Thread: Goodbye C.O.D.: Hello GTA#4!!!!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    This is a chart I give my friends it helps them figure out what system to by.
    Last edited by kodiak : 05/01/2008 at 04:03 AM
    Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.

Nice chart, I am no longer confused now.

Apperently Bas Rutten has a radio show in the game, for those of you how know who he is.

I put in about 1.5 hours last night. I have to say, I am STRUGGLING to like the new GTA. The camera, controls and physics are downright TERRIBLE so far. So annoying I couldn't keep playing, sleeping quickly became a better option. Maybe I will get used to it, I dunno. Also, so far, the game play just seems like more of the same. So far, nothing "new" to GTA has happened.

I really hope they put a realistic gravity hack out soon, because the fact that you can be driving one of those Hummer looking trucks, hit a small obstacle on the ground, and go flying up and twisting all around is pretty stupid and annoying. Also, I find the hand to hand fighting a little frustrating. The camera sucks. The game needs auto chase cam or something. The same goes for driving. Really the only view that works, is the first person (over the hood) view. Otherwise, you can't effectively see what is in front of you while you drive. This was not a problem in previous versions of GTA. Before, the chase cam was up a little higher when in a 3rd person view while driving. You could always see what is coming in front of you.

I really don't understand why they keep changing the controls in GTA when the functions are all the same.

Worm, can you shed some light on a real game designers thought process here? ARGGGGG!

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Worm, can you shed some light on a real game designers thought process here? ARGGGGG!
    The reason GTA titles change things without reason is because.... They can. They get the sales to pretty much do whatever they want and they know people will adapt, heh. Under it all though, I tend to lean towards them simply not really caring too much about "controls" and more interested in "content". Ignorant speculations on my part, but I am a realist, heh.

You are the minority Bart. People don't care about X/Y inverting, laggy camera motions, clunky directional character movement.... they just want hookers to give 'em handjobs, to carjack some dude of his sportscar, and to shoot a squad of police with his assault rifles. Jeez, where have you been?

To be honest, I have NEVER played a GTA title. Just not my cup of tea. I live close enough to DC that if I wanted that kind of action, I would just take a lawn chair to NE DC and sit on the corner with some popcorn (and a kevlar vest), heh. Dunno though, I hear pretty interesting things about the story writing for GTA4 so maybe it will be a rental to see for myself. I care far more about a compelling story than I do graphics or content. Currently, I am still loving Lost Odyssey on the 360.

Have fun beating old women and killing hookers with RPGs.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by WormGod View Post
    The reason GTA titles change things without reason is because.... They can. They get the sales to pretty much do whatever they want and they know people will adapt, heh. Under it all though, I tend to lean towards them simply not really caring too much about "controls" and more --snip --and killing hookers with RPGs.
    Thanks Worm, for your thoughts. But actually, I do want hookers to give me handjobs and I do want to mow down loads of innocent bystanders with an AK-47, but if the game play is clunky to the point where I get overly frustrated right away, the game is not worth playing. I played again last night, and I got even more frustrated than before. The driving in GTA4 is uncannily bad, imo. The analog steering is SOOOOO loose its nearly impossible to control ANY vehicle at ANY sort of speed. And the handbrake seems to just throw you into a massive fishtail. Maybe I am just used to the previous GTAs, where driving was MUCH more tight and easy. I dunno, but so far I am still hating it. Which sucks, because I not only spent $60 on the game, I REALLY liked the previous GTAs and was REALLY looking forward to this new one.

I mean, there are some things I like about the new GTA, like the fact that when you crash you fly through the windsheild, but then this gets annoying when it keeps happening every minute or so, because the cars are damn near impossible to drive. And so far the "missions" are freakin stupid. "Go bowling with Michelle". "Take Roman to get something to eat". WTF?!?!!? Is this GTA or the SIMS??

Come on Chopper, please tell me it gets better!

Bart

its getting better.. so far ive gotten to take out an entire motorcycle gang.. off a couple of people and steal a few vehicles on missions..

im getting used to the driving slowly.. still frustrating.. if u want fun find a little old lady and punch her.... all the guys standing nearby will start to fight you!

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Quote Originally Posted by CrnCnn View Post
    Apperently Bas Rutten has a radio show in the game, for those of you how know who he is.
    What channel is that??? that is awesome. Also wonder if 360, ps3 channels are different.
    "It's not sexual harassment, I am just building up your tolerence"-Dumke

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak View Post
    This is a chart I give my friends it helps them figure out what system to by.
    That's awesome, and I totally agree. I haven't been a console fan since Super Nintendo. I find 90% of console games either completely suck, or have no long term playability. Not to mention the fact that a $600 game console is just that. Add $600 to a PC and you can make it rock.

LONG LIVE COUNTER-STRIKE!

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    That's awesome, and I totally agree. I haven't been a console fan since Super Nintendo. I find 90% of console games either completely suck, or have no long term playability. Not to mention the fact that a $600 game console is just that. Add $600 to a PC and you can make it rock.

LONG LIVE COUNTER-STRIKE!

Bart

CS heck ya.... I am a fan of battlefield as well on pc but havent gotten new one.

LMFAo Kodiak that is awesome. I am a game freak dotn have cash to get all three yet which is what I usually do. But been moding truck instead soo....

and etlsport my screen name is dumke send me and invite when you get on or around to it. Bro, phxsunfan (on boards) and myself play together. Played last two nights.

No wii owners in here?

Quote Originally Posted by JHarris1385 View Post
    No wii owners in here?
    I have thought about getting a Wii, but the games all just looks so "kiddie" to me. I am really happy with GTA4 and the amount of "F" bombs being dropped on a regular basis. They need to make more games for deranged adults like me. I was disappointed with the stripper though. She still had some electrical tape on her nips, they really need to just go all out. To hell with censorship!!

Bart

I have a wii.. usually only gets turned on after the 3rd drink.. and usually gets forgotten about after the 5th drink... it was fun at first.. lost its novelty quickly though.. at least for me.. hopefully mario kart will change that

I spent the whole day speaking in a bad Eastern European accent. (do I think this game has infinite playability?? No...but it'll be fun for a month or two)