Thread: Speakers Question

Speakers Question

Hey I am planning on upgrading the front door speakers this weekend, and also damping the doors with cascade. My speakers (cdt hd-62) Have a sizeable crossover system, Where did you guys hide yours? I am going to be putting an amp under the driver's seat so its doubtful there will be any room left down there.
    Last edited by Phantom : 04/09/2008 at 05:51 PM

Hope its a small amp. My CARPC is about the size of a amp and i had to cut a piece of the carpet out to get it to set low enough (kinda). My seat moves but it does drag along the top part of the PC

The amp "shouldn't" be a problem I measured before I bought it and it looks like it'll slide right in there. It is a Zapco 350.2. It isn't very tall at all.

i had my old amp under my drivers seat, had a problem with overheating at first because it was down in the "well" under the seat, so i filled that with a wood plank and that kept the heat from the floorboards down.

you have individual crossovers for each side right? I am still debating placement of mine, my options so far have been inside the door skin, but well above the bottom to avoid any water issues, main reason for that is to avoid running a lot of wires though the door grommets. I think that first i'm going to try mounting them to the bottom of the passenger seat and see how that works to avoid any possible water complications. My main issue with that is interference from the TOD computer with the speaker wires run so close, plus my main power runs down the drivers side door sill so i need to find a way to get the speaker wires to the doors without running them there

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

I have the same power wire problem, I don't [I]think[I] that there will be any interference crossing over into the speaker wires, but I am kicking around an idea to run the power wire for my sub amp up through the a-pillar and going up top with it. I already have all that wiring installed though so I won't be messing with it if there isn't a problem. I have not had the door panels off yet so I guess after I get in there and v-block everything I'll have a better idea of what to do with those crossovers. They are about 4 inches wide by 5 inches long by about 1-1/4 inches tall >.> If I have a eureka moment I'll post up pics of my solution

doors are easy to take off.. yea mine are considerably smaller, my crossovers are about 1"x1"x 5"

did the install on my crossovers today.. couldnt fit em in the doors, also not much room under the dash.. so mine wound up under the seats for now.. maybe ill build a rack for the amp and crossovers for show someday.. but for now i have beautiful sound and nothing exposed.. and thats good enough for me

Did you have to remove the old crossovers from the old tweeters?

yea theres nothing stock about my stereo, i ran new power and ground to the head unit, then RCA cables x 6 out of the head unit to my amp.. from the amp i have 12ga monster cable run to all the speakers/crossovers

when you remove the stock tweeters the crossovers go with them.. ill post pics in a bit

I ended up mounting mine in the doors just above my deflex pad for my speaker.
    After v-blocking the inside of the door, I wrapped the whole crossover in electrical tape, cut out the bottom piece so i could get a good bond, then used epoxy in the middle and gasket sealer all around the edges for a more or less waterproof seal. Then I sprayed some quiet kote (or w/e) over the top of all that after it was all mounted up. Worst part was holding the thing in place till the adhesive took hold.... I let it sit for a day before putting doors back on just to make sure it all was going to stay put. I ended up putting my amp in the trunk next to my sub amp, I was going to have to take BFH to the "hump" to get it to fit and I just ccouldn't bring myself to do it...

I thought the stock tweet just had a small capacitor?

i didnt look all that close, it might just be a cap.. i used something that size and shape to cut out high frequencies to factory speakers that i replaced with 6" bass drivers