Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Wheel Spec Info, Hard to find a one stop shop.

33X12.5 Won't fit our vehicles with any wheel/tire combo unless you...

A: Lift so high your CV boots shred once a month.
    B: Body lift and Torsion crank/OME912/Spring Puck.
    C: Do a lot of trimming.

I think everyone here did C... I of course had to do more than most because of my offset.

If you're just looking to make your vehicle capable, more than aesthetically mean. Todd Adams probably has the best set up. I think he can go more places than the rest of us.

He has ~32X10.5" tires, on near factory spec wheels. But he has an ARB Locker up front.

I'll answer your questions as well (for me not on Littlte Beasts Behalf)

1. I would have had to cut less, but still would have had to cut.

2. Mine are 20X8.5

3. We all lift our vehicles in the same method OME912 Coils in the rear, and a torsion crank. I did OME rear, with a 1" Coil spacer. And a hefty torsion crank. 15+ I started at ~32" to the bottom of the fender. And now I'm up there... with 33" tires below. (I'll measure if you need me to.

4. I trimmed my fenders and inside the wheel wells as well. Also had to cut off the front of my Sliders. No close ups. But I know LittleBeast has them in his Gallery, I used his images to prepare me for what I had to do.

Lift Wiki <- Visit that Link for a wealth of information as well.

I guess I'm confused over what exactly is getting trimmed...
    I looked at the pictures on LB's gallery... maybe I'm missing it but it doesn't look like the cladding was cut at all.

Do you actually cut the cladding or just the fender liner?
    Do you need to cut any of the metal bits under the fender liner or just bang on them for a while?
    Do you trim/bang anything in the rear or is this only necessary for turning clearance?

I don't think anyone has had to trim the rear wheel wells.

Front:

Everyone had to do some trimming

Some performed metalurgical deformation with a BFH

Some removed a bracket behind the cladding

It all depends on how much trimming you need. I personally need more since my wheel offset is so pronounced. The PO did a great job on the trimming but I need a little more & that means that I'll have to hammer or remove the bracket (hope not).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by twistedsymphony View Post
    LittleBeast, a couple questions if you don't mind...

1. do you think you would have room for MORE backspacing or a higher offset on your setup without rubbing?

2. how wide are your wheels?

3. how much lift are you running

4. did you trim your fenders and if so, do you have close up pics of where you trimmed them? .

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...Beast+BigBeast

The 10th photo on that post shows you what is involved on the inside of the front wheels wells. That is the only major trimming you have to do and it is not that bad and not noticable at all unless you are really looking for it and stick your head into the wheel wells. On the front of the front cladding you have to do very small trimming as well, not that hard and definitely not that noticable. I think I have pics of almost everything you need to visualize in my gallery if not let me know and I can take some more.

1. yes
    2. Wheels are 20x8.5 but the tires are 32.95" x 12.8": http://www.nittotire.com/#index%2Eti...appler%2Esizes
    3. 3" OME912 springs + torsion crank
    4. Pic as I was in the middle of trimming inner fender of front passenger side wheel well:

Pic of removed materials:

After trimming was done:

I have some more pics of the trimming of the front at home if that would help.
    Last edited by LittleBeast : 07/23/2008 at 01:17 PM

thanks for the great replies

LB, I think I see what you did now. you trimmed the cladding along the bottom...

on the right-ish side I see a vertical metal piece with what looks like 3 tabs, is that what you hammer down?

I'm assuming this is the side of the wheel well near the doors... do you need to modify the front side of the wheel well too, or just the door side?

on last semi-off topic question, how badly do the 33"s hit your gas mileage over stock?

thanks again for all of this

Mine was trimmed on the front side of the wheel wells. That's the easy trim since there's no bracket to get in your way. You should be able to mark the cladding with a grease pencil to guide you in how much will have to be cut off or better yet, take a picture of your wheel well & practice on that. There are some wheel well pix in my gallery that I took for someone a while back (they didn't come out very good though).

Can't say how my gas mileage was effected since it was done by the PO.

I had to trim a bunch on the front of mine as well... But like LB said, no one notices unless they're an owner of these vehicles, and they look for it. It'll be even less noticeable after I get Bedliner sprayed on all my cladding.

etlsport strikes again with an unheard of number of random photos!

heres a comparison of cobrajet's VX and tom4bren's VX nose to nose notice how tom's wheel well continues down at an angle while cobra's rounds down to be even with the other side

(i just cut out the middle of the photo.. the height difference is actual.. and just for fun in the background you can see cstylesVX and my VX height side by side)

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Eric - U Da Man

BTW, mine is a 3" lift and I think Andres' is too. Good photo to guestimate the hood height difference with/without lift. I wish now that we had taken one similar with the arse ends. If we get together at Lake Anna next month we'll have to try.

you guys rock

FYI,

I had the camera out taking some pix of the diff drop brackets I just installed so I took a few others as well that pertain to this thread:

full size spare on rear door

pix of tire protrusion for the wiki mentioned earlier

Not for this thread but I also took pix of Tone's hitch with receiver installed (yes, it's quite a drop but works well for both the boat & SeaDoo trailers).

The photos are in my gallery, enjoy.

Tom

Wheel specs

I got in mind having new wheels n' tires & ever since i've been searching about all this info,i guess i found every thing.

American racing have a excelent line up of wheels right now,you guys can also click by tirerack.com & there'll be 15 wheels that fits perfectly,from 16'' to 20'' sizes.

My 1st choice is the 19 x 8.5,but 20 x 9 with 15 mm offset shouldn't look bad neither
    Dakar was just the begining.

Tom I forgot your wheelspecs but I added you to the main page...

I don't know my wheel specs either. PO installed them & I haven't figgered out what brand they are much less any of the specs.

The tires are 33x12.50 R15 Wranglers.

Wheel specs

Quote Originally Posted by taylorRichie View Post
    Thanks for the help, and thanks for the Diagram LDub, it is confusing, but I'm grasping it.

As for the 108mm centerbore, I'm guessing that came up because that's what most aftermarket wheels have (when they have a large center bore) I haven't seen anything with a 100, they're all 108. I believe that's what the H3 requires.

Tom4Bren, I do have a question about your spare tire... Does the rear door feel like it can handle the weight of that when it's open? I'm considering putting my fullsize spare back there like you, but I worry about the weight on the door.
    I called the tirerack customer service about the center bore issue & they told me that the 108mm is the standart for most 6x5.5 wheels.