Thread: No sound with new stereo?

No sound with new stereo?

So today I tested out a new stereo in my VX and I ran into a problem-- no sound. The new stereo is a pioneer avic-d3. I got the wiring harness from crutchfield. Everything except the sound seemed to be working. What I am able figure out is that the pins on the harness aren't quite matching up. From what I could tell the black ground wire's pin from the wiring harness was going into a blank slot on the VX's plug. So if I'm not mistaken that is my problem. Although I wouldn't have expected it to work at all without a ground I was wondering if anyone else with an aftermarket stereo has run into the same problem? Did crutchfield send me the wrong harness, or do I need to 'customize' the harness?

As far as the mounting of the double din unit. That is a work in progress-- I'll make a post with some pics when its more presentable. Maybe I'll put up a how to if anyone else likes my....unique placement.

sounds like the harness provided by Crutchfields is suspect. Not saying it's bad, saying it is wrong.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Wiring

Yes,crutchfield seems that they do sent you the wrong adaptor

The right adaptor is made by metra & the part number is 70-7712.

I don't know how much you paid for but i got mines on ebay.com for just $ 2.99 + shipping ( $ 1.55) & it worked perfectly

I've had issues with the Crutchfield harnes. The ground wire isn't actually hooked up to anything. The stock stereo gets its ground through the frame.

Interesting side effect: the radio will only work if it is actually INSTALLED. While it is hanging out of the dash, I got no power at all.

I'd check that, first. Although I didn't get ANY power and it sounds like you are...

well just got off the phone with a crutchfield support-- he reconfirmed what you said mdwyer. So when it stops raining outside I'll just ground it to the chassis. And give it another go.

vx-less rocking an acura rsx type-sssssssss
    i too have fallen victim to the crutchfield wire harness!

i had finally installed polk db 6.5's in the back panels, polk momo component speakers in the doors, a polk db 10 sub in the back with a rockford fosgate 450.4 and a kenwood excelon x492 only to have it not work, pulled off the instrument panels and pulled the cd player out and compared the harness i was plugging into the harness in the dash

i found multiple pins on the crutchfield harness to be incorrect, used the wiring diagrams from the vehicross.pdf and by process of elimination fixed the problem!

I have a crutchfield wire harness and have had no problems with my install...

But if I were you, I would just ground the head unit straight from the pioneer harness ground wire to the chassis instead of through the wire harness.

BTW how do you like the pioneer avic-d3? My entire system in the VX is all Pioneer... Except for the head unit, at the time of purchase, I didn't have enough for the pioneer unit i wanted...
    01 VX Kaiser | Love it! Drive it! Mod it! MYVEHICROSS.com | VX-WIKI

Rancho RS9000X | VXC Shifter Plates | PV2 | Hella Micro DE fogs | Carbon Fiber Hood | AfterShock Skid Plates (front, rear, sides)

OEM 6-Disc CD Changer Incompatable w/Aftermarket DVD Player

Hi Gang: I'm a big fan of Crutchfield. They are always at the cutting edge and their customer support is second to none. I really wanted the new Pioneer AVIC-N4 DVD/Navigation with 7" flip-out display that fits the OEM in-dash opening of the VX, and to also install a rear camera. What stopped me was the new Pioneer (along with all other brands including Kenwood) WILL NOT operate/function the Isuzu OEM 6-Disc CD changer/player. Only the OEM factory in-dash head unit will operate/function the OEM 6-Disc CD player. So, if you go after-market, then your Isuzu OEM 6-Disc CD changer becomes a paper weight. Just so you know.

Most changers are paperweights already... Mine took a dump four - five months ago and I haven't had the cash to do anything about it...
    I'm sure u will here the same from everyone, go ahead with that flip-navi head unit and take out the changer while ur in there... Just so u don't have to deal with it later
    Richard
    Proud owner of a RWD VX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "It looks like an angry snake-bee!" she said

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by So-CalVX View Post
    Most changers are paperweights already... Mine took a dump four - five months ago and I haven't had the cash to do anything about it...
    I'm sure u will here the same from everyone, go ahead with that flip-navi head unit and take out the changer while ur in there... Just so u don't have to deal with it later
    Yep, makes a great place for a cubby hole...either aftermarket, or from a Rodeo or maybr Trooper...

i put a screenless head unit/dvd player in the lower slot and a dedicated screen in the upper slot..

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"