Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cherry Bomb - Vortex!

Talking Cherry Bomb - Vortex!

I just spent part of my Stimulus Check on a new exhaust for my Ebony. It's a Vortex, by Cherry Bomb. So far I couldn't be happier! I wanted something a tad quieter than the Flowmaster Super40, yet with better low-end torque and gas mileage. I am still testing the mileage part... but the torque is better than stock! That's all I care about right now. The muffler is similar in design to the Flowmaster, but with a surrounding of fiberglass that adds back the backpressure that I lost. The sound is also similar to the Flowmaster, yet without the "hollow" sound. $275 later... smiles all around!

Some of you are probably saying:

"I wouldn't be caught dead putting a "Cherry Bomb" on my vehicle..."
    I thought the same thing when I was told about the Vortex. Turns out Cherry Bomb was bought out by another company that gave them a bit of a turnaround.

Here's their website for more info:
    http://www.cherrybomb.com/products/
    SilverBullet75
    Formerly: '01 Ebony VXSTLTH
    Now: '08 Saab 9-7x Aero 6.0L

i saw the commercials for that muffler.. liked the look of it a lot.. but dont have the money to get it now.. sound clip please!

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

How can you tell the difference in backpressure? I am looking at 3 options:
    -MagnaFlow part# 14378
    -Cherry Bomb part# 88115
    -FlowMaster 50 Series SUV part# 524554
    All are dual in/dual out (2.25") except the Cherry Bomb is (2.25"in/2.5" out). I plan on replacing the old OEM Cats with MagnaFlow Cats (part# 54305) as well. I am tired of the very loud PV1, and want to try something new, hopefully a little more quiet, PV1 sounds a little ricey over 4K rpms.

"but with a surrounding of fiberglass that adds back the backpressure that I lost"

I'm confused. I thought that the whole reason for a high performance exhaust system was to reduce back pressure. You talk as if back pressure is a good thing. Can someone 'splain?
    Last edited by tom4bren : 05/30/2008 at 08:11 AM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

If he's talking about installing a high flow cat, I doubt he wants back pressure... He's probably wanting back pressure specs to possibly determine how loud it'll be??

Guys,

I'm at a loss as well.. common sense tells us that less backpressure equals benefits, not negative results!... but...

All I know is that when I went with the Flowmaster Super40, which has much more open flow than stock, I lost a lot of low-end torque, some hp, and gas mileage was terrible. (also confirmed by VCross007 when he tried the same setup)

I put the stock muffler back on, and everything was great again... but too quiet.

So, I found a happy medium... a similar design (chambered), but with fiberglass surrounding the chambers (which should add some resistance).
    So far so good! Throttle response seems improved. Torque is GREAT. Gas mileage (so far) is definately improved.

So, I don't have any dyno data to "prove" it... just experience.

I'd also like to apologize to VCross007 for leading him to the Flowmaster prematurely...

Littlebeast,
    RE: "I am looking at 3 options:
    -MagnaFlow part# 14378
    -Cherry Bomb part# 88115
    -FlowMaster 50 Series SUV part# 524554"

My Cherry Bomb Vortex part number is 88101.
    Also, according to the muffler guy, the FlowMaster 50 series is pretty quiet... almost like stock with a little bit of a "throat" to it.
    (I never looked at the MagnaFlow... always heard they were too raspy/loud)

I'll try to get a sound clip soon... maybe today.
    Thanks!

Lightbulb Deep thoughts, by Jack Handy...

The fiberglass packing in the muffler, or resonator, does not add resistance per se or affect backpressure. All it does is dampen the reflecting sound to help reduce the resonance and blend the exhaust note. Extra baffling in the muffler and smaller pipes will create back pressure.

Theoretically we should get some minor improvement in performance with higher flowing exhaust through the scavenging effect it is supposed to make. Meaning it will help "suck" the exhaust out of the piston chamber as opposed to letting it be pushed out. I guess this is supposed to reduce the effort the piston makes on its second rise to exhaust the cylinder - in essence improving efficiency.

Were the duals and high flow cats and open mufflers will shine is if you improve intake air velocity/amount. i.e. better intake, and ultimately, a supercharger.

I'd say the more insulation the better as opposed to constraining flow with baffles (my old Morgan tec had no insulation and basic baffling so it liked to develop a nasty resonance at a specific rpm due to harmonics - insulation dampens this effect). I think Magnaflow mufflers are on the loud side due to their goal to maintain high flows with minimal baffling. From my experience, they should be complimented with a resonator or glass pack to tone em down a bit.

Personally, I'd lean more to a heavier muffler just to get the sound levels down. If you don't plan on supercharging, and want a growl, I think one of the heavier models by Flowmaster, Cherry Bomb, Aeroexhaust, should work.

I's say our biggest challenges are being 6-cyl (we all really want that 8-cyl purr) as well as a very short underbody with little room to play with pipes and such.

Backpressure is fairly straitforward. More usually increases torue, but decrases horsepower and vice versa. There is obviously a sweetspot where you get the best of both and sound is always a concern. This is why you hear people on here adding dffusers and restricters, too much free flow equals no low end get up and go, while too much back pressure makes you engine have to try and "pump" out your exhaust more than normal. Try removing you muffler and driving around the block. You will feel a tangible loss in the acceleration/pickup department.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

flowmaster super 40

Yea, I'm all stock, I did the elbow removal plus k&n filter. I noticed good mileage and hp gain, and also when i replaced the pcv valve. When i put the super 40 on i noticed a decrease in low end torque. Also , it seems to shift between gears around 50mph. If i let up on the gas, the rpms go up above 2k, but if i put my foot back down, they'll go up to about 2300 or so then shift down into 4th. it's really annoying and i dont know what to do. I get about 300 miles to the tank, im currently at 283 and have a quarter tank left, but ill fill up tomorrow to be safe. I want to go to borla, but i want to make sure that muffler that ldub has has better backpressure. I guess if you have too little bp, it has a negative effect and flows too much. who knew

oh and to silverbullet, it's cool man. with cars it's all trial and error. you just keep tryin till you find the muffler u want. I just want something loud and mean

That's why I've always like supertrapp exhuasts. You buy a muffler, then tune the backpressure, and sound to the "sweat spot" for you.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by VCross007 View Post
    I just want something loud and mean
    If you lived closer, I could introduce you to a couple of my X's.........

Quote Originally Posted by taylorRichie View Post
    That's why I've always like supertrapp exhuasts. You buy a muffler, then tune the backpressure, and sound to the "sweat spot" for you.
    I almost went with SuperTrapp... but the last time I did, the sound was too "Brapppp"y...

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet75 View Post
    I almost went with SuperTrapp... but the last time I did, the sound was too "Brapppp"y...
    I did Dual 4.5" ones on my 4.3 Liter V6... It did sound a bit Brappy, but more THroaty.

It sounded great about 3rd gear Wide Open Throttle.

Exhaust is definitely a tough one.

any updates on this topic?