Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Had my front bearings repacked today

Had my front bearings repacked today

I took my VX to the local mechanic today that I use to do services a bit more involved then oil changes..

He has a lift and a mechanic there who has a vested interest in the shop (its a quick lube place)

He repacked my bearings for a small fee ( C-note ) and told me that the grease was drab and there were some burn marks on the bearings.. It was a good choice to have this service done..

The VX was built in july of 2000 so the grease was almost 8 years old and suffered through many hot Arizona summers outside sitting parked and has 38,000 miles on it.. I will repack them again when I do my brakes at about 60,000 miles.. it was good peace of mind.

Just wanted to pass that along for those of you thinking that the grease will make the brake change.. if your vehicle is a 2001 its almost 8 years old.. long time for lubricant

Thanks for your time
    Jeff

Yup. I agree.

I had a CV Boot replaced. When they do that do they automatically repack the bearing?
    Peace.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    Repacking the bearings is supposed to be done with the 30,000 mile "major" service.

If you live in the heat belt and don't put a lot of miles on your VX, then having it done every 2-3 years is probably a good PM.

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.

Had my front bearings repacked today ...

Me too...but I promised her I wasnt gonna brag abooot it!

jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

How much did you all pay for the repack?

Quote Originally Posted by JHarris1385 View Post
    How much did you all pay for the repack?
    I was quoted 3 hours book time from one mechanic down the street.. I used the other guy for various reasons.. and saved 35.00$ but 3 hours book time is a reasonable quote

Is this something reasonably easy that we can do ourselves? I'm sure it's messy but it's fun experimenting on the VX and trying things otu I've not done before. Do we need special tools?

Joe,

I know that Kenny did his own bearing re-pack and he said that it wasn't tough just time consuming. I am about to tackle re-packing the front bearings and replacing the rotors and brake pads myself next weekend (to get ready for Moab), so I'll let you know how it goes. For now you can read up on the procedure in the article below from the planetisuzoo site.

http://www.planetisuzoo.com/articles.htm/56
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Isuzu View Post
    Is this something reasonably easy that we can do ourselves? I'm sure it's messy but it's fun experimenting on the VX and trying things otu I've not done before. Do we need special tools?
    The hardest part is getting the bolts unstuck. Otherwise, for the drivway mechanic, it just a bit time consumming.

I saw a bearing repacking tool similar to this (the other was metal) on one of those 4X4 shows on tv recently. It looked like it would fill the rollers evenly, and be a lot easier than doing it by hand.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=97489

The roller bearing goes between the two plates. The main bolt is hollow (closed on the ends), and although you can't see it in the picture, also has a second hole in the bolt in the area between the two plates where the bearing will be. Once the bearing is placed on the bolt and centered between the two plates, a grease cerk is inserted into the other hole in the bolt, and a grease gun can then be attatched to send grease through the bolt and out through the bearing. Easy squeezy.

As I looked at that picture, I'm pretty sure the one I saw on tv had the grease cerk on the end of the bolt so it wouldn't have to be removed in order to thread the clamping nut onto the threads, but otherwise it was the same principle.

Or this kind

Found on ebay for under $20

great, thanks guys, I'll look more into this after I get my tranny fluid changed, and after I get my muffler situation resolved.......................................... .................................................. .............................
    hmmm, looking at june by my accounts!

Quote Originally Posted by JHarris1385 View Post
    Or this kind

Found on ebay for under $20

This is the part that made my bearing repack 100% faster and easy for a do-it-yourselfers. I would have replaced the bearings if they have any burning/scratching. Checker Autoparts has them for 200.00 +/- a few bucks thats the front only. If you have any questions shoot me a PM I just did this.