Thread: Mufflers...again

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Mufflers...again

Anyone know of a site that has objective data on mufflers, like weight, noise (decibel reading I guess), claimed HP advantage? I'm more concerned about weight and noise. I'm in the process of replacing my AM muffler with something a little less "aggressive". Just want to see if there's something out there other than subjective ratings from customers b/c your too loud may sound great to me and vice verce.
    Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Isuzu View Post
    Anyone know of a site that has objective data on mufflers, like weight, noise (decibel reading I guess), claimed HP advantage? I'm more concerned about weight and noise. I'm in the process of replacing my AM muffler with something a little less "aggressive". Just want to see if there's something out there other than subjective ratings from customers b/c your too loud may sound great to me and vice verce.
    Thanks!!!
    Forget Hp. and mpg. gains. they will be "academic" gains...nothing you will "feel". Losing the stock muffler will save you twenty pounds, and that will be your biggest gain. Pick the sound you like.

Thanks Chopper. I realize that HP gains of 5-15 would not really be felt/noticed. Sure it won't hurt but I'm not buying a muffler specifically for HP claims. I'm mainly concerned with finding a muffler a little more tame than what I have, but I don't want to get another muffler that's ALSO too aggressive for me and go through this process again. Yes, I can always get an OEM one but I would be spending big bucks for something that we know is overweight. I've not had much luck thus far with finding hard data with respect to noise levels, like at WOT. Appreciate the input though.

While the stock muffler is heavy it lasts forever. There is something nice about that.

Lightbulb

Just my $0.02, I'm on my fourth exhaust arrangement (counting stock):
    You can typically tame an after market flowmaster, magnaflow, etc.. with glass packs, but our short body can make it a challenge to fit those inserts in - especially if you go duals. It was a squeeze to get mine in.

I find that the short body and the openess of the rear cab makes for a loud ride if you go anything above stock noise levels. It'll be a challenge to try to find a balance between stock and something with bark that you'll like off the hop. The bark is cool, but probably like you I find it can wear off and be annoying or bothersome. I sometimes enjoy getting into other cars and feel the silence.

If your concerned with noise - go beefy and talk with a reputable muffler shop - I ler-ned alot from doze guys, more than from google...
    Also, on a 4,000 lb car - the stock muffler mass (~1% ?) is nothing when you factor in a full tank of gas, or bigger rims or roof basket, etc... Maybe the stock muffler helps lower our center of gravity on the trails...;P

Again, just my $0.02 - good luck. Let us know how you make out.

cheers.
    Last edited by Kenny : 04/21/2008 at 09:04 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    I find that the short body and the openess of the rear cab makes for a loud ride if you go anything above stock noise levels. It'll be a challenge to try to find a balance between stock and something with bark that you'll like off the hop. The bark is cool, but probably like you I find it can wear off and be annoying or bothersome. I sometimes enjoy getting into other cars and feel the silence.
    Agreed.
    I loved the sound of the Morgan Tec muffler on my Ironman--for a few months. Then, some days it would absolutely HURT to drive! Completely personal issues--it always sounded great!
    When I went back to stock recently, I was very pleased with the stock subtleness--until now. Now I miss the growl again!

- you have to know what it is to know what it is -