Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Wheel Spec Info, Hard to find a one stop shop.

people have run up to 285/60/18 on stock 18s with no problems.. not sure how the 16" wheel would affect that though

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

How about nitto terra grapplers, I can get the 265/75/16 in town. Are they more aggressive than the BFG all terrains, or do they perform similar.

Wheels and tires ordered...
    20X8.5 +10mm Offset 108mm Center Bore

33X12.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers

That's all you're getting Next update will be when they're on the vehicle

Sweet!

At least you could do, is tell us when the unvailing will be.

Peace.
    Tom

p.s.
    Did you see LittleBeast's post on the center bore? Not sure if it really matters, but he said the center bore was 100mm and not 108mm.
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

Well wheels shipped this morning, from Illinois, so I'm guessing I'll have them next monday. I'm not sure how long independent 4X takes to get their orders out, but I ordered from them 8 days ago, and they have 2 key components (coil spacer, and Tie Rods) My shocks game from Allshocks.com and they Also shipped 8 days ago, however, I have no tracking information from any of my orders

Assuming everything comes in the next few days (less the wheels) I'll get the install done this week(end) and then mount the wheels and tires on Monday (assuming they're here) and then Trim Trim Trim.

Then... Pictures Pictures Pictures...

so... How does June 6th sound
    Last edited by taylorRichie : 05/27/2008 at 06:51 AM Reason: deleted wheel centric info see below post.

http://www.miata.net/garage/hubcentric.html

There's a great simple right up on hubcentric vs lugcentric.

I guess some wheels, and some vehicles can work lugcentric (relying on the lugs to center the wheel)

I think most people on this site are running in this orientation because everyone has been posting they have a 108mm bore wheel.

I'll probably order a set of rings, just to make sure there are no vibrations, but I'm not sure if there are rings to make a 100mm to 108mm.

Hopefully they just work out

Also some wheels are designed to be lugcentric, so they wouldn't rely on the hub to be centered anyway.

And if your vehicle has 6 lugs which utilize conical seat lug nuts. They will always be lugcentric. (are we this way? I've never pulled a tire)

Found the rings: http://www.justforwheels.com/index.jsp?cat=hubcentric

When I get my wheels I'll confirm the exact size of both wheel and hub, and then order some rings.
    Last edited by taylorRichie : 05/27/2008 at 07:06 AM

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast View Post
    In my opinion +15 is about as low as you should go on the VX, maybe +10, but definitely not 0 or any negatives, please.

If you want to see what - offset looks like talk to tom4bren. I would not suggest it at all. In fact if you go past the +15 that I have I think it starts to look tacky, but that is just my opinion, some people like the look. Here is a sample of negative offset on the VX:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...72/ppuser/2699

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...39/ppuser/2699

I have 265/70/17 on 0-offset rims. The stick out a little, but you hardly notice it.

"I have 265/70/17 on 0-offset rims. The stick out a little, but you hardly notice it."

Thanks for watching my back Kenny

I'll have to agree that my offset looks a little strange from the rear but all other angles look great IMHO.

BTW, we are lugcentric. Only use the rings if you purchase aftermarket rims that require them. If you try to use the conical lugnuts with a concentric rim, they'll work against each other & won't seat properly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Killer I wanted to here that we are lugcentric...

Very good... Thanks!!

And Tom, I like the look of your VX... It looks like an RC car, or some kind of toy which it is.

It does however look like it'd require a lot of hacking of the cladding.

'01 Ebony Black VX, 0801; '01 Kaiser Silver VX, 1002

Killer Offset....

Hey, Tom, don't let 'em give you grief over your offset. I think VX's look good with a little tread outside the body. I've only got a 12mm negative offset (minimal cladding trimming), but that puts the Nittos out about an inch wider than the cladding. Plus, you have the added benefit of looking like a comet when you're going down the road in a heavy rain!

Randy

"It does however look like it'd require a lot of hacking of the cladding."

Yup - didn't really notice how much till I parked next to some stockers recently when we got together in Shenandoah. PO did a good job of it but more is needed (get some rub at full lock).

"Hey, Tom, don't let 'em give you grief over your offset. I think VX's look good with a little tread outside the body."

I don't take much personally so I just let them have their fun I think there's actually about 4 inches of tread showing on mine.

"Plus, you have the added benefit of looking like a comet when you're going down the road in a heavy rain!"

More like a friggin waterfall. Mudbogs are FUUUUNNN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    I have 265/70/17 on 0-offset rims. The stick out a little, but you hardly notice it.
    Your tires are over 2" more narrow than tom4bren's which would compensate for your 0 offset and bring yours back into the ballpark in which in my opinion looks pretty good. 1" to 1 and 3/4" sticking out of fenders in my opinion looks pretty good 2"+ gets into the um wow that is not supposed to look like that range, and Tom4bren's is 4"+ sticking out. I am not saying I don't like tom4bren's VX or trying to give him a hard time, my opinion though is that the VX looks better with only a little tread sticking out. The whole "offset" thing is pretty confusing anyways. It is much easier to look at the back spacing and tread sticking out.

LittleBeast,

Y R U picking on me??? After all, NerveGas is running 36x13.50s on his 'beast' (no pun intended - that's what he calls it). BTW, he also uses 1.5 inch spacers to push them out even farther. I guess with a total of 7.5 inches of lift tho, he can pull it off. Unfortunately he doesn't have any pix in his gallery. Hopefully I'll get to see it in person at a meet-n-greet at Lake Anna this summer.

How 'bout coming to Austin on 25 Jun & showing me what a real VX is supposed to look like?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast View Post
    Your tires are over 2" more narrow than tom4bren's which would compensate for your 0 offset and bring yours back into the ballpark in which in my opinion looks pretty good. 1" to 1 and 3/4" sticking out of fenders in my opinion looks pretty good 2"+ gets into the um wow that is not supposed to look like that range, and Tom4bren's is 4"+ sticking out. I am not saying I don't like tom4bren's VX or trying to give him a hard time, my opinion though is that the VX looks better with only a little tread sticking out. The whole "offset" thing is pretty confusing anyways. It is much easier to look at the back spacing and tread sticking out.
    True, true. Offset is one aspect. When you go over 285 width with <=0 offset, the stance gets a bit awkward as well as additional stresses on suspension and axles...

And the oh so neat rooster tails from the front tires on wet roads.

I don't see us picking on you tom, it's just a matter of opinion like lifted or not lifted. Personally, I think your wide tire stance looks pretty cool, but I'd never go there for fear of vehicle inspections and extra stresses on the stock parts.

The coolest thing about the VX is how many ways we can express our selves with it. Just the difference in "attitude" between a lowered VX with 20" rims and one lifted with 15" rims is neat to see. (Not too many people can beat ldub and his tricked out personalization of his ride!!- you can hear it growl just looking at a picture) Some people do forget to be supportive as opposed to a bit critical.

cheers.
    Last edited by Kenny : 05/28/2008 at 01:34 PM

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    LittleBeast,

Y R U picking on me??? After all, NerveGas is running 36x13.50s on his 'beast' (no pun intended - that's what he calls it). BTW, he also uses 1.5 inch spacers to push them out even farther. I guess with a total of 7.5 inches of lift tho, he can pull it off. Unfortunately he doesn't have any pix in his gallery. Hopefully I'll get to see it in person at a meet-n-greet at Lake Anna this summer.

How 'bout coming to Austin on 25 Jun & showing me what a real VX is supposed to look like?
    Yeah I would like to see some pictures of NerveGas's VX as well. Sorry dude not trying to pick on you at all, I think Kenny said it best though. Your ride looks unique and I can see why you like it. It is really mean looking and great stance, it is just a little too much if I had a choice. I wouldn't want to put that kind of stress on my axles and back door, but you are pulling it off nicely. I would never suggest using spacers to push the wheels out further either but NerveGas's ride looks pretty mean too and he is pulling it off somehow. And as far as "showing you what a real VX is supposed to look like" dude you have a real VX and yours sits a little wider than mine, it doesn't make it more or less of a VX, it is just my opinion that I like a little less tread sticking out from the fender than you have on your VX. I am sure there are some people that think I have too much tread sticking out for their tastes. I get the side of mine dirty a lot quicker now with the wider tires. Each person has their own line as to what is too big or too wide. But thank goodness we all don't like exactly the same things, what a boring world that would be. And I would love to meet you and hang out June 25th, but I am flying out to the Olympic Trials on the 27th so I don't think I could make that.