Thread: Cherry Bomb - Vortex!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Backpressure is fairly straitforward. More usually increases torue, but decrases horsepower and vice versa. There is obviously a sweetspot where you get the best of both and sound is always a concern. This is why you hear people on here adding dffusers and restricters, too much free flow equals no low end get up and go, while too much back pressure makes you engine have to try and "pump" out your exhaust more than normal. Try removing you muffler and driving around the block. You will feel a tangible loss in the acceleration/pickup department.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

flowmaster super 40

Yea, I'm all stock, I did the elbow removal plus k&n filter. I noticed good mileage and hp gain, and also when i replaced the pcv valve. When i put the super 40 on i noticed a decrease in low end torque. Also , it seems to shift between gears around 50mph. If i let up on the gas, the rpms go up above 2k, but if i put my foot back down, they'll go up to about 2300 or so then shift down into 4th. it's really annoying and i dont know what to do. I get about 300 miles to the tank, im currently at 283 and have a quarter tank left, but ill fill up tomorrow to be safe. I want to go to borla, but i want to make sure that muffler that ldub has has better backpressure. I guess if you have too little bp, it has a negative effect and flows too much. who knew

oh and to silverbullet, it's cool man. with cars it's all trial and error. you just keep tryin till you find the muffler u want. I just want something loud and mean

That's why I've always like supertrapp exhuasts. You buy a muffler, then tune the backpressure, and sound to the "sweat spot" for you.

Quote Originally Posted by taylorRichie View Post
    That's why I've always like supertrapp exhuasts. You buy a muffler, then tune the backpressure, and sound to the "sweat spot" for you.
    I almost went with SuperTrapp... but the last time I did, the sound was too "Brapppp"y...
    SilverBullet75
    Formerly: '01 Ebony VXSTLTH
    Now: '08 Saab 9-7x Aero 6.0L

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet75 View Post
    I almost went with SuperTrapp... but the last time I did, the sound was too "Brapppp"y...
    I did Dual 4.5" ones on my 4.3 Liter V6... It did sound a bit Brappy, but more THroaty.

It sounded great about 3rd gear Wide Open Throttle.

Exhaust is definitely a tough one.

any updates on this topic?

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by VCross007 View Post
    I just want something loud and mean
    If you lived closer, I could introduce you to a couple of my X's.........