Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jack Options

Jack Options

OK, since I lifted, and since the stock jack that comes with the VX is about as useless as the donut spare, and since I really like to keep other things in the place of the jack, I wanted to start a thread and see what other options for jacks people have out there.

I really like the idea of having a high lift jack strapped solidly to my roof rack, but a high lift jack isn't really usefull for the height of my VX. But is there something like that, that I could strap to the roof rack outta the way, that won't look like crap up on top of my uber sexy Ebony wasteland machine?

Lets here some ideas.

Bart

It's hard to beat a good trolley jack.
    Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.

True, but is that something you want to carry around all the time??

Regarding the High Lift jack options, are these kinda over kill for us because we don't really have any lift points, or is it just because we are not lifted up that high?

It looks like there is some kind of mini high lift jack out there maybe.

Bart

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    I had been leaning towards one of these...

http://www.airjackusa.com/

But after my "coil escape" incident...it seems hard to beat a Hi Lift jack in the tow socket...

....for the rear problems anyway.

(Gawd that sounds nasty!)

jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Those airbag jacks are pretty useless...the rocks on the trail can puncture them. A high lift can be used in a few differant ways on the VX. They sell an attachment that allows you to hook it to the wheels to lift, as Jo said the tow hitch (if you have on) or rock sliders (if you have those). You need to use caution...as you lift the high lift jack tends to move inward towards the VX body parts!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

bart i can tell u from experience its very tough to get a VX up on a hi-lift.. i got high centered and a jeeper passing through offered to let us use his in place of the vx stock jack.. took forever.. only way we were able to get it to work was to run straps around the tow hitch and behind the pin, then put the other end hanging over the hi-lift and lift that way.. it was super unstable.

hi-lift makes an attachment to lift by a wheel.. but that wont do you much good for changing a tire.. a taller hydraulic bottle jack is probably your best option

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Yeah, I am thinking of just keeping the bottle jack, or maybe trying one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/M151-...spagenameZWDVW

I think they do come in black!

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Yeah, I am thinking of just keeping the bottle jack, or maybe trying one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/M151-...spagenameZWDVW

I think they do come in black!

Bart

I dont like that style. I had one fold in half when working on my Honda once.

Quote Originally Posted by CrnCnn View Post
    I dont like that style. I had one fold in half when working on my Honda once.
    Really! That's no good. I will probably just stick with my bottle for now...

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Really! That's no good. I will probably just stick with my bottle for now...

Bart

Yeah. I like the ones Beau had. You should be able to paint them black and they, or one may fit in the basket with your tire. They wouldnt take up too much room in the back. I wonder if one would fit in your door.

They are sort of heavy and clunky but they have a large, stable footprint and go up pretty high. No so hot in the post apocalyptic department, but that's why they make matte black and OD green and flat tan.

From the company:

6000lb Capacity. Patented design combines jack stand and bottle jack in one unit. Safety bar locks unit at desired height. Wide steel base for stability under load. Height Range: 11” to 21”. Perfect for SUV’s, off-road vehicles, construction jobs, framing and floor joist work.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

I have that jack stand and it works great. I was going to use it to put in Jo's spring, but some one came with a high lift. I keep mine in a tool box in the back.
    Why?..... because stock sucks.

So, do you have the brand and model number handy for that jack stand?

Found it at Tractor Supply for $29.95, seems like a good price. http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/...stingPage=true
    Last edited by rowhard : 05/23/2008 at 06:28 AM Reason: addition
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Quote Originally Posted by rowhard View Post

Found it at Tractor Supply for $29.95, seems like a good price. http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/...stingPage=true
    I like it! I think I’m going to get 2 of those as soon as I get paid for my next project. I love the highs and hate the lows of running your own business.

That's what I got mine for. I bought mine from Pep boys. They are a bit tight at first, until the seals set up, but I think the base is bigger than a Hi-lift.