yet? I looked your gallery, but wasn't sure if your vx was gatorbacked or had cladding product on it. I got the gatorback black, just waiting for some warmer weather....I'd love to see how it turned out if you did yours though.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

The badging is gone from the back of mine & no one even noticed. Oh yeah, it's covered by the spare
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascinder View Post
    So have you sprayed he gatorback on yet? I looked your gallery, but wasn't sure if your vx was gatorbacked or had cladding product on it. I got the gatorback black, just waiting for some warmer weather....I'd love to see how it turned out if you did yours though.
    Not yet, That's Maguires #40 you're seeing. I'll do it while the wheels are getting powder coated, and the car is sitting on stands any way. Coupla of weeks. I'll post photos

Yeah, I figured whoever got around to doing it first would have posted something on it, looks like it might be me. Our weather is supposed to get above 70 after thursday.