Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mission to Mars

I'm with you Bart, I'm sure some of this is nostalgia talking, but the first 3 movies rule. The next 3 were ok at best. I think I got tired of the story centering on a 5 year old kid who had a crush on a 16 year old girl, then the next movie centered about a teen-age brat and his tantrums, then the last movie (Episode 3) can only be remembered for ripping off Frankenstein at the end when Darth finds out that he killed Padme
    NOOOOOOOOO!!
    It was so silly I had to laugh even though it was supposed to be dramatic

Being that I was 11 years old and waited all day in line to see the premire when Star Wars was released in 1977, I know that there is alot of nostalgia in it for me.
    I do remember Lucas saying part of his inspiration for the film(s) were the CHEESY 50's serials he grew up on. Sure there are unintentional laughable moments in the films, but for example, I would have paid the price of admission alone just to watch the Yoda/Dooku saber battle in the second film, Attack of the Clones.
    Bart,
    I can see we will have plenty to talk about when camping, VX related stuff notwithsnading
    James
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have a Sith sense....I see Darth people...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Isuzu View Post
    I'm with you Bart, I'm sure some of this is nostalgia talking, but the first 3 movies rule. The next 3 were ok at best. I think I got tired of the story centering on a 5 year old kid who had a crush on a 16 year old girl, then the next movie centered about a teen-age brat and his tantrums, then the last movie (Episode 3) can only be remembered for ripping off Frankenstein at the end when Darth finds out that he killed Padme
    NOOOOOOOOO!!
    It was so silly I had to laugh even though it was supposed to be dramatic
    Yeah, its sooooo pathetic. Almost worst than the two Matrix sequels. I couldn't even watch the 3rd movie. I saw part of the Yoda scene and was like, omfg, gimme a break. When Lucas made the first three movies, he made them in such a way that they were appealing to a super wide audience. Adult or child, it didn't matter, they were good all around. I mean, the Ewoks were pushing it, but it still worked. The new movies however, are just plain hokey. All I have to say, is Jar-Jar Binks.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by snowtrooper1966 View Post
    I would have paid the price of admission alone just to watch the Yoda/Dooku saber battle in the second film, Attack of the Clones.
    Bart,
    I can see we will have plenty to talk about when camping, VX related stuff notwithsnading
    James
    Wow, that is where we differ than, I guess. That battle was soooooo cheesey it would have made me want my money back!!!

Bart

Darth Maul vs Obi Wan was the best Jedi fight ever. Its to bad Jar Jar didnt get in the way
    Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.

Glad to see we have some sci fi buffs in the group.
    I love the classic sci fi flicks. I would go to the movies as a kid and stay all day until my mother came into the movies to drag me out.
    Some of my all time classis favorites are:

The Day The Earth Stood Still
    Forbidden Planet
    Thing From Another World. Like the remake with Kirt Russell.
    Shape of Things to Come
    First Men in the Moon

I purchased all the 105 Babylon 5 episodes and am watching them again.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    IMO, the only way to watch old sci-fi, is through the eyes of MST3K...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark B View Post
    Glad to see we have some sci fi buffs in the group.
    I love the classic sci fi flicks.
    There are a lot of cool classic sci-fi movies out there. I really like Saturn 3 and The Quiet Earth. Then there are those hideous movies that make my head hurt just thinking about it, like Silent Running. And speaking of George Lucas, THX 1138 is awesome. Its hard to believe it was the same person behind Star Wars.

But all that said, in my opinion, Blade Runner is the end all, be all of sci-fi. Its simply a masterpiece. Its my favorite movie of all time, in fact.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    IMO, the only way to watch old sci-fi, is through the eyes of MST3K...
    LOL, go rent "The New Barbarians" if you can find it. You will get a good laugh outta that flick.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    There are a lot of cool classic sci-fi movies out there. I really like Saturn 3 and The Quiet Earth. Then there are those hideous movies that make my head hurt just thinking about it, like Silent Running. And speaking of George Lucas, THX 1138 is awesome. Its hard to believe it was the same person behind Star Wars.

But all that said, in my opinion, Blade Runner is the end all, be all of sci-fi. Its simply a masterpiece. Its my favorite movie of all time, in fact.

Bart
    Ah Bart, you crack me up...
    As you started your list of "headache" films, I was thinking how much I liked Silent Running, then it was top 'o your list. Guesss we'll have to agree to disagree.

James

Ah Bart, you crack me up...
    As you started your list of "headache" films, I was thinking how much I liked Silent Running, then it was top 'o your list. Guesss we'll have to agree to disagree.
    Oh, gawd.... that movie was sooooo bad. I liked the little carts -- I wanted one of those -- and the robots were kinda cute, but the story made me want to apply an ice pick to my hippocampus.

How about Dark Star? Now THERE's a classic piece of... something.

I thought the story was very relavant and socialy aware. It was made at the start of the tree hugger revoloution
    I could have done without the Joan Biaez songs, however....
    James

I thought the story was very relavant and socialy aware. It was made at the start of the tree hugger revoloution
    Exactly. And that was what was wrong with it. When I watch sci fi, I want monsters! Explosions! Lasers! Muppets? Special effects! Robots!!

In other words, I'm pretty low-brow when it comes to my movies...

The end all be all of all scifi movies had the perfect balance of action and suspense and it can be summed up with one line “LETS ROCK!!!”

TV SI-FI "Space Precinct","Space 1999", "UFO",Thunderbirds."
    ...lol fun times
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...