Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The clunk thing

FRIKKIN FUNNY STUFF LMFAO

A few weeks ago when I found myself dropping the Power switch off (ya ya, so I drive more light hearted now), my clunk has REALLY decreased. By easing the shifting ranges to a more nominal setting, up and down shifting is nearly clunk-free now. Ya, I still get one occosionally, but for what it's worth, if you don't like the clunk and don't drive spirited (Power ON is hell on heavy wheels with a S/C to get the best out of it), Power OFF may very well help.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

yeh and you deffinatly notice increased milage.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonRaker View Post
    yeh and you deffinatly notice increased milage.
    You aint kiddin'. Looks like I might actually get about 300 miles out of this tank of gas. Thats a far cry from the usual 220-240 I get normally, heh.

Had it out all weekend and not a single clunk. I made it a rule that I would NOT use the Power button at all, and I tell ya.... I REALLY missed it on the highway. Merging on and passing was painful. All I can say is, S/C + Power ON = MUST for full potential. Without Power ON, the weight of that little bastard really reared it's ugly head on that V6 and the S/C felt useless. Note to self....

Nothing to really add that is constructive here. If anything, even more confusing....

So last weekend I replaced my EGR, FPR, MAF, and drop in filter. Still didnt fix my oscillating idling and continued to get related CELs. Well today I am out and about and pop the hood for a tech buddy to take a look. We find that the TPR seems to have a short somewhere in the line, as squeezing on it caused the idle to change and set off the TPR on the ScanGauge. I figure I will rewire that as soon as I get a chance and look for some bad wiring.

Well, no sooner do I leave and WOW.... my clunk is, out of nowhere, PAINFUL. Every gear, up or down, shifts with the force of Zeus and clunks loud enough to hear for blocks. In and out of Power, it didn't matter. Now, there no way that squeezing on the TPR harness caused this, heh. WTF! Seriously, it is bad enough feeling and sounding that once I got her home, she went into the garage and stayed. She is down for the count until this is solved. All fluids were checked and serviced just last year, 3k miles ago so I am REALLY baffled, and concerned.

This just might be the straw that breaks the camel's back. I have run out of patience with this thing. Under 50k miles and nothing but issues and $$$ this past year.

grrrrr. dont sound good
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...

Quote Originally Posted by WormGod View Post
    Nothing to really add that is constructive here. If anything, even more confusing....

So last weekend I replaced my EGR, FPR, MAF, and drop in filter. Still didnt fix my oscillating idling and continued to get related CELs. Well today I am out and about and pop the hood for a tech buddy to take a look. We find that the TPR seems to have a short somewhere in the line, as squeezing on it caused the idle to change and set off the TPR on the ScanGauge. I figure I will rewire that as soon as I get a chance and look for some bad wiring.

Well, no sooner do I leave and WOW.... my clunk is, out of nowhere, PAINFUL. Every gear, up or down, shifts with the force of Zeus and clunks loud enough to hear for blocks. In and out of Power, it didn't matter. Now, there no way that squeezing on the TPR harness caused this, heh. WTF! Seriously, it is bad enough feeling and sounding that once I got her home, she went into the garage and stayed. She is down for the count until this is solved. All fluids were checked and serviced just last year, 3k miles ago so I am REALLY baffled, and concerned.

This just might be the straw that breaks the camel's back. I have run out of patience with this thing. Under 50k miles and nothing but issues and $$$ this past year.
    mode selector switch for the trans?

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    mode selector switch for the trans?
    Ya, I am hoping that is all it is. I didn't even want to look at her yesterday, so I left her in the garage and used my WRX. Last night though, I did muster up some courage to give her attention. I at least got back to work on rewiring all the extensions needed for a S/C (since it now looks like field mice had a field day in my engine bay).

Not a transmission guy, so I am gonna have to do some soul searching on the forums about this !@#$. Seriously, hoping it's something quick and easy because my patience has worn thin enough.

Mode selector

I second that...
    I've replaced 3 of them now (different VXs). Fixed every one. Same symptoms too.
    SilverBullet75
    Formerly: '01 Ebony VXSTLTH
    Now: '08 Saab 9-7x Aero 6.0L

I still have yet to get around to this issue, but sitting here at work I thought I would dig around the web a bit about it.

I see folks have replaced the mode switches, but how about cleaning them? Never actually tore one down so I looked into it. Came up with this....

http://isuzufaq.ibctech.ca/range.pdf

Curious as to whether it was similar, considering it is an ISUZU module, but from a '98 Rodeo. Shouldn't be much different if anything, I wouldn't imagine.

Thought I might give it a tear down and see. Could save me the $150 or so. We'll see.

Anyone know the part# for the mode switch? I don't have any of my software or docs here at work and don't exactly wanna call Merlin from work JUST to get the part#, heh.

Woah... VERY interesting.
    The thing I noted on all the ones I replaced was that the center white plastic "wheel" (for lack of better term) gets very loose... too much play. My first thought was that over time it melted partially from the exhaust heat nearby. Even considered adding header-wrap to the pipe. Didn't even think of reconditioning the unit.