Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wheel Spec Info, Hard to find a one stop shop.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wheel Spec Info, Hard to find a one stop shop.

================================================== ==========================
    WHEEL SPEC WIKI - Please take a side image showing your offset and I'll add it here

Please include all tire and wheel specs.
    ================================================== ==========================

Tires: 33X12.5R20 Nitto Terra Grapplers
    Wheels: 20X8.5 +10mm offset 108mm center Bore KMC XD Rockstars
    --

tires:285/60/18 Toyo AT
    Wheels:+18mm offset 18" Wheels
    --

tires:33X12.5 R20 Nitto Terra Grapplers
    Wheels: 20X8.5 +15mm offset Zinik Z26
    --

Tires: 33x12.50 R15 Wranglers
    Wheels: ??? Guessing 0 offset

---
    Last edited by taylorRichie : 12/29/2008 at 05:05 PM

Well, the oem wheel is a 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern, 38 mm positive offset with 108 mm center bore. I know Littlebeast was able to use 100 mm centerbore but be sure they will fit, espically when trying to remove a hot wheel that has expanded if you get my drift.

Someone here coined a wonderful phrase about the stock wheel and tires making the VX look like it is stand on it's tip toes or something to that effect, but well said.

I went with a MKW M18 wheel (see in my gallery) it is a 8.5 inch with a 18mm positive offset. I also mounted Toyo AT's, 286/60/18. I did have to crank the torsion bars, trim the front cladding and knock back the rear cladding lip, but that step might not be neccessary with the TB crank. Also had to adjust the speedometer +6%, but was simple with the scan gauge Tone sells.

Hope that helps.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Arrow

Centerline: 20"x8" with 5" backspacing.

On their site, ( www.centerlinewheels.com ) I search (from the drop down menu) using Toyota 6 lug truck & SUV, to get correct center bore.

Offset - Distance from the wheel center-line (CL) to the wheel mating surface - greater positive offset moves the tires inward (narrower track)
    Backspace - Distance from the inside lip of the wheel to the wheel mating surface
    The tricky part is that when a wheel is widened the offset and/or backspace change (actually it is impossible for both of them to remain the same), so upgrading to wider wheels is not as straightforward as "get the same offset and backspace and they will fit."

I hope this diagram will help, rather than muddy up the waters of an already murky subject...

Last edited by Ldub : 05/21/2008 at 08:16 AM

Quote Originally Posted by rowhard View Post
    Well, the oem wheel is a 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern, 38 mm positive offset with 108 mm center bore. I know Littlebeast was able to use 100 mm centerbore but be sure they will fit, espically when trying to remove a hot wheel that has expanded if you get my drift.
    Actually I ordered mine with the 108mm centerbore because that is what I was told on here, but they were WAY too big when I put them on and I measured the spare tire and it was at 100mm.
    THEN when I took off the STOCK 18"s I measured their center bore and guess what? It was 99.5mm. I don't know where this 108mm came from but it is wrong. Stock centerbore on our wheels is 100mm.

+ offset on VX?

In my opinion +15 is about as low as you should go on the VX, maybe +10, but definitely not 0 or any negatives, please.

If you want to see what - offset looks like talk to tom4bren. I would not suggest it at all. In fact if you go past the +15 that I have I think it starts to look tacky, but that is just my opinion, some people like the look. Here is a sample of negative offset on the VX:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...72/ppuser/2699

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...39/ppuser/2699

Rekin we'll just have to agree to disagree.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

I totally agree with you littlebeast, hate the 'slotcar' look

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Rekin we'll just have to agree to disagree.
    HAHA no offense I am glad somebody tried it..... And glad you bought it. Any plans to get different wheels/tires in near future?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast View Post
    In my opinion +15 is about as low as you should go on the VX, maybe +10, but definitely not 0 or any negatives, please.

If you want to see what - offset looks like talk to tom4bren. I would not suggest it at all. In fact if you go past the +15 that I have I think it starts to look tacky, but that is just my opinion, some people like the look. Here is a sample of negative offset on the VX:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...72/ppuser/2699

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...39/ppuser/2699

I have 265/70/17 on 0-offset rims. The stick out a little, but you hardly notice it.

"I have 265/70/17 on 0-offset rims. The stick out a little, but you hardly notice it."

Thanks for watching my back Kenny

I'll have to agree that my offset looks a little strange from the rear but all other angles look great IMHO.

BTW, we are lugcentric. Only use the rings if you purchase aftermarket rims that require them. If you try to use the conical lugnuts with a concentric rim, they'll work against each other & won't seat properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    I have 265/70/17 on 0-offset rims. The stick out a little, but you hardly notice it.
    Your tires are over 2" more narrow than tom4bren's which would compensate for your 0 offset and bring yours back into the ballpark in which in my opinion looks pretty good. 1" to 1 and 3/4" sticking out of fenders in my opinion looks pretty good 2"+ gets into the um wow that is not supposed to look like that range, and Tom4bren's is 4"+ sticking out. I am not saying I don't like tom4bren's VX or trying to give him a hard time, my opinion though is that the VX looks better with only a little tread sticking out. The whole "offset" thing is pretty confusing anyways. It is much easier to look at the back spacing and tread sticking out.

Quote Originally Posted by rowhard View Post

Someone here coined a wonderful phrase about the stock wheel and tires making the VX look like it is stand on it's tip toes or something to that effect, but well said.

I went with a MKW M18 wheel (see in my gallery) it is a 8.5 inch with a 18mm positive offset. I also mounted Toyo AT's, 286/60/18. I did have to crank the torsion bars, trim the front cladding and knock back the rear cladding lip, but that step might not be neccessary with the TB crank. Also had to adjust the speedometer +6%, but was simple with the scan gauge Tone sells.

Hope that helps.
    Those are the exact specs of my H3. LOL, I should swap wheels on rigs someday. Maybe I have a "thing" for those specs.
    "THEORETICALLY, STILL A TRUCK!"
    2001 VX
    Mods

2008 HUMMER H3

wiki Started on first post...

Please others contribute to this thread

Richie,

Do you need me to take 'nuther pic or can you grab one from my gallery?

Tom

I like really wide tires... I love the "offset from hell" personally

unfortunately it's illegal to run tires where the tread sticks out further than the body and in NH we have annual state inspections too... I don't need the hassle.

so with that said, what's the widest tire & maximum back spacing I can run while staying flush with the body? could I run 12.50" tires with adequate backspacing and without sticking out?

I don't mind buying new wheels to fit a wider tire either (in-fact I plan on it).

A couple other questions related to this topic:

Can I fit 15" wheels on the VX without interfering with the brakes? or is 16" the smallest I can go?

if I install a 3" suspension lift will the VX clear 33" tires without any trimming?