Thread: Purchasing advice and Common Problems

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Purchasing advice and Common Problems

I'm new here and I don't own a VX... yet...

My Story:
    I was the happy owner of a 1999 Toyota Tacoma but recently Toyota has done a buy back program, offering to buy back Tacomas in my year range that have excessive rust or rot in the frame. I took mine in to get checked and they wouldn't let me drive it home

While I have to now find myself a new 4x4 Toyota was kind enough to give me a healthy check in exchange for my Tacoma.

While looking through some local listings I came across a VX for sale not to far away, and at a good price too... I had completely forgotten about these cool little SUVs. I had considered buying one new back in 1999 but it was out of my price range enough that I had opted for a Jeep Cherokee instead.

Interesting enough my decision now is looking like it will be between a Jeep Cherokee and a VX.

My Questions:
    Anyway, I'm not one to make a decision without doing my research. looking at a lot of the VX info it seems that there are a number of problems with the engine's burning oil...

If I'm going to buy one I want to make sure it's in tip top Shape. I own a couple of Nissan 240SXs that I use in the Summer, I tune them and occasionally race so my 4x4 needs to be a dependable vehicle that I drive in the winter months and in the summer when my Nissans are getting worked on.

Are there any common problems with these vehicles that I should know about when looking to buy one? Any common rust areas? any common mechanical problems? Any common areas of the interior that break or wear out? Are there any tell-tale signs that the engine is burning oil?

Also I wouldn't be adverse to buying a cheap VX with a blown engine and having it rebuilt, heck if I could find one cheap enough I'd even consider putting in a stick shift... are there any good places to look for dead VXs or do they typically just get crushed when the engine goes?

I really like these vehicles and I'm a fan of rare vehicles with an enthusiast community behind them, I just want to make sure that when I buy one I'm buying one in good shape or I'm at least aware of all the potential problems when I put the money down on it.

Any advice would be appreciated :bwgr:
    Last edited by twistedsymphony : 05/22/2008 at 10:29 AM Reason: grammar